Project Management Jobs, Consultancy Job , Research, International Organizations Jobs,
Innovation Strategy Lead
- The Innovation Strategy Lead will help Airbel teams develop strategies to take projects from idea to scale. The role will lead teams to define a vision, build a strategic roadmap, and develop an operational plan. The Innovatoin Strategy Lead will also play an essential role in developing quantitative modeling to drive critical decisions across the Airbel team.
Work with Global Research and Innovation Priorities (GRIPs) within Airbel to create and drive their strategic roadmaps and operational plans.
- Drive strategy and strong execution for teams, in line with their strategic roadmaps so that they can collectively make rapid progress against an ambitious vision. Work in this area will entail deep analysis of key challenges, quantitative problem sizing, client segmentation, pathways to scale, and assessments/mitigation of key risks.
- Develop operational plans that include budget, hiring, and timelines to structure team’s activities in accordance to strategy.
- Develop effective and efficient processes to bring together key decision-makers and stakeholders and align them towards driving forward key actions and decisions.
- Guide teams on pivoting and adjusting strategy as needed; work with team leads to continually assess the strategy against team opportunities, constraints, challenges, and external environment.
- Articulate clear funding needs based on what is needed to implement strategic roadmaps; draft fundraising proposals when relevant, in collaboration with colleagues
Grow our team’s use of data-driven, quantitative modeling to drive critical decisions at Airbel and through the broader IRC.
- Develop a consistent, repeatable approach to quantitative modeling to improve our ability to estimate size of client need across countries and programming areas. Work in partnership with country teams to project potential impact and scale for key interventions or opportunity areas.
- Create an approach to visualizing data and insights from quantitative models that allow teams to understand implications of the model developed and make effective and efficient decisions on pathways to pursue.
- Lead the operationalization of this new vision for how we can better leverage quantitative models to size client needs and respond accordingly; this entails working with many stakeholders, iterating on approach, and working rapidly to put feedback into action.
Provide strategy support to projects designing, testing and scaling new innovations across Airbel.
- Support teams to effectively frame problems and possible solutions, to size and segment markets, to generate data-backed hypotheses, create project plans to execute, and analyze data from prototypes and pilots.
- This role is a great fit for someone who likes developing new approaches to complex problems, who loves iterating ideas with colleagues, and can jump between high-level strategy and the details of operationalizing.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent professional experience.
- 5-8 years of experience in conducting strategic planning, leading on qualitative and quantitative analysis to define strategic pathways, and operationalizing plans.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrated experience generating data-driven models to make strategic decisions.
- Ability to solve complex-problems, bring together quantitative modeling and qualitative analysis, and distill data into actionable insights.
- Able to engage and align an interdisciplinary team, communicate with senior leaders, and facilitate a group to make effective decisions.
- Ability to work well in a distributed, multicultural, fast paced environment.
- Familiarity with quantitative and qualitative research methodologies applied in medicine and social science.
- Experience in humanitarian setting or development contexts and/or an international NGO.
- Experience driving strategy at either a top tier strategy consulting firm, in the strategy development function of a global organization, or in a strategy role at a startup.
- Fluency in French and/or Arabic.
- Standard work office environment
- Up to 25% travel possible
Consultancy – Research Assistants
- In partnership with the IKEA Foundation, the IRC and a network of local and global partners have developed a program – Refugees in East Africa: Boosting Urban Innovations for Livelihoods Development (Re: Build) – that sets out to do just that. Re: Build’s vision is for urban refugees and vulnerable host residents to achieve economic self-reliance and benefit fromstrengthened urban economic, regulatory, and social environments. Re: Build will aim to enable change at varying levels, from better access to livelihoods opportunities and inclusive services within communities, to improved refugee-related policies and more targeted and effective service delivery from national, regional, and global actors.
We will do this by delivering an integrated multi-stakeholder program with three core pillars:
- Service Provision: delivering livelihoods services and community- and market-oriented interventions to 20,000 clients in low-income neighbourhoods in Nairobi and Kampala.
- Evidence and Learning: gathering evidence and learning through an iterative process of testing involving pilots, randomized control trials (RCTs), monitoring data, and other tailored methods that help build the picture of what works to improve urban refugee livelihoods; and
- Influence and Adoption: establishing a bold influencing agenda aimed at changing policies, practices, and investments at national, regional, and global levels by encouraging adoption of program evidence and learning.
Ongoing Wave 1 RCT
- In collaboration with researchers from the Center for Global Development (CGD), Georgetown University, University of Rochester, and Economic Policy Research Centre (EPRC), Re:Build is currently implementing wave 1 RCT in Kenya. This RCT was launched in July 2022 and will run through May 2024.
Wave 2 Pilots and RCT
- The wave 2 pilot design and implementation commence in August 2023. Leading up to the RCT launch, the IRC and the research team will conduct several small-scale pilots to further refine the interventions to be evaluated. The pilots will launch in September 2023 and could run until the end of January 2024. During this time, the research team will also target and register potential clients for the RCTs so that the full sample list is finalized by February 2024. The launch of the study will focus on randomization, baseline data collection, and intervention roll-out.
Statement Of Work
The research assistants will be expected to perform the following roles (not limited to).
- Participate in the training on RCT methodologies.
- Client mobilization, registration, and recruitment.
- Client info sessions, onboarding, and monitoring.
- Maintain communication with the RCT clients including attending to their inquiries.
- Data collection.
- Business verification and spot checks.
- Ensure compliance with organizational performance standards, code of conduct, and safeguarding policy.
- Adhere to confidentiality procedures and policies when collecting, storing, and sharing data.
- Report writing.
- Keep the supervisor appraised of all outputs, feedback and issues arising from the project activities conducted.
- Interaction with Principal Investigators.
- Translation and transcription as required by the research team.
- To perform other duties as assigned and agreed upon with the supervisor.
- Qualified candidates to attach Refugee ID.
- Degree or Diploma in Education, International Development, Anthropology, Sociology, Linguistics, Community Development, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Business Administration, or a related field.
- Experience in data collection, analysis, or research dissemination desirable.
- Minimum 1-year research experience, specifically implementing research activities in Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs).
- This position is open to Refugees based in Nairobi.
- Language skills: Strong preference to candidates who speaks Somali, Oromo and French. Refugees are strongly encouraged to apply
- Experience working with refugee communities in urban settings.
- Experience managing data collection and concrete knowledge of open-source tools such as ODK collect, KoBo Toolbox, Survey CTO or CommCare platforms.
- Excellent people skills. Approachable personality and patience to connect with clients and address their unique needs.
- Strong communication and report-writing skills.
- Flexible approach to the changing nature of work and ability to adapt to rapidly changing work demands and expectations.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a multicultural team.
- Computer skills, especially Ms. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.