Want to Work with UN and NGOs?
What are the qualifications?
Free Event Register here
Population Reference Bureau (PRB) Jobs, Communications Advisor Jobs
Sr. Communications Advisor
- Position: Sr. Communications Advisor
- Type: Full Time
- Location: Kenya
- Population Reference Bureau (PRB), is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) based in Washington, DC. PRB is a global leader in driving evidence-based decisionmaking to improve health programs and policies. PRB informs people around the world about population development issues and empowers them to use the information to advance the well-being of current and future generations. PRB’s strategic focus is anchored around three strategic sectoral priorities: Population, Health, and the Environment. PRB has a regional office in Nairobi from where it implements the USAID PACE Project and other programs focused in East and Southern Africa (ESA). Much of PRB’s work focuses on reproductive health and gender topics, including youth reproductive health, maternal health, and women’s leadership. We use state-of-the-art communication approaches to support partners to advocate for increased and sustained commitment to reproductive health and family planning in the region. We work closely with national and local governments, civil society and the media.
- PRB is looking for an exceptional communicator to drive visibility of program learning and results, and to expand our programming in the ESA region. As an ideal candidate for the position, you will translate successful program learning into tools for replication and scale up, grow PRB’s programs in the region and bring attention to key issues through compelling presentation of results in digestible formats. This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya and will report to the Kenya Country Director (CD)/Regional Advisor ESA, and work closely with PRB’s international programs team in Kenya, ESA Region, and Washington, DC home office.
USAID PACE Project: Kenya Communications (roughly 1/3 effort)
- The PACE (Policy, Advocacy, and Communication Enhanced for Population and Reproductive Health) Project ensures that family planning and population issues are included in policies and programs as key to sustainable, equitable economic growth and development. PACE contributes to the Journey to Self-Reliance by building the capacity of the next generation of family planning (FP) champions and of partners to advocate for FP and secure commitments to FP from leaders within and outside the health sector. Under PACE in Kenya, we work with county leadership to increase financial commitment to health and family planning, and with national institutions to share program learning at national level. PACE also works in partnership with a number of national NGOs to increase capacity to advocate for FP and reproductive health (RH). In order to strengthen an enabling environment for family planning, we support civil society and media to bring attention to local priorities. In support of PACE results, the Senior Communications Advisor will:
- Work closely with Kenya Country Director/Regional Advisor (ESA), lead the development of a communication strategy and work plan with clear activities, timelines, and deliverables for PACE Kenya.
- Work across the Kenya team to conceptualize PACE technical topics (Reproductive Health/Family Planning, budget advocacy, population dynamics, youth) and product formats for knowledge translation based on emerging findings, global information gaps, and decision-maker priorities.
- Synthesize data and learning in clear, concise, and visually compelling formats such as briefs, memos, fact sheets, blogs, infographics, newsletters, or social media posts. Specific tasks could include writing content, giving technical direction to graphic designers, videographers, and others; and overseeing production.
- Create and implement systematic knowledge sharing plans to ensure that knowledge translation products reach the intended audiences.
- Coordinate communications product review processes with the PRB D.C. team.
- Assure technical accuracy of content and relevancy of products in consultation with Kenya staff and partners; provide input on design of products.
- Prepare or contribute to technical and program-related presentations and reports.
- Work with Regional Office Assistant to identify and evaluate vendors, consultants and other resources in Kenya who can produce materials locally, at competitive prices and PRB standards of quality. Build roster of communications vendors.
?PRB Regional/Global Projects (roughly 1/3 effort)
PRB implements global and regional activities in ESA. These projects harness PRB core capacities in policy communication and evidence driven decisionmaking to show how population dynamics, including family planning, and environmental change interact and affect human and planetary well-being, promote youth leadership in reproductive health and engage policy makers in understanding and advancing the demographic dividend. In support of PRB global programs in ESA, the Senior Program Communications Advisor will:
- Work closely with the Regional Advisor (ESA), to manage additional PRB regional project activities, including communication with partners, donors, consultants, and contractors; oversee work plans, timelines, and budgets; monitor and document project outcomes and impacts.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of new communications tools and approaches that assist stakeholders in creating an enabling environment for FP/RH policy development and implementation in Kenya and the region.
- Draft and/or provide content and editorial input on diverse PRB materials related to population, family planning, youth reproductive health, the demographic dividend, and other topics.
- Co-facilitate workshops, meetings, and training sessions for in-country and regional stakeholders. Design training agendas and prepares materials to support training/meeting objectives.
- Contribute to various aspects of the IP Department’s work, including responding to ad hoc requests for information and presentations, and representing PRB at professional conferences and meetings.
- Kenya and ESA New Business Development (roughly 1/3 effort)
- To grow its programs in Kenya and Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA) region, PRB needs dedicated and diversified funding that will enable it to expand its programmatic and geographical coverage. This calls for a robust resource mobilization strategy which accounts for a changing donor landscape and draws from lessons learned from current resource mobilization efforts. To this end, the new Senior Advisor, Program Communications will lead PRB’s efforts to establish a clear overview of current and potential funding opportunities as well as program FP/RH communication strategies. In addition, the post holder will be instrumental in developing programmatic proposals and concepts to bilateral (USAID, DFID etc.), and private foundations and corporate funders. In support of PRB resource mobilization efforts, the Senior Communications Advisor will:
- Review PRB Kenya Draft Resource Mobilization Strategy, work plan, annual funding raising work plan, pipeline of funding efforts, and recommend areas of improvement.
- In close coordination with Kenya Country Director/Regional Advisor and building on the partnership landscape exercise undertaken in 2019, identifies and follows up on potential partnership opportunities for PRB in ESA based on our global, regional and Kenya experience/qualifications.
- Explore and map new aid modalities and actors, and outline a systematic and strategic approach to leverage these modalities/actors as a basis of diversifying funding sources
- Contribute regional and national intelligence and preparation for ESA BD discussions, including drafting proposal capture plans and desk research for larger funding opportunities from institutional donors such as USAID and DFID.
- In coordination with ESA BD group, draft PRB capacity statements, positioning pieces, and related products to facilitate donor visibility and outreach.
- Draft concept briefs for internal discussion and go/no go decisions for funding opportunities.
- Take both lead and supporting roles towards designing and writing proposals, costing, and budgeting of activities.
- Represent PRB in relevant networks and at professional meetings, as assigned.
This position is restricted to candidates authorized to work in Kenya.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in public policy, public relations, public health, or a related field (e.g., international relations, journalism).
- A minimum of 10 years of experience as a communication officer for a national or donor-funded program in health or reproductive health/family planning.
- Exceptional writing skills
- Excellent organizational, and oral presentation skills.
- Experience using data and evidence to advocate for policy change, conduct policy analyses, and/or design advocacy strategies for policy audiences. Experience analyzing and presenting results of data to non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated technical experience in two or more of the following technical areas in the East and Southern Africa region: family planning, maternal and child health, trends in fertility, contraceptive use and age structure, including dependency ratios, adolescent reproductive health, women’s economic empowerment, and education.
- Proven track record of new business development including proposal writing.
- Experience working with an array of donors or donor funded projects such as USAID, DfID, CIDA, SIDA, UN etc
- Fluent in English and with excellent English writing skills.
- Ability to work effectively in teams and with professionals at different levels (such as in-country partners, international technical organizations, and donors). Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously, adhering to deadlines.
- Availability to travel up to 35 percent time in Kenya and the ESA region.
- Desirable qualifications but not essential:
- Project management experience including developing work plans, ensuring quality and timeliness of technical deliverables, and managing budgets.
- Experience working with USAID or USAID-funded projects.
- Conversant with the use of communication and social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Zoom, Google Hangouts, and What’s App
- Salary and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. PRB has an excellent benefits package, including generous health, leave, and retirement programs.
How To Apply
- Applications: Please remember to attach a resume and cover letter in the documents section. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
- Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Disabled/Veteran
- Click Here to Apply
How to Apply for a Job by Email in 2020 and Get The Job Interview