Ongoing Recruitment UN Jobs 2023
Submit your CV now
NGO jobs, Management jobs, Business Development jobs,
Country Manager – Kenya
Reporting Line Manager: Global Programmes Director (UK Based)
Direct reports: Two staff within Kenya, with potential to for additional recruitment
Salary Range: KES 280,000 – 370,000 per month (dependent on skills and experience)
Contract: One-year fixed term (with the aim to expend dependent on funding)
PLEASE NOTE THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO KENYAN NATIONALS OR THOSE WHO HAVE THE RIGHT TO WORK WITHIN KENYA – RENEWABLE WORLD CANNOT OFFER SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS POSITION.
(NOTE: 3 Simple, Easy to do tips to make you NEGOTIATE a 6 Figure Salary like a PRO (backed by case studies and research). Get More Details Here.)
We are looking for a strong manager who has experience of leading projects/ programmes utilising renewable energy technologies for community empowerment and poverty alleviation. The ideal candidate will have experience supporting programmatic and partnerships development and delivery within an NGO or INGO. Or will be someone who has a strong background in project management in renewable energy technology and is looking to expand their experience and skills into programmes. Working in a small regional team the ideal candidate will have a hands-on attitude whilst RW Kenya look to launch and expand their programmes in Kenya.
• Work with the Global Programmes Director and Global team to support strong and robust programmatic design and delivery that is both sustainable and successful
• Advise on the type(s) of renewable energy technologies (either proven or pilot technologies) to be included within programme design
• Ensure that RW Kenya’s programmes are designed in partnership with local government, (I)NGOs and relevant stakeholders
• Ensure that all RW projects are designed through and adhere to RW’s Community Centred Model and that communities are engaged throughout the project and programme process to ensure sustainability and local ownership
• Support the UK Fundraising team by providing technical and programmatic content for funding bids and proposals
• Work closely with the Kenya team, UK team and new and existing partners to strengthen and build a robust partner network capable of improving the quality and quantity of RW projects and programmes
• Act as the key representative for RW in Kenya and develop a wide range of relationships with stakeholders with the aim to create an active and robust network within (I)NGOs, private sector companies, and local and national government bodies.
• Work collaboratively with the global finance functions and technical staff to ensure programmes are accurately and appropriately costed.
Project and Programme Delivery
• Ensure that the RW Kenya team have the right resources, tools, and support to deliver projects and programmes to a high standard, as and when funding is secured
• Oversee the programme portfolio and to ensure new programmes meet contractual obligations
• Ensure health and safety is embedded into all projects and programmes and that risk management strategies are in place to protect staff, communities, and partners
• Oversee all RW Kenya projects’ income and finances and deliver regular, transparent, and accurate reports to RW’s Finance team to ensure that finances are spent in alignment with donor and organisational budgets
• Lead the RW Kenya team to deliver all aspects of project delivery including baseline research and planning; activities; Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL); timely and accurate financial and narrative donor reporting; evaluation and auditing; and dissemination of lessons learned
• With support from the global MEAL team, provide clear requirements and guidance to the programme team on the measurement, analysis and reporting internally and externally of RW projects
• Provide guidance and support to the team to implement project activities, hold regular project team meetings to review progress, identify and resolve challenges and course-correct where necessary
• Ensure compliance and quality for all projects to ensure they are delivered on target, on time, on budget and that project tracking mechanisms are utilised to identify and mitigate risk
• Organise periodic project reviews and planning meetings with partner organisations in collaboration with the RW Kenya team
• Monitor progress against Detailed Implementation Plans and Guidance (DIP/DIG), overseeing the correlation between output delivery and project spend.
• Facilitate the increased visibility of RW and its work in Kenya with both national and County governments, NGOs, the private sector, and other development agencies in the country
• Support the RW Kenya and Global team to utilise networks to identify relevant partners
• Support the RW Fundraising team to generate income by providing insight into programme funding opportunities in Kenya
• Ensure that relationships with key project and programme stakeholders are managed effectively in line with RW’s partnership management policies and processes
• Work collaboratively with the technical team to strengthen/build capacity of partner organisations and communities to effectively manage and monitor Renewable Energy Technology systems
• Ensure that due diligence and capacity assessments are undertaken and up to date on all RW Kenya partners
• Support the regional and global technical team to manage technical suppliers, partners, policies, documentation, and assessment processes
• Support the technical team to negotiate and implement technical contracts
• Support the relevant teams to provide stakeholders and donors with timely and quality reports to enable a successful continuation of donor and partner relationships
• Ensure the Global Programmes Director is kept informed of key partnership and programme outcomes within Kenya.
Oversight and Management of RW Kenya Branch
• Develop annual business plans in collaboration with the Global Programmes Director and relevant regional team members that are in alignment with RW’s Global strategy and Global Programmes Operational Plan
• Ensure that local administrative, financial, HR, logistics and IT areas function in line with both RW’s global principles and with relevant local laws of Kenya
• Ensure transparent and accurate financial management of the Kenya Branch and work in collaboration with RW Financial team to ensure monthly reporting and financial management of all funding
• Ensure all programmes and operations adhere to Kenyan laws and statutory requirements
• Provide guidance and collaborative management to the Kenyan team ensuring they are supported in their day-to-day work and in their personal development resulting in the successful delivery of all RW Kenya activities, projects, and programmes
• Problem solve as situations arise, in consultation with the Global SMT
• When necessary, and in agreement with the business plan, recruit additional team members to support delivery of RW’s Kenya programmes.
• Oversee the project delivery team to ensure all RW’s projects are gender equal and socially inclusive
• Oversee the project delivery team to ensure all RW’s projects actively implement RW’s Accountability Mechanism
• Adhere to RW’s Code of Conduct, Enhanced Code of Conduct and follow RW’s Safeguarding Policy
• Represent RW’s values, vision, and mission in a professional, honest, transparent, and positive way to help build RW’s image and brand in Kenya as an organisation committed to poverty alleviation and collaboration
• Travel within Kenya and potential travel within Africa and to RW countries in Asia
• Act as a member of the Global Senior Management Team and report on Kenyan programmes and projects, ensuring clear and transparent ways of working and flagging issues for support as and when required
• Collaborate as part of the global RW, sharing learning to refine, develop and enhance approaches to delivering effective sustainable development initiatives through renewable energy
• Any other business seen as necessary by the Global Programmes Director.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of seven years of relevant work experience
- Degree in Global Development Studies/ Global Development/ Environmental Studies/Renewable Energy/ Civil
- Engineering or other relevant area of study
- Minimum of four years of technical experience working with Renewable Energy Technologies
- Minimum of four years’ experience in programme development
- Proven leadership skills and expertise in planning, implementing, and managing programmes
- Experience developing successful and sustainable renewable energy projects in Kenya
- Previous experience of managing a multidisciplinary team
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Previous experience of managing budgets, financial tracking, and monitoring
- Experience reporting to and representing an organisation to donors, partners, and relevant stakeholders
- Experience in contractual negotiations and agreements e.g., with EPC contractors
- Self-starter with the ability to work remotely, with limited supervision
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to multi-task
- Fluent in Written and Spoken English
Fluent in Swahili (ESSENTIAL) and other local languages (DESIRABLE)
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
Experience of developing and managing partnerships with INGOs, NGOs, government, and relevant stakeholders and proven experience of build relationships quickly
- Previous experience of due diligence and safeguarding
- Understanding of the Energy landscape and Regulations in Kenya and how this can impact projects and communities
- Masters in relevant area of study
- Experience in one of the following areas: Agriculture/ Business Development and Entrepreneurship/ Livelihoods, Health, Energy
- Experience in overseeing MEAL
To Apply for this role please send a copy of your CV (in English and no more than four sides of A4) alongside a cover letter (no more than two sides of A4) outlining why you feel you are right for this role by Monday 8th November, 5pm EAT.
To apply please send your CV and a brief covering letter to email@example.com.