Legal jobs,Communications jobs, Graphic Design jobs, Public Administration jobs, Finance jobs, Accounting jobs, Human Resource jobs,
Environmental Law Specialist
Duties And Responsibilities
- Under the general supervision of the Head, Montevideo Coordination and Delivery Unit, and the day-to-day supervision of a Legal Officer at the Montevideo Coordination and Delivery Unit, the consultant will:
- Develop an annotated outline of the Legislative Study on Mainstreaming Biodiversity in National Legislation on Natural Resources for Food and Agriculture and share the outline with Law Division and FAO LEGN for comments.
- Map out key issues relating to national legislation in the areas under UNEP and FAO mandates in which the CBD decisions on biodiversity mainstreaming are relevant (including mainstreaming in relation to the Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and the Fair and Equitable Sharing of Benefits Arising from their Utilization (Nagoya Protocol) and the Protocol on Biosafety (Cartagena Protocol;)
- Identify and expound on key issues and approaches in biodiversity mainstreaming for national legislators.
- Clarifying the opportunities of mainstreaming biodiversity (notably ecosystems approach) to take a more holistic approach in national legislation in natural resources focusing on the triple planetary crises of biodiversity loss, climate change and pollution, any relevant developments in the Kunming- Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework, and the relevant Sustainable Development Goals as well as integrating human rights concerns.
- Identifying a series of practical case studies from different areas of UNEP and FAO mandates as text boxes.
- An advanced university degree (master’s degree, or equivalent) in international environmental law, or related field is required.
- A first-level degree (bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in the specified fields of studies with two (2) additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressive working experience in the field of environmental law, or a related field such as on biodiversity law is required.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
- To support its work on resource mobilization from UNEP Member States and to implement the related communication & outreach action plan, UNEP is looking for a consultant with expertise in graphic design to provide high-quality, original graphic design illustrations, layout and web-based services. This consultancy position is home-based, administered by the Corporate Services Division, Public Sector Partnerships and Resource Mobilization Unit at the UNEP in Nairobi, Kenya.
The consultant would be working under the overall supervision of the Programme Officer/ Resource Mobilization and Outreach Specialist, P4. The requested services and products include:
- Regular updates of different language versions of booklet UNEP Your Partner for People and Planet as needed
- Updates and redesigns of existing factsheets
- Visualization of selected key messages in support of resource mobilization
- Power point presentations – for funding events and for training purposes
- Financial data illustrations and templates that can be used across different products
- Social media illustrations in support of resource mobilization and to communicate the narrative of ‘UNEP, your partner of choice’
- Create webpage elements both for internal and external web, such as web friendly infographics on funding status, rankings etc. and web banner illustrations
- Create a collection of design elements and illustrations in png-format that can be used for different purposes/products across the team
- Other graphic design work as requested and agreed to.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, visual communication, graphic design or related fields is required.
- Minimum of seven years of experience in typographic design, publishing, data visualization, branding, logo creation or related field is required.
- Experience in developing design proposals for clients, motion graphics, social media graphics, posters, factsheets and web graphics.
- Proven ability to layout and design long form reports in a user-friendly and visually appealing format.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this consultancy position fluency in English is required.
Assocaite Administrative Officer, P2
Human Resource Management
- Undertakes actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Provides information regarding conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Provides information on unit’s staffing needs for inclusion in department’s staffing table.
Budget and Finance
- Assists in developing the unit’s work program and budget; analyses input and formulates resource allocations by work program, or business processes.
- Monitors budget/work program with respect to Headquarters’ budget, trust funds and grants, on a regular basis, and reallocates resources as necessary.
- Supports the implementation of procedures and systems for implementing the appropriate financial database.
- Contributes to the development of budgetary guidelines for own unit.
- Contributes to the collection and analysis of data as well as identification of trends or patterns and provides draft insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting
- Supervises support staff as required.
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme, monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services, physical space planning and the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems).
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of theories, concepts and approaches related to planning, budgeting, and monitoring of programmes, and projects. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality (by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work).
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in public administration, Finance, accounting, Human resources or related area.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in administration, budget and financial management, or related area is required
- Experience in analyzing large amounts of information, including from open sources is required.
- Experience in planning, budgeting and monitoring of programmes or projects using results-based management or equivalent methodology is desirable.
- Experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, Business Intelligence (BI) and with Microsoft Power Bi, Excel as well as other MS Office applications is desirable.
- A minimum of six months of experience in the UN or in a similar organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.