Become a Certified Project Management Specialist
Associate Director, Safety & Security
Duties & Responsibilities:
Organizational policies and procedures for security management
- Serves as the primary focal point for safety and security for both HQ and Country Office (CO) operations.
- Provides technical support to the field in the following areas:
- Security/risk assessments
- Scenario planning, security plan development
- Crisis/contingency planning; and
- Other security-related functions
- Develops and updates, as needed, the WFWI global security policy and crisis management plans and policies and procedures in accordance with best practices and ensures their implementation.
- Oversees and ensures compliance for all security-based contracts in HQ and regional offices and provides training and templates for country offices to do the same.
- Develops and manages country office (CO) safety & security management plans (SSMPs)
- Supports CO to adapt the CO SSMP template to its own context and publish, practice, and maintain such plans.
- Provides advice and counsel to management on matters relating to employee and property safety and security. Investigates all safety, security and risk management related issues.
- Works with business development and programs teams on ensuring safety and security language and costs are incorporated into proposals.
Trends and scenario analysis
- Conducts regular trends and situational analysis of each country WFWI operates and closely monitors these trends and their potential impact on WFWI operations
- Establishes and maintains strong networks globally and in WFWI countries of operation with relevant UN agencies, Government, NGOs, and security coordination bodies (INSO, EISF, UNDSS SLT, InterAction).
- Keeps up-to-date with best practices in safety and security and, when/where relevant and ensures roll-out of such practices to COs.
Safety and security procedures
- Ensures all WFWI offices, residences, preferred hotels, and guest houses meet specified Minimum Operating Safety & Security Standards
- Monitor movement and safety of employees, guests, and consultants traveling away from their host countries and into foreign territories
- In coordination with CO safety & security focal points, ensures all COs respect norms on vehicle safety, including procedures, equipment, and maintenance and lifespan.
- Ensures COs have appropriate communication equipment, that it is licensed, staff are trained, and it is used correctly.
- Ensures all HQ and CO staff, partners, and consultants are aware of and follow emergency communication procedures.
- In coordination with CO safety & security focal points, ensures that security briefings are provided to all new staff as well as staff travelling
- Advises COs on proper tendering and recruitment of security guarding companies
- Oversee and manage relationship with Travel Service Provider.
(NOTE:Are you feeling stuck in your career? Get FREE career and professional consultation, coaching and mentoring.Join us for the FREE Professional Development Training.We have limited space. Book your spot here.)
- In coordination with Chief Administrative Officer, serves as the lead on organizational crisis management preparation and response including evacuations
- Acts as the first point of contact for any safety or security incident. Provides HQ & COs with regular support and guidance to ensure appropriate response to incidents.
- Provides regular feedback to the Leadership Team on any serious incidents.
- Liaises and coordinates with other organizations and partners impacted by incidents.
Capacity development of WFWI staff
- Provides guidance and training to CO, regional, and HQ staff on security management, risk mitigation, and incident response.
- Provides guidance and training to global staff on personal security, security management, trends analysis, and SOPs.
New location assessment
- Through coordination with other NGOs, local actors and security organizations, develop an assessment of the risks and mitigating factors in areas which WFWI is considering as a program location
- Develop go/no go criteria to guide decision making
- Develop procedures/security plans when a decision has been made to enter a new location
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably a Master’s degree, in relevant field.
- A formal security qualification or appropriate security management training
- Minimum of seven (7) years practical field experience in security management with at least three (3) years in a leadership role (e.g. military, police, or INGO security management).
- Overseas work experience in insecure and/or hostile environments required
- Previous field experience in security management with INGOs operating in Nigeria, DRC, South Sudan, Rwanda, Afghanistan and Iraq preferred
- Ability to work within a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic team and understand the challenges of operating in insecure environments
- Experience of threat and risk assessment, incident reporting, incident mapping, information collation and analysis
- Ability to adapt to needs and balance demands of beneficiary and security actors while maintaining appropriate contextual NGO security advice and coordination
- Sound knowledge of humanitarian principles of impartiality and neutrality as outlined in the Humanitarian Charter and the International Red Cross Code of Conduct
- Ability to train and coach national and international staff in safety and security measures
- Technical competency and training experience in field-based communications systems such as HF & VHF radios, satellite phone systems, GPS mapping and tracking devices
- Strong computer skills in MS Office, internet, and email applications
- Strong report writing, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Fluent in written and spoken English; language skills in, Arabic, French, Dari and/or Kiswahili a plus
- Previous working experience with women’s empowerment organizations, networks and skills and knowledge in gender and conflict analysis preferred
- Ability to travel extensively to country offices
(NOTE: Would you like to know the BIGGEST CV mistake you can make? Find out plus the Top 8 Ways To Make Your CV Stand Out.)
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so please apply at your earliest convenience through this portal.