Data Science, Research, Education, Teaching, International Organizations Jobs,
LEGO Kenya – Technical Director
- Provide technical leadership and assistance on the overall approach with a real focus on teacher professional development; as well as approaches for testing and scaling up teacher professional development approaches to improve learning outcomes
- Leads efforts to identify and incorporate best practices and innovations into programming and ensure that the best practices and innovations are documented and disseminated
- Coordination of technical approaches, content development, and influence across field sites; ensuring lessons learned, practices and evidence are shared across camps, settlements, and local communities
- Support program staff to use project data to track progress and engage in meaningful course correction discussions at regular and frequent intervals; as well as ensure data is tailored to facilitate similar discussions at the global and senior management level
- Leads the development and oversees the implementation of technical quality assurance strategies and activities, including technical guidelines, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and supportive supervision
- Provide ongoing capacity building, training and technical assistance as needed of program staff, government counterparts, humanitarian coordination decision makers and partners to ensure high quality programs with a focus on uptake and use of effective teacher professional development approaches
- Oversee a team of education technical experts
- Represent the project’s evidence, lessons learned, and achievements in external meetings, panels and conferences; as well as participate in technical working groups as relevant.
- Give input to relevant communication materials such as fact sheets, briefs, papers, and presentations that can be disseminated and used for influence at the national and global level
- Conduct regular visits to project sites, as possible, to provide technical assistance and ensure proper implementation and monitoring of project activities as well as facilitate work planning and regular technical meetings for all project partners
- Produce inputs to monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports for the Project Director and donors, as needed
- Advanced degree (PhD or MA) in education, or closely related field
- At least six years’ experience in education programming with a PhD or at least 10 years’ experience in education programming with a MA
- At least four years of experience with work specifically in crisis or conflict-affected contexts is required, preferably in East Africa
- Significant prior experience with material development, active learning methodologies, and capacity building/training
- Experience in social emotional learning interventions, monitoring and evaluation, and research in relation to Education is highly desired. Experience in strategy development and working across sectors or disciplines is highly desired
- Strong negotiation skills and the ability to develop relations with local counterparts, donors, and other stakeholders;
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Fluency in English required
- Ability to travel at least 30% of the time
Senior Policy and Capacity Building Advisor, Kenya Education READ TO
Responsibilities of the Senior Policy and Capacity Building Advisor include, but are not limited to:
- Leads and coordinates the implementation of the project activities and provide technical expertise related to education policy, system strengthening and capacity building of the MOE and other relevant institutions/entities (SAGAs) to implement improved reading instruction in Kenya, sustainably.
- Builds and maintains relationships with key sector partners, donors, consultants, host country counterparts and stakeholders.
- Collaborates with colleagues across RTI on technical, administrative, and strategic planning initiatives.
- Ensures best practices and lessons learned are captured and disseminated across project.
- Responsible for coordinating with the project’s Regional Coordinators to work with the county and sub-county MOE and other relevant GOK/SAGAs officials to advance project goals
- Work closely with MERLA Lead on developing system capacity to collect and use data for planning and decision-making and to design indicators for measurement of gains in system capacity.
- May serve as a representative of the project to clients, stakeholders, and partners, providing key inputs for technical or management decisions.
- Responsible for managing program deliverables including planning and coordination of systems strengthening activities.
- Provides leadership, management, and technical assistance for capacity development of non-governmental and governmental organizations focused on education improvement.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in education, public policy, or related field and 12 years of relevant experience or Master’s degree in education, public policy, or related field and 10 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the education sector, including strategic planning, implementation planning and monitoring and evaluation of relevant activities. Experience in Kenya preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to build and sustain professional working relationships with high-level government and donor counterparts in complex environments.
- Expertise in advising high-level government officials, donor partners, and other technical experts and in education policy and systems.
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding coordination, facilitation and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in high level policy dialogue and diplomacy.
- Fluent English language skills required; working knowledge of Kiswahili preferred
Technical Director, Kenya Education READ TO
Responsibilities of Technical Director include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for supporting the CoP in developing a technical vision and strategy for the project shared with project team and key stakeholders.
- Manage technical personnel and oversee all technical activities on the project to increase the capacity of the MOE and other relevant institutions/entities (SAGAs) to implement improved reading instruction in Kenya, sustainably.
- Ensure that all technical activities conform to the terms and conditions of project requirements, including cost, schedule, and quality parameters.
- Ensure integration of project technical activities by leading the technical aspect of the annual work planning process, implementing the annual workplan, ensuring close integration of technical activities with monitoring, evaluation, and learning efforts, and cost-effective operational management.
- Provide technical leadership across reading and remedial programming, capacity building, systems strengthening, and school-based support to teachers.
- Ensure program strategies and activities represent global good practice in education.
- Ensure that key cross-cutting elements, such as equity and inclusion are in place and mainstreamed effectively in all program activities. This includes supporting private sector and civil society engagement.
- Support the preparation and delivering high quality reports to USAID, including quarterly and annual reports, annual work plans, technical and financial reports.
- Ensure all contractual deliverables and reporting requirements are met and in compliance with contractual requirements and U.S. federal regulations.
- Foster and maintain effective, professional relations with government counterparts, local organizations, donors and other stakeholders for successful implementation.
- Collaborate and share knowledge with other development partners and their initiatives.
- Liaise with USAID and RTI home office on technical issues and reporting on technical programming.
- Develop and implement practices to ensure a high level of staff morale and retention.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 15 years of experience, Master’s degree and 12 years of experience, PhD and 8 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience and expertise working projects to strengthen education systems and improve education outcomes with a strong focus on reading and remediation programs.
- Demonstrated experience working closely with GOK counterparts and stakeholders, including supporting capacity building.
- Demonstrated skills in building, mobilizing, and leading multidisciplinary teams.
- Proven ability to work under pressure, and with multiple concurrent demands.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with international development contracting policies and procedures, specifically USAID.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to resolve sensitive and complicated work issues with senior high-level country counterparts, donor representatives, and senior-level staff.
- Experience working in the East Africa region, preferably within Kenya.
- Kenyan citizens/nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.