- Provide quality, efficient and integral pharmacy services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Strict maintenance and documentation of the dangerous drugs act.
- Receive prescriptions for medications from medical doctors and other health professionals, and dispense the drugs to patients
- Preparing or supervising the preparation and labeling of liquid medicines, ointments, powders, tablets, and other medications to fill prescriptions
- Monitor storage conditions i.e., expiry status and security of the pharmaceuticals
- Conferring with the doctor or his assistants regarding the ordering, stocking, and pricing of the drugs.
- Keep records / take inventory of all drug stocks ordered, drugs issued to clients and stocks remaining.
- Ensure order and cleanliness at the pharmacy
- Evaluating labels, packaging, and advertising of drug products
- Establish and maintain good relationships with customers which includes clinics, doctors, and other institutions
- Perform other duties as assigned and as the profession demands.
Qualification and Key Competencies
- Diploma in Pharmaceutical Technology from a recognized medical training institution
- Be registered by the Pharmacy and Poisons Board of Kenya.
- Valid practicing license
- Proficiency in computer application skills
- Minimum two (2) years of working experience preferably in a busy hospital set up
- Certificate of Good Conduct
- To ensure high-quality clinical care to all patients through provision of effective nursing services as a Registered Nursing Officer. Successful candidates will work in Maternity.
- Maternity Nurse In Charge
Skills and Competencies Required
- Excellent clinical acumen.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Effective communication skills – listening, oral and written.
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Empathetic to patients of all ages.
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision.
- Problem-solving, conflict resolution and crisis management skills.
- Analytical and decision-making skills.
- Report writing and presentation skills.
- Desire for personal development, improvement, and learning.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain the highest possible standard of client care by adhering to the hospital standard treatment protocols and guidelines.
- Identify obstetric complications and institute appropriate and timely interventions.
- Effective monitoring and evaluation of patients admitted in the maternity ward.
- Administer medication and perform medical procedures within prevailing Hospital guidelines and protocols.
- Ensure an outstanding client experience.
- Counsel and prepare mothers for labour, childbirth and postpartum.
- Monitor and manage pregnant mothers during labour and childbirth and ensure timely intervention in case of emergency.
- Perform deliveries.
- Provide care for mothers and new-born after birth.
- Ensure proper documentation in pantograph.
- Educate and support mothers in breastfeeding and care of the new-born.
- Follow through investigations and procedures ordered by Doctors during ward rounds.
- Run MCH, Family planning and other clinics as assigned by Head of Clinical Services.
- Provide comprehensive client counselling e.g., reproductive health, HIV, vaccination, Pap smear & • cancer screening amongst other services.
- Ensure maintenance and availability of medical equipment in the doctors’ and nursing room.
- Professionally and timely prepare and present regular nursing reports.
- Assist in the formulation, review and implementation of relevant policies and procedures e.g. infection prevention etc.
- Adequately prepare and participate in health talks, presentations, and Continuous Medical
- Education (CME) events.
- Participate in clinical audits.
- Ensuring cost effective use of maternity supplies.
- Patient safety, quality control, infection control and equipment care and planned preventive maintenance
- Compliance with the stipulated regulations including Policies and Procedures adopted by the hospital
- Communication and enforcement of policy or procedure gaps
- Continuous training and learning on procedures and equipment
- Adherence to the rules and regulations contained in the HR Policy & Procedure Manual (Employee Handbook)
- Protect the Hospital’s reputation by not engaging in conduct which could bring it into disrepute
- Adherence to privacy and confidentiality rules and regulations
Levels of Authority Financial Measures and Impact:
- Operational efficiency which leads to retained client base and sustained growth
- Unit Measures and Impact: Operational efficiency
- Resources: resource management and wastage reduction
Performance Management & Employee Engagement Measures
- Turn-around time (TAT)
- Operational costs- reducing wastage
- Quality and safety standards compliance audit
- Attendance/participation and absenteeism
- Appraisal by objective
- Bi-annual performance review by direct supervisor
- Employee satisfaction survey
- Work is carried out in 6-12 hour shifts
- Responsibility may call for extra hours
- May be required to work on Public Holidays and Weekends depending on work schedules
- May be exposed to biohazards during regular hospital duties
- There will be occasional travel to different organizations and communities during scheduled marketing activities e.g. health talks, community outreach and wellness programs
- Environment may be physically and emotionally demanding, working under stressful conditions
- Entitled to 21 working days leave after each complete year of service
- Attend a minimum of 40 hours of short-term training per year
- Work as part of a team
- Collaborate with other staff to ensure best patient management
- Diploma in Nursing from a recognized institution i.e. KRCHN, KRN/KRM.
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution will be an added advantage
- Must be registered by the Nursing Council of Kenya.
- Valid Nursing Practice License.
- Valid competency in BLS, ACLS, ETAT+ and EmOC will be an added advantage.
- Certificate of Good Conduct
Scientific Competencies Required
- Basic equipment maintenance
- Proficiency in computer software packages i.e. MS Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
Relevant Work Experience
- At least five (5) years relevant work experience in a busy maternity ward.