Get a 6 Figure Salary Even Without a Degree
Working with NGOs, the UN & International Organisation
Find details here
Software Development Jobs, Mentor Opening,
Software Development Technical Mentor
Software Development Technical Mentor: Job Description
Type of Contract: Full Time
Department: Classroom Team
(NOTE: Get a 6 Figure Salary Even Without a Degree or Masters working with NGOs and the UN. Get More Details Here.)
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
About Moringa School
Moringa School is transforming higher education in Africa, through our premier advanced immersive program, training exceptional Software Engineers and Data Scientists, transforming them from ambitious amateurs to coding professionals. We are currently expanding rapidly into other courses and geographies across Africa and are looking for top talent to accelerate our growth. Moringa School was named one of the ‘Top 10 Most Innovative Companies’ in 2018 by Fast Company.
We aim to train 200,000+ knowledge workers through market-driven education in emerging markets by 2030.
Our Mission and Product Vision
Our vision: A world in which anyone can create their future
It is the goal out in front of us that keeps us striving for more and we are doing this through:
- Creating products that connect people from where they are now to where they would like to go for their future.
- Focussing on broadening the pool of people who can create their future by scaling into new geographies.
- Offering Market-aligned skills education to create futures.
Our mission is to build talent and opportunities through transformative, tech-based learning experiences and we do this by:
- Taking a student-centric approach where students define what opportunities they are looking for and Moringa works to meet their expectations.
- Not teaching for the sake of getting students in the door, but to truly transform their sense of self-confidence and belief through soft and technical skilling.
- Employees enjoy a fun, collegial startup environment
- You will be surrounded by talented, friendly, brilliant, & mission-driven professionals who work hard to provide the best student experience of its kind in the world.
- We are committed to employee health & wellness- we truly believe that you need to take care of yourself first.
- We understand the value in remote working & support it as needed.
Why We Are Hiring for This Role
Moringa School is in an exciting transition from a primarily Nairobi-based school to an international education organization via rapid growth across Africa and expansion into new course offerings. We are a premier advanced immersive program, training exceptional full-stack and mobile Software Engineers. Students train 10+ hours a day, 5 days a week, through 20 weeks in a curriculum focused on computer science fundamentals, frontend skills, and Python/Django or Java/Android. We are looking for a talented, organized, systems-oriented thinker to provide management, leadership, and accountability to a high performance team in support of the mission and core values of the company. The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience building software systems, and working well in diverse teams, even in a chaotic environment. The Technical Mentor role provides the mentorship and supervision necessary to ensure that their students have a 5-star experience and achieve strong outcomes.
What You Have
- 2+ years experience working, at least 1+ years experience professional coding in languages used in the classroom
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Lots of patience and empathy, ability to work well with and accommodate the needs of other people
- Strong problem solving abilities to handle complex situations involving many people
- Ability to work with and mentor large, diverse groups of people
- Positive, empathetic, team-player with a systems-mindset
- Ability to multitask and strategically solve diverse problems
- Coding school alumni (preferred)
- Experience teaching, working in education, or program management (preferred)
What You Will Do
- Lead and coordinate all classroom activities for your class
- Responsibility for class and student success and happiness.
- Weekly 1.1’s with students, including personal check-in and independent project review
- Disciplinary follow-up for all incomplete independent projects
- Disciplinary follow-up for all academic and interpersonal issues
- Fill out and maintain student tracking, come up with plans for success of all students
- Raise red flags early when students are not on track!
- Kick off and run all daily activities, such as: daily standup, peer review hour, etc
- Master TM responsibilities and processes to ensure quality is maintained
- Once TM mastery is achieved, iterate on processes such as classroom structure, curriculum, etc by providing good feedback and insights, doing (very calculated) experiments, and updating documentation
- Personal professional growth: Moringa is part of your professional journey. It is up to you to decide how you want to grow through that journey, and to continuously improve in doing your work using the tools at your disposal