Workplace of the Future
Post Covid 19 Are You Ready?
Free Live Workshop Register here
Newest 2020 Jobs, Nairobi, Kenya Jobs
Associate Scientist – Gender and Agriculture Researcher
- The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
- Maize is a staple food for 900 million people living on less than US$2 a day. Maize is the most important food crop in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), where it occupies approximately 24% of the region’s farmland, more than any other staple crop. For maize improvement to contribute to SDG 5 on gender equality and women’s empowerment, it is essential that product profiles and new improved maize varieties for Africa’s smallholder farmers address the needs and preferences of both women and men. At the same time, the national maize seed sector and related value chains, must serve smallholder farmers – and especially women farmers – efficiently with information about and high-quality seed of modern stress-tolerant varieties.
- To expand the evidence base for addressing these challenges and strengthen the integration of gender and social inclusion in our agricultural research-for-development (R4D) portfolio for sub-Saharan Africa, the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is seeking a dynamic, pro-active, resourceful and results-oriented Associate Scientist – Gender and Agriculture Researcher to join its Socio-Economics Program in the region.
- The selected candidate will form part of CIMMYT’s Gender and Social Inclusion research team and will work in close collaboration with CIMMYT’s other programs, and local and international partners. In alignment with CIMMYT’s strategy for gender and social inclusion in maize R4D, the selected candidate will work with colleagues and partners to expand the current evidence base on gender and social inclusion, particularly in gender-intentional seed delivery and agricultural livelihood improvements in sub-Saharan Africa, develop relevant policy recommendations and promote gender-transformative R4D practice.
- The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will involve travel, including to other CIMMYT offices and field operations.
- Design and conduct research to identify and understand barriers to women’s adoption of stress-tolerant maize varieties.
- Based on research findings, develop and test innovative strategies and modalities for improving women farmers’ access to and use of stress-tolerant maize varieties.
- Work with maize breeders and other colleagues to integrate gender into product profiles and regional on-farm trials, including the related collection and analysis of sex-disaggregated data regarding farmers’ varietal and trait preferences.
- Collaborate with value chain researchers to develop and test innovative gender-intentional seed delivery tools in specific market segments.
- Research and promote avenues for integrating effective gender-intentional and gender transformative approaches in R4D, including institutional learning and change through networking and capacity strengthening.
- Publish research findings in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Contribute to mobilization of resources to strengthen gender and social inclusion in R4D.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in social sciences, e.g. sociology, anthropology, feminist economics or related fields from a recognized university and with a strong focus on gender and/or social inclusion-exclusion.
- Strong theoretical and methodological background in research related to gender and social inclusion.
- Minimum 3 years post-PhD relevant experience working with gender/social inclusion-and-agriculture issues in developing countries (experience in sub-Saharan Africa an advantage).
- Strong quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills, with keen interest in and experience with mixed methods (qualitative and quantitative).
- Proven leadership-, interpersonal-, and cross-cultural skills, including ability to work with and motivate multi-disciplinary teams and to develop strong and effective working relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, including strategic thinking and ability to present coherent and convincing analyses to different audiences.
- A high degree of personal organization, the ability to work under pressure, and willingness to travel.
- Established publication record in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Experience with project management, including planning, physical and financial implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation, and reporting, is an advantage.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Problem Solving and Decision Making, Communication, Teamwork and Critical Thinking.
(NOTE:Average minimum salary 200K working as a Project Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Consultant, Financial Advisor, Technical adviso. Massive 2020 recruitment conducted by Government, Counties, NGOs, UN, UNDP, World Bank, international development community, UNESCO, WHO, USAID.Get the details here)
About The Position
- The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
- Candidates must apply here for IRS20117_Associate Scientist – Gender and Agriculture Researcher. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday June 5th 2020. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- This position will remain open until filled.
- CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
- Apply Here
How to Apply for a Job by Email in 2020 and Get The Job Interview