How To Get a 6 Figure Salary
Even Without a Degree or Masters
Free Live Event Register here
Pwani University, a Premier University at the Coast situated in the beautiful scenic tourist resort town of Kilifi is an equal opportunity employer. The University’s Mission is to generate, disseminate and apply knowledge while sustaining excellence in teaching, learning and research by molding students to international standards and encouraging and supporting members of staff to undertake research.The University has a vacancy for the position of Senior Systems Library Assistant Grade C.
SENIOR SYSTEMS LIBRARY ASSISTANT GRADE C 1 POSITION: REF: PU/ADV/07/08/2019
Appointment to this position is either on permanent and pensionable terms or on a two (2) year renewable performance based contract, depending on age, citizenship or any other reason.
Applicants must have Bachelor’s Degree or Higher National Diploma in Library and Information Science/Studies or equivalent qualifications from a recognized Institution.
In addition, the candidate should have the following:
- Advanced knowledge of ICT
- Linux system administration skills including basic permission schemes
- OpenSSH configuration and usage and system backups
- Be able to install, configure, update and customize library management software
- Advanced hands own application knowledge of D-Space, KOHA and HTML
- Basic knowledge of Perl, Python, PHP and Java
- Be an active member of a Professional body
Candidates with the following will have an added advantage
- Ability to configure and use EZ –proxy or RemoteX
- Ability to use anti plagiarism software e.g. TurnItIn, PlagScan, Grammarly
- Basic software configuration skills and knowledge of XML and SQL
- Basic ability to create and use basic relation models in MySQL/PostgreSQL
- Basic understanding of MARC format and how it relate to cataloging standards, especially
- MARC21 and RDF
- Applicants must have at least three (3) years post qualification working experience as a System Library Assistant Grade A or equivalent position with proven integrity, honesty, independence, innovation and compliance to deadlines.
Skills and knowledge
- Interested applicants should
- Have good communication and teamwork skills
- Supervision skills
- Coordination and organization skills
- Relevant Computer Skills
- Problem solving skills
In addition the applicants should show
- Active involvement in International/Continental/Regional /National/ Local/Community activities
Duties and responsibilities
- Assist in the download, coding and documentation of E-resources
- Catalogue, Classify and Index library materials
- Contribute to the development and the maintenance of an authority file so that all cataloguing decisions are recorded and adhered to.
- Contribute to the implementation of university library initiatives and strategies related to the development of user information literacy skills.
- Contribute to the maintenance of the current library catalogue, the cataloguing of new materials and special collections not yet on the catalogue.
- Ensure the smooth and efficient running and use of Online Public Access Catalogue
- Identify and research new resources for the library, to include book stock, periodicals, electronic resources.
- Maintain and assist in seamless access to Library E-Z Proxy resources by external users
- Maintain and Update Library Institutional Repository based on D-Space
- Maintain and Update Library Examination Bank
- Maintain and update Library Website
- Oversee students and staff studying in the Library and using university equipment and books on a daily basis.
- Supervise students using the networked virtual library systems and equipment.
- Troubleshoot virtual library workstation related challenges
- Provide guidance and support to library users or identified student groups with regards to enquiries related to information use skills to include research skills.
- Register new users, inducting and assisting students and staff using the library user number and referring problems to the ICT staff as necessary.
- Retrieval and compilation of bibliographical information in both print and electronic formats and liaising with other libraries on interlibrary loans.
- Undertake research on specific topics as requested by the Librarian and other staff, students and providing relevant information.
- Any other responsibilities of a similar nature as required by the Librarian
Terms Of Service
Benefits for the above position include a competitive basic salary, house allowance, medical cover for staff and dependants, life Insurance, opportunities for further development and training and other regular allowances.
Interested applicants should send four (4) copies of their application for the position. Applications and recommendations letters from referees should be addressed to
(NOTE:Average minimum salary 200K working as a Project Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Consultant, Financial Advisor, Technical adviso. Massive 2019 recruitment conducted by Government, Counties, NGOs, UN, UNDP, World Bank, international development community, UNESCO, WHO, USAID.Get the details here)
The Vice Chancellor
P. O Box 195-80108, Kilifi
Applications should include an up to date CV, giving details of applicants age, marital status, academic and professional qualifications, work experience, present post and salary, email address, telephone, names and contacts of three referees who are knowledgeable about the competence of the applicant, copies of relevant certificates and testimonials.
Pwani University is an equal opportunity employer, female candidates and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Persons living with Disabilities should attach a copy of their National Council for Persons with Disabilities (NCPWD) registration Card.
Applicants with foreign qualifications must submit a Certificate of Recognition from the Commission for University Education.
The deadline for submitting applications is Thursday 5th September, 2019. Applications received later than this date will not be considered.
Please Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Pwani University Does Not Charge A Fee At Any Stage Of The
Recruitment Process (Application, Interview Meeting, Or Appointment)