- Job Opening ID: 225938
- Job Network : Logistics, Transportation and Supply Chain
- Job Family : Procurement
- Category and Level : General Service and Related Categories, G-6
- Duty Station : NAIROBI
- Department/Office : United Nations Environment Programme
- Date Posted : Feb 8, 2024
- Deadline : Mar 8, 2024
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Corporate Services Division is the guardian of UNEP’s corporate interest, mitigating its exposure to risk and supporting the organization with management tools, plans and related capacity building.
It oversees UNEP’s efficient and effective management, in line with UNEP’s accountability requirements, rules, regulations and UN core values. This post is located at the Corporate Services Division in the Programme Advisory Services Unit at the Nairobi duty station. Programme Advisory Services Unit provides seamless integration in operational areas which support and enhance programme delivery on behalf of Corporate Services Division (CSD).
Under the supervision of the Head of Programme Advisory Section, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Reviews, records and prioritizes purchasing requests and obtains additional information/documentation as required; provides assistance to requisitioners in preparing scope of work and specifications of goods and services; proposes product substitutions consistent with requirements to achieve cost savings; determines the availability of funding sources.
- Identifies and recommends sources of procurement; interview potential suppliers.
- Produces tender documents (e.g. Invitations to Bids, Requests for Proposals and Requests for Quotation) based on the nature of the requirements and cost of procurement involved.
- Prepares abstracts of offers and compile data contained in quotations, proposals and bids to determine which supplier can deliver the required goods/services at the best terms and lowest costs possible with due consideration to quality, delivery time, prompt payment and other discounts, transportation costs, etc.
- Enters into negotiation of terms and conditions of orders under the guidance of Administration/Supply Chain Officers; obtains credit and other information on proposed suppliers.
- Finalizes purchase orders and contracts for approval by the Administration/Supply Chain Officer; may authorize purchases in line with delegated signature authority, and, if required, prepares submission to the Contracts Committee for review and subsequent approval by the authorized official.
- Resolves issues/problems related to delivered goods, including discrepancies between purchase orders and items/quantities shipped or received; prepares and signs Return to Vendor forms for unacceptable and/or damaged goods received.
- Maintains relevant internal databases and files; administers and keeps track of any contractual agreements, direct provisioning contracts, etc. and informs affected users of contractual rights and obligations.
- Researches, retrieves and presents information from a variety of internal and external sources on sources of supply, vendors by commodity, etc., as well as obtain specifications for new products and equipment on the market.
- Drafts a variety of correspondence.
- Supervises and assigns and reviews the work of more junior staff.
- Reviews clients’ demand plans, ensuring that sufficient time is available to undertake respective procurement exercises.
- Assists and advises on submissions to the SCMT in the case that external service provider is to be considered for engagement (e.g. UNDP).
- Reviews and advises on waiver submissions. Assists in conducting market research, as requested.
- Files and archives documentation and reports; maintain files and archives relative to supply chain servcies.
- Designs and develops spreadsheet reports and databases using various software platforms in accordance with instructions received from supervisor .
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of procurement policies, processes and procedures and of purchasing and accounting techniques. Knowledge of financial rules and regulations and ability to research and gather information from a variety of standard sources and to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. The ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
- Supplementary training in supply chain management, especially procurement, administration, human resources, finance/accounting, or related area is desirable.
- Studying for or having a certification level 4 in CIPS or similar certification is desirable
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, administration or related areas is required with focus on conducting competitive procurement activities and contract administration. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced by two (2) for candidates who possess a first-level university degree or higher.
- Experience working with an ERP system in the area of purchasing and/or supply chain is required.
- Three (3) years of experience in the UN common system or in an international public organization is desirable.
- One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
- NOTE: ”Fluency” equals a rating of ”fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ”Knowledge of” equals a rating of ”confident” in two of the four areas.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position will include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot