- Description of assignment title: Programme Assistant
- Assignment country: Kenya
- Expected start date: 01/02/2024
- Sustainable Development Goal: 13. Climate action
- Volunteer category: National UN Volunteer Specialist
- Host entity: UNEP
- Type: Onsite
- Duration: 12 months (with possibility of extension)
- Duty stations: Nairobi
- Closing Date: 04/12/2023
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Mission and objectives
Since its inception in 1972, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has been the global authority that sets the environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, UNEP works through its divisions as well as regional, liaison and out-posted offices and a growing network of collaborating centres of excellence.
UNEP OzonAction Compliance Assistance Programme (CAP) ROA- Anglophone Network provides support to 28 Article 5 countries and has a large portfolio of the approved Multilateral Fund Projects in most countries, which is being handled by the CAP ROA team. During the past years, compliance has continued to be the main theme for the Anglophone CAP team. As of 2022, the HCFC phase-out in the Anglophone Network has been on track and under the required compliance levels by all countries in the region. Accurate and timely data reporting to both the Multilateral Fund and Ozone Secretariat has been positive and all countries comply with data reporting. The Anglophone Network has some of the earliest parties to ratify the Kigali Amendment on the phase-down of HFCs. As of February 2023, twenty-three (23) out of 28 Anglophone Network countries have ratified the Kigali Amendment. The remaining countries are at an advanced stage to ratify the Kigali Amendment.
Under the direct supervision of the OzonAction Regional Network Coordinator Compliance Assistance Programme-Anglophone Network, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Support RNCs and other regional CAP staff in the implementation of national and regional projects related to Montreal Protocol activities.
- Prepare Small-Scale Funding Agreements (SSFAs) on specific OzonAction-related activities in close consultation with the Activity Leaders,
- Review financial and progress reports from countries and project financial commitments to ensure they are equal to the approved project budgets;
- Review country reports required within the specified project reporting period.
- Assist in implementing a sustainable system of activities status tracking and reporting in IPMR.
- Provide administrative and substantive support to Network or other meetings, conferences, workshops by proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposing participants, assisting in the preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars, etc.; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Coordinate secretarial and logistical services for meetings in cooperation with local or-ganizers and assist network coordinator in preparing and finalizing meeting reports
- Assist in the preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisors. Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to: d6LHYhR B2wJsS
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take an active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publica-tions/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible. Results/Expected Outputs Contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Compliance Assistance Programme by providing administrative support and specialized assistance to the Regional Network Coordinator in the assigned areas of responsibility.
- Age: 27 – 80
- Nationality: Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
3 years of experience in Business Administration, project management, Finance, or other relevant field.
- Strong command of standard computer applications (i.e Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and others)
- Analytical and good communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to contribute and work as part of a team.
- Taking initiative and result-driven.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to learn autonomously.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Area(s) of expertise: Business management, Development programmes, Economics and finance
Languages: English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in Business Administration, project management or Finance or other relevant field.
Competencies and values
Client Orientation Commitment and Motivation Commitment to Continuous Learning Creativity Integrity Planning and Organizing Professionalism Respect for Diversity
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot