Ongoing Recruitment UN Jobs 2023
Submit your CV now
|Posting Title:||PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT, G5|
|Job Code Title:||Programme Management Assistant|
|Department/Office:||United Nations Environment Programme|
|Posting Period:||22 May 2023 – 20 June 2023|
|Job Opening Number:||23-Programme Management-UNEP-208010-R-Nairobi (X)|
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The overall objective of the UNEP’s Industry and Economy Division is to encourage decision-makers in government, local authorities and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies and practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive. It promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities.
This post is in located in UNEP’s Industry and Economy Division, Energy and Climate Branch, Global Environment Facility (GEF) Climate Change Mitigation Unit at the Nairobi duty station. Under the overall supervision of the Administrative Officer, Climate Change Mitigation Unit, the Programme Assistant will perform the following duties:
• Assists in the coordination of programme / project planning and preparation work for, typically, a medium-size and complex component of the departmental programme / project initiatives; including supporting the programme team in the UMOJA Integrated Planning, Monitoring and Reporting(IPMR) project management module.; monitors status of programme/project proposals and receipt of relevant documentation for review and approval.
• Compiles, summarizes, and presents basic information/data on specific programmes / project and related topics or issues.
• Reviews project documents, especially cost plans / budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identifies inconsistencies; distributes project documents to relevant parties upon approval.
• Reviews budget revisions; verifies availability of funds; ensures necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system.
• Serves as focal point for administrative coordination of programme / project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organizational units to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
• Compiles, summarizes and enters data on project delivery; drafts related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and brings to the attention of management.
• Drafts correspondence on budget-related issues and prepares and updates periodic reports, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets, etc.
• Coordinates project related processes for mid-term and terminal reviews.
• Provides general office assistance; responds to complex information requests and inquiries; reviews, logs and routes incoming correspondence; sets up and maintains files / records; organizes meetings, workshops; handles routine administrative tasks, such as requisitioning, maintaining attendance records, assessing telephone billing, etc.
• Initiates, processes, monitors, reviews and follows-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities for staff, consultants and UN Volunteers.
• Provides advice and guidance to staff with respect to administrative procedures, processes and practices, liaising with central administrative services as necessary.
• Compiles portfolio quarterly travel plan and arranges related travel for consultants, meeting participants and UN Volunteers.
• Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
• Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
• Provides guidance/training to new/junior staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme / project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Understanding of the functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related units. Ability to work well with figures, undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources. The ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
- The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in programme or project administration, technical cooperation or related area is required.
- Working experience in the ERP System, Systems Applications and Products (SAP) is required.
- Experience providing administrative support in recruitment and arranging travel to diverse regional teams globally within the United Nations is required.
- Experience in Programme management or administration in the United Nations is desirable.
- 1 year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview.
Click here to apply
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot