|Posting Title:||PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT OFFICER, P3|
|Job Code Title:||PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT OFFICER|
|Department/Office:||United Nations Environment Programme|
|Posting Period:||11 April 2023 – 25 May 2023|
|Job Opening Number:||23-Programme Management-UNEP-203784-R-Nairobi (X)|
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
UNEP’s Ecosystems Division engages with governments and other partners to develop and promote ecosystem-based solutions for sustainable development. The post is located in the Transformation and Mainstreaming for Nature unit of the Biodiversity and Land Branch, Ecosystems Division at the Nairobi duty station. The Unit advances systems change for transformation that benefits biodiversity and sustainable development while mainstreaming nature into effective policy and decision-making. UNEP is supporting member states to implement the Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity framework with the support of the Global Environment Facility (GEF). This position will directly support activities to strengthen national action plans, engage across sectors and with whole-of-government and society and accelerate action for delivery of biodiversity impacts, ensure policy alignment and effective resource mobilization, among other areas.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief, of Transformation and Mainstreaming for Nature Unit, and the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
2. Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
3. Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
4. Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
5. Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems /issues and prepares conclusions.
6. Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications.
7. Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
8. Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
9. Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries.
10. Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget).
11. Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
12. Performs other related duties as required.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) environmental science or management, biodiversity conservation or related fields is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible work experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Work experience with the process of the Convention on Biological Diversity and the Global Environment Facility is desirable.
- Experience in managing multi country projects as a donor on biodiversity related matters is desirable.
- Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position(s) advertised, fluency in English and French is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: “Fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and “Knowledge of” equals a rating of “confident” in two of the four areas.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot