Get a job with the UN, NGOs & International Organisations
Good Salary and career progression
Find details here
Computer Science jobs, Geoinformatics jobs, Environmental Science jobs, Economic jobs,Political Science jobs,Information Science jobs, Media and Communications jobs,Journalism jobs,Finance jobs,Managerial jobs,
DEPUTY REGIONAL DIRECTOR [Temporary]
1. Coordinate the formulation and implementation of a coherent, relevant and effective regional strategic programme for Africa based on UNEP Programme of Work.
2. Monitor the quality of the clay-to-clay programming, operations and management performance of the Africa Office and ensure timely delivery of results, reporting to donors and compliance with corporate management policies and guidelines with regard to planning and programming.
3. Support the United Nations Delivering as One, particularly through substantive participation in the Regional Directors Teams meeting and the Regional Coordination Mechanism.
4. Promote the building of strategic partnerships with relevant Government Agencies, Regional bodies such as African Union Commission (AUC) and the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) Secretariat, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), Civil Society Organizations and all relevant regional, sub regional and national stakeholders.
5. Mobilize resources to support the implementation of UNEP’s Programme of Work.
6. Undertake regional and national environment intelligence gathering.
7. Enhance UNEP’s visibility and raise public awareness of environmental issues in the region.
8. Support the generation of knowledge and learning on African environment and development issues.
9. Act as Officer-in-Charge in the absence of the Regional Director. 10. Perform other duties as assigned as directed by the Regional Representative and Director.
(NOTE: Win 100% Scholarship Get UN and NGO Jobs. 5 lucky winners. Join NOW for Free Get More Details Here.)
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in natural or environmental science, economic/ political science, or a relevant scientific discipline is required·
A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in sustainable development or environmental science, of which five (5) years should be at the international level are required.
At least seven (7) years of experience in regional programme/projects coordination and resources mobilization is required
Work Experience in African countries preferably in the area of strategic policy setting and diplomatic negotiations is desirable
Graphic Designer and Illustrator
During development and eventual delivery of the publications, the consultant will report to the UNDP–UNEP Poverty-Environment Action Programme Management Officer. The Consultant will perform the following tasks:
• Copy editing in English within 15 days of receiving the draft document;
• Check document for redundancy of language or content; ensure that the product highlight key
messages in “plain” English, reducing jargon to deliver concise messages and ensure language
consistency across the product, propose improvements to ensure concise text; perform quality
assurance and correct consistency throughout the publications including review and correction of reference list and footnotes;
• Design infographics and illustrations that help convey the key messages of the publications. All
infographics should be submitted as separate image files that can be used for social media. Layout and design the entire publication, following the UNDP–UNEP Poverty-Environment Action publishing guidelines, Poverty-Environment Action graphic design guide for cover illustrations and layout publications including use of graphics, boxes, figures, pictures, and bullet points to ensure the publications are easy to read, aesthetically pleasing, and consistent throughout;
• Review and proof reading of the designed version of the publication and identify and advise on any needed corrections of the text;
• Adjust the layout and design in accordance with feedback from Poverty-Environment Action Unit staff. Independently liaise with Poverty-Environment Action staff to ensure that necessary corrections are made; and finalize the design and format of the document’s graphs, tables and related artwork, making it ready for electronic publishing and online dissemination.
• Design of communications materials (invitation, poster/roll up).Qualifications/special skills
Skills: Demonstrated willingness to work as part of a team, ability to work well and deliver quality outputs under tight deadlines and excellent computer skills are an added advantage.
Academic Qualifications: A university degree (1st degree) in English, Information science, knowledge management, media and communications, or other relevant fields is required.
Experience: Minimum eight (8) years of experience in editing of technical/policy documents preferably in environment and/or development is required. Broad knowledge of the UN system in general and understanding of policies, sound editorial and journalistic judgment as well as political sensitivities is desirable. Work experience with UNDP or UNEP an advantage.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English is required.
Senior Finance and Budget Assistant
• Researches, analyzes and presents findings on the organization’s income data and patterns including funding needs and gaps, preparation of profiles of the funding partners and their contributions to the organization and responses to the auditors.
• Develops surveys and designs data collection tools as well as the review and interpretation of the responses and preparation of conclusions.
• Reviews, analyses and prepares annual income estimates and revenue proposals, including preparation of the Voluntary Indicative Scale of Contributions and other instruments that support resource mobilization.
• Provides data and financial expertise for the development and maintenance of automated income information, reporting and management tools by using platforms, e.g. Power Business Intelligence and assesses and monitors the data accuracy, completeness and relevance.
• Prepares draft submissions to statutory, other standard and ad hoc reports to the Governing Bodies, Senior Management and other funding partners.
• Monitors integrity of various financial databases to ensure accuracy of income information based on actual pledges and payments received.
• Coordinates and reviews invoicing for Environment Fund and corporate funds managed by the Section in collaboration with UNEP’s Finance Management Section and UNON including ensure accurate banking details, invoice pledge amounts and all relevant information.
• Monitors receipts/payments of Environment Fund pledges and contributions to the corporate funds managed by the section, requests for receipts and notifies payee of status of payment as well as provides status reports of unpaid pledges.
• Monitors and reports on the financial performance of the corporate funding agreements including, budget implementation/expenditures, allotments, reallocation and re-phasal of funds and ensures compliance with relevant regulations, rules, policies and guidelines, as well as the funding agreements in collaboration with other finance and budget staff.
• Provides up-to-date financial information and income analysis for the Section’s intranet website and UNEP’s website.
• Assists funding partners, staff members, Fund Management Officers and Programme Managers regarding queries on contributions, payments and deposits relating to income on corporate funding agreements and Environment Fund.
• Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to resource mobilisation and income analysis ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
• Provides guidance, training and daily supervision to interns in the area of responsibility relating to income on Environment Fund and other sources of funding.
• Drafts or directly responds to enquiries from funding partners and colleagues in respect to relevant financial and budget matters.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplemental training in accounting and finance or related field is required.
Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in finance, budget, accounting, administrative services or related area is required.
Experience in an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) accounting and finance system
and International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) is desirable.
Experience in the United Nations system or other comparable international organization is
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.
News and Media Consultant
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s mandate is to coordinate the development of
environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. UNEP’s Communications Division communicates UNEP’s core messages to all stakeholders and partners, raising environmental awareness and enhancing the profile of UNEP worldwide.
To help achieve UNEP’s mandate to engage the media which includes drafting materials including creating innovative & effective media strategies, media advisories, press releases, key messaging documents, crafting and placing OpEds and securing & conducting media interviews. In addition, support during key events will also be required in attendance and designing media strategies to ensure sufficient media uptake of key decisions/objectives, specifically the fifteenth Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (COP-15) and the twenty-sixth Conference of the Parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change. All outputs will be delivered in close collaboration with the teams that the consultant is hired to support.
These teams include:
1. UNEP News and Media Team, Communication Division
2. UNEP Economy Division communication leads
3. Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD) Communication Team
4. Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) Communication Team
Under the supervision of the Head of News and Media Unit and the guidance of Chief Digital Strategy, the consultant will perform the following duties:
o Provide media support for the launch of the following reports:
o Second Eye on Methane Report
o Buildings Global Status Report
o Post 2020 Framework
o 2 IPBES Assessment Reports (ValuesAssessment & #SustainableUse of Wild Species)
o 2 Spotlight UNEP Reports (Emissions Gap Report and Adaptation Gap Report)
o Create, develop and implement media strategies for the following events/campaigns/programmes:
• Media support for the International Day of Awareness of Food Loss and Waste and revamping of Think.Eat.Save Campaign
• Media support for the SHIFT Programme
• Convention of Biological Diversity COP15
• Convention on the International Trade of Endangered Species COP 19
o General Media insight and implementation support provided to the UN Environment Programme, Convention on Biological Diversity and Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services priorities as they arise ensuring that all opportunities are leveraged to the max throughout the year based on availability & priori commitments of consultant’s. This is including, but not limited to, flagship reports, events, partnerships etc.
o Traditional media coverage capture and summary of reports outlined above
o Provide post-meeting media support
Academic Qualifications: University degree in journalism or a relevant field is required.
Experience: A minimum of twenty years’ experience in the media field with strong & established media relationships is required.
Marine socioeconomic datasets visualization consultant
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Head of the Nairobi Convention Secretariat and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer of the ACP MEAs 3 programme
1. Create visualization of the human environment datasets and awareness products on:
a. Population demographics and trends, coastal population growth in urban and rural areas, migration estimates
b. Built up areas, ports, harbours, shipyards, maritime transport, submarine cables, recreational areas, coastal tourism, roads, railway, hospitals, schools, fish markets
c. Fish land sites, mariculture (seaweed farms, cages, ponds, molluscs, sea cucumbers, sea horses), beekeeping, coastal agriculture (cashew farms, spice farms, livestock farming, bixa), irrigation (sugarcane, grains, horticulture)
d. Industries (oil and gas, wind/current/tidal/wave energy, mining/seabed mining, dredging, desalination plants,
e. Planning and management (administrative units, policies,legislation, coastal zones/areas, territorial waters, internal waters, EEZ, marine spatial/area plans, urban spatial plans, fish closure zones, locally managed marine areas, fishing areas, navy/military use, institutional coastal planning bodies/departments, community and cultural areas,
f. Pilot projects of the Nairobi Convention, best practices and lessons learnt
2. Identify trends and provide feedback regarding the thematic data in (1) above.
3. Refine the data model and processes to improve the underlying data and processes that impact data analysis, dashboard creation and reporting.
4. Employ strong analytical and database skills for analysis, identify data gaps, and develop awareness products.Qualifications/special skills
Master’s degree in Computer Science, Geoinformatics or related fields is required;
¿ A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in information and knowledge management, data analysis, collection and visualisation systems, results and online reporting or related area is required.
¿ Proven skills in designing and developing effective data visualizations (preferably in marine and coastal areas) using data visualization platforms such as advanced Excel visualizations, Tableau, PowerBI, and other business intelligence tools such as Geonetwork.
¿ Experience in information and knowledge management within the UN common system or another comparable international organization is desirable.