How To Get a 6 Figure Salary
Even Without a Degree or Masters
Free Live Event Register here
Vacancy No. CGHR/112/11/19
Location: Kisumu County
Reporting: Principle Investigator
Opening date: 2nd December 2019
Deadline: 23rd December 2019
The Kenya Medical Research Institute/Centre for Global Health Research (KEMRI/CGHR), the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM) are collaborating to conduct research on malaria, HIV, TB and other diseases of public health importance. An exciting opportunity is currently open for an Assistant Research Officer (ARO) within the Program. The candidate will work on a project “Research to Policy in Africa: Evidence synthesis for building the translation pipeline to eliminate infectious diseases”. The project aims to build local capacity for evidence synthesis, translating research evidence into policy and for making evidence-informed decisions for controlling or eliminating infectious diseases. Using HIV, Tuberculosis and Malaria as examples, we will use evidence synthesis from different research and knowledge sources to inform technical policy, programmatic guidance and to inform optimum implementation and revisions to existing policies.
- A BSc in Microbiology, Biology, Community Health, Public Health or any other relevant/related field from a recognized training institution
- At least one year of experience in Public Health Research. Desired Qualities
- Fluency in English- both written and oral.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills and attention to details.
- Good leadership skills, assertiveness, ability to take initiative and work within deadlines.
- Flexibility to work long hours, including weekends and public holidays.
- Proficiency in the use of computers.
- Experience with systematic reviews, meta-analysis and/or any form of evidence synthesis.
(NOTE:Are you feeling stuck in your career? Get FREE career and professional consultation, coaching and mentoring.Join us for the FREE Professional Development Training.We have limited space. Book your spot here.)
The Research Scientist will report to the Principal Investigator and will be responsible for ensuring that the data collection and filing of all study documents is conducted to the highest standards possible as per the study guidelines. S/he will be trained to conduct systematic reviews and meta-analyses under guidance. S/he must be flexible and work within the existing structure, professionally and ethically with competence, accountability and integrity.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Writing and reviewing of study and systematic review protocols.
- Searching for literature in electronic databases and other sources 2
- Selecting eligible primary studies for the systematic reviews.
- Extraction of information from selected primary studies using recommended tools.
- Resolving discrepancies identified during data extraction.
- Conduct preliminary meta-analyses under the guidance of the supervisory team .
- Contribute to preparing and reviewing manuscripts for peer-review submission.
- Author at least one peer-reviewed publication under the guidance of the supervisory team.
- Maintain, audit and archive documents as required by study guidelines.
- Any other duties assigned by the Principal Investigator.
Terms of Employment:
1-year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service and a probation period for the first three months. This is a four-year project.
The post will include on-line or off-site training opportunities in evidence synthesis and meta-analysis Remuneration: Compensation is negotiable within the appropriate grade, based on education levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency. The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI scales.
Applications should include the following:
- Letter of application (Indicate vacancy No.)
- All applicants must meet each selection criteria detailed in the minimum requirements.
- Must include a current CV with names of at least 2 referees.
- Must include copies of academic and professional certificates.
- Must include a copy of Certificate of good conduct .
- Must have KRA Certificate of Tax compliance.
- Must have Clearance Certificate from HELB.
- Must have credit reference Bureau Certificate.