|SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT, G7
|Job Code Title:
|SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
|United Nations Office at Nairobi
|25 May 2023 – 23 June 2023
|Job Opening Number:
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) and the Resident Coordinator System globally, as well as other UN Agencies, Funds or Programmes operating in or from Kenya, by providing administrative, operational, conferencing and information services.
This position is located in the Office of the Director, Division of Administrative Services (ODA), UNON, Under the supervision of the Special Assistant to the Director of Administration.
Human Resources Management:
• Coordinates various actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures. Liaises with central administration/executive services as required.
• Oversees and keeps tracks of vacancies and Job Openings (JOs) across the Division of Administration. Prepares management guidance through the DMSPC reporting portal on the Division of Administrative Services (DAS) vacancy rate.
• Monitors the division wide staffing tables for a variety of human resource activities, e.g., appointments, retirement, expiration of appointments, reassignments, transfer and movement of staff.
• Assists the Special Assistant in managing senior recruitments on behalf of the Office of the Director of Administration. Coordinating candidate review and selection activities, such as reviewing of applications, short-listing, written assessments, competency-based interviews and final report writing.
• Under the supervision of the Chairperson, act as primary Secretary of the Nairobi Local Committee on Contracts (LCC).
• As Secretary for the LCC, duties involve arranging meetings, ensuring timely and efficient distribution of presentations, drafting minutes and recommendations, necessary liaising with UNON Procurement Section, and coordinating memberships from across UNON, UNEP and UN-Habitat.
• Under the supervision of the Chairperson, act as liaison for the UNON Tender Opening Committee (TOC).
• For the UNON TOC, prepare and monitor nominations of members from across UNON, follow up on mandatory documentation and liaise as appropriate with UNON Procurement Section.
• For LCC and TOC, act as focal point for coordination of training, preparation of Information Circulars on memberships and timely dissemination of broadcasts.
• Provides support on Internal and External Audit exercises on behalf of UNON and DAS.
• Facilitate the operational work of the external auditors by liaising between managers and auditors.
• Review Audit recommendations to identify which office should comment and/or provide input and ensure responses are provided within provided deadlines.
• Coordinate logistics and administrative support for the external auditors including, coordinating access to the UN complex and booking meeting/ conference rooms.
• Manage online platforms for audit reports and recommendations which include status of implementation; develops an understanding of the audit client`s business.
• Maintain electronic files for internal audit reports, external audit reports and external correspondence.
• Under the guidance of the Special Assistant provides coordination support for the Office of the Director, including but not limited to the Director’s calendar, time and attendance, managing divisional leave plans for senior managers.
• Drafting of correspondence including documents of a confidential nature as required by the Director; and maintain a track of online and hardcopy correspondence and follow up on necessary actions.
• Support the Special Assistant in managing and coordinating travel related services for the Director’s, including annual budgeting for the same. Provides assistance in monitoring official mission requests for divisional chiefs and arrangements for Officers-in-Charge.
• Support the Special Assistant in the coordination and programme planning for official visits. Coordinate as necessary with DAS divisions, the Office of the Director-General, and other stakeholders. Follow up as necessary with the ODA Event Coordinator responsible for organizing of conferences, workshops, seminars and meetings. Act as focal point for visitor booking requests through the Department of Safety and Security.
• Drafts agenda, reports, official programmes, notes/minutes of meetings, retreats, workshops, official visits as relates to ODA for local and global services. Manages and tracks incoming and outgoing correspondences, actions as appropriate and manages document storage.
• Support to the annual physical inventory verification exercise by checking the accuracy of records and location of property. Act as focal point for gate passes for official equipment.
• Act as the petty cash custodian for ODA.
• Performing other related administrative duties, as required (e.g. identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems, physical space planning, low-value acquisitions).
• Supports the Special Assistant to ensure the efficient operation of the ODA office, adequacy of coverage with respect to Flexible Work Arrangements and leave plans, and acts as backup as required to ensure the smooth running of ODA.
• Performs other duties as required.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of the Organization’s conference policies, procedures and practices. Ability to research, select, organize and summarize information required for the preparation of meetings. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Completion of High school diploma or equivalent is required. Supplementary courses or additional training in administration, project management or other related field is desirable.
- Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for the Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST. The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of written assessment or interview.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in an administration function is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced by two years for candidates who possess a first level University degree.
- Experience in an Executive Front Office or supporting senior management is required.
- Experience working in international organizations such as the United Nations and similar multi-national organizations is desirable.
- One (1) or more years of experience in data analytics or related field is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: “Fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ” Knowledge of” equals a rating of ” confident” in two of the four areas.Assessment
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot