Project Management,NGO jobs, UN jobs,
Senior Programme Management Assistant, G7
- Independently provides full range of programme / project management and implementation assistance at all phases of the programme / project cycle for, typically, a large and highly complex component of the departmental programme / project initiatives, seeking guidance only in exceptional circumstances.
- Researches, compiles, analyses, summarizes, and presents basic information/data on wide range of programmes / projects and related topics, highlighting noteworthy issues/trends for consideration by appropriate parties.
- Tracks resolutions and other legislative decisions that affect programme / project content and oversees the preparation of the relevant database(s) to ensure the incorporation of programmatic and other changes enacted by legislation.
- Reviews, appraises and revises, as necessary, all submissions for substantive programmes / projects, ensuring compliance with guidelines and programme /project objectives; identifies problems/issues, seek clarification from departments, assess replies, and prepares a summary for the manager with suggestions for further action.
- Works with funding agencies in arranging financing modalities; obtains requisite clearances; ensures establishment of proper monitoring systems through scheduled reporting, review meetings and missions.
- Drafts budget and forecast based on submissions; prepares monitoring checklists, identifying stages of programme / project development, funding source, inputs by reviewing internal and external bodies, and follow-up actions required.
- Monitors budgetary commitments, including verification of charges and obligation documents in UMOJA for all financial transactions.
- Prepares periodic budget revisions and ensures appropriate resource allocations; reconciles accounts with amended budget; evaluates trends of financial implementation and makes necessary recommendations to line manager.
Project monitoring and evaluation
- Prepares newsletters on programme/ project-related activities; drafts inputs for a wide range of documents / reports, briefings/debriefings, correspondence, etc.
- Serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of Environmental Governance projects, implementation activities and participates in programme / evaluation; monitor implementation at all stages to ensure work is proceeding according to established plans, including analysing implementation difficulties and initiating remedial action; liaises with diverse organizational units to initiate requests; prepares standard terms of reference against programme / project objectives, obtains necessary clearances, processes and follows-up on administrative actions and resolves issues related to project implementation, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, organization of and participation in training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of meeting venue and services, etc.
- Arranges for formal closures of projects, final budget revision, transfer of equipment, clearance, publication and distribution of final report, expenditure reports.
- Provides secretariat services to Regional consultative meetings, Regional Symposiums, committees, ad hoc task forces, etc.; drafts and circulates agenda notes to members / participants; assembles background documentation; drafts minutes of the meeting; monitors follow-up actions, etc.
- May undertake mission/field work in support of above activities, e.g. specific administrative, operational / control tasks for programme/ project activities.
- Consolidation of inputs and preparation of project reports in Integrated Project Management and Reporting (IPMR) and Project Information and Management System (PIMS)
- Serves as a focal point for UNEP Environment Fund Contributions in Africa.
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Establishes internal databases; sets up, files, stores and manages data and information relevant to the scope of programme / project activities.
- Supervises office support staff, including distribution and review of work assignments, training, and inputs to performance evaluation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme / project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Understanding of the functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related units. Ability to identify, independently assess, formulate recommendations and/or resolve a wide range of issues/problems, undertake research and gather information from standard sources and to work well with figures including ability to analyze and understand financial data. Ability to design information data bases from multiple sources into an integrated programme evaluation system. Ability to direct, supervise and train office support staff. Demonstrated ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given and discretion, resourcefulness and ability to deal proactively and tactfully with offices throughout the organization. Ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
- Supplementary training in project / programme management, administration, or related fields is desirable
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in programme / project management or related areas is required.
- Working experience with Umoja or any other similar ERP/SAP for procurement is desirable
- Working experience for United Nations or other similar international agencies is desirable.
- A minimum one (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.