- Job Opening ID: 224730
- Job Network : Economic, Social and Development
- Job Family : Programme Management
- Category and Level : General Service and Related Categories, G-7
- Duty Station : NAIROBI
- Department/Office : United Nations Environment Programme
- Date Posted : Jan 12, 2024
- Deadline : Feb 10, 2024
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This post is located in the Biodiversity, People, and Landscapes Unit in the Biodiversity and Land Branch (BLB), Ecosystems Division, at the Nairobi duty station and reports to the Head of the Unit.
The position provides programme management assistance to the Nature Programme Coordination Projects (PCPs), specifically with regard to implementing and overseeing the PCP’s operational implementation.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Independently provides a full range of programme/project management and implementation assistance at all phases of the programme/project cycle, including IPMR (Integrated Planning, Management and Reporting) management and reporting, programme monitoring and evaluation, and seeking guidance only in exceptional circumstances.
- Researches, compiles, analyses, summarizes, and presents basic information and data on a wide range of programs, projects, and related topics, highlighting noteworthy issues and trends for consideration by appropriate parties.
- Tracks resolutions and other legislative decisions that affect program or project content and oversees the preparation of the relevant database(s) to ensure the incorporation of programmatic and other changes enacted by legislation.
- Reviews, appraises, and revises, as necessary, all submissions for substantive programs or projects, ensuring compliance with guidelines and program or project objectives; identifies problems or issues; seeks clarification from departments; assesses replies; and prepares a summary for the manager with suggestions for further action.
- Works with funding agencies in arranging financing modalities; obtains requisite clearances; ensures the establishment of proper monitoring systems through scheduled reporting, review meetings, and missions.
- Drafts budget and forecast based on submissions; prepares monitoring checklists; identifies stages of program or project development, funding sources, inputs by reviewing internal and external bodies; and follows up on actions required.
- Monitors budgetary commitments, including verification of charges and obligation documents in UMOJA for all financial transactions; prepares periodic budget revisions and ensures appropriate resource allocations; reconciles accounts with the amended budget; evaluates trends of financial implementation; and makes necessary recommendations to the line manager.
- Prepares newsletters on program- or project-related activities, drafts inputs for a wide range of documents, reports, briefings, debriefings, correspondence.
- Serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of implementation activities and participates in programme/project evaluation; monitor implementation at all stages to ensure work is proceeding according to established plans, including analysing implementation difficulties and initiating remedial action; liaises with diverse organizational units to initiate requests; prepares standard terms of reference against programme/project objectives, obtains necessary clearances, processes and follows-up on administrative actions and resolves issues related to project implementation, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, organization of and participation in training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services.
- Arranges for the formal closure of projects, final budget revision, transfer of equipment, clearance, publication, and distribution of the final report.
- Provides secretariat services to committees, ad hoc tasks forces; drafts and circulates agenda notes to members and participants; assembles background documentation; drafts minutes of the meeting; monitors follow-up actions.
- May undertake mission or field work in support of the above activities, e.g., specific administrative, operational, or control tasks for program or project activities.
- Establishes internal databases; sets up, files, stores, and manages data and information relevant to the scope of program or project activities.
- Supervises office support staff, including distribution and review of work assignments, training, and inputs to performance evaluation.
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as the preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning, and decision-making.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to programme coordination and implementation, monitoring and evaluation, finance and budgeting or related field. Ability to perform analysis, modelling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates an appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; and uses time efficiently.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost, and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight, and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his or her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
- Additional technical training and/or supplementary courses in business administration, programme/project management or other related fields are desirable.
- Ten (10) years of experience in programme or project administration, technical cooperation, or a related area is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to eight (8) years for candidates who possess a first-level university degree or higher.
- Experience in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, such as SAP (Umoja) or other equivalent platforms, is required. Experience in results-based planning and reporting is required.
- Experience using Microsoft Office or Office 365 is required. Experience in conducting research and preparing statistical or analytical reports from various databases is desirable.
- Experience in the application of relevant regulations and rules of the United Nations, or any similar public service organization, in an operational environment is desirable.
- Experience in processes and procedures related to travel, procurement, finance, or human resources is desirable.
- One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
- NOTE: “Fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand), and “knowledge of” equals a rating of “confident” in two of the four areas.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise, which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot