Get a job with NGOs, the UN & International Organisations
Earn a 6 Figure Salary Even Without a Degree
Find details here
Program Officer Jobs, Banking Jobs, Economics Jobs,
Principal Country Programme Officer
Closing Date: 19-Jan-2022
(NOTE: Average minimum salary 200K working as a Project Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Consultant, Financial Advisor, Technical adviso. Massive 2021 recruitment conducted by Government, Counties, NGOs, UN, UNDP, World Bank, international development community, UNESCO, WHO, USAID. Get the details click here)
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities. The Vice Presidency for Regional Development will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates. Within regional development, integration and business delivery complex the Bank has five (5) regional hubs one in each region: South Africa, North Africa, West Africa, East Africa, and Central Africa. Each Regional Hub is headed by a Director General.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The various Country Office falls within one of the five (5) Regions of the Africa Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs. The Hub oversees a combination of country and liaison offices, as well as non-presence countries. The Director General is accountable of the specific African region. Each Hub will house relevant operations, business development and project implementation functions and administrative capabilities in a shared service for rapid deployment into the individual countries, to help drive the overall business of the Bank effectively on the ground.
Country Offices of the African Development Bank have been established to strengthen policy dialogue between the Bank, Governments and other stakeholders; improve performance of the project portfolio and aid coordination with other development partners.
The Principal Country Programme Officer (CPO) will work closely with the Director General, Deputy Director General and Country Manager, to support programme implementation and monitoring in designated countries and responsibilities. The CPO provides facilitation to review, examine and evaluate the organization’s objectives, structure, procedures, policies and management systems. This is achieved through the evaluation of the efficiency and effectiveness of organizational programs, applying techniques such as management, organizational analysis, methods & procedures studies. The job also conducts planning and analyses of program and budget proposals to ensure conformity with the organization’s work program, strategic focus and budgetary objectives. The incumbent provided periodic reports to management summarizing findings and recommendations for changes based on these analyses are undertaken.
The primary role of a CPO is to ensure a healthy and performing portfolio in the assigned Country. The Incumbent serves as the professional expert to support the Director General, Deputy Director General and Country Manager with multiple work program and project activities. The role requires the continuous follow-ups with relevant task managers and prepare Country or Regional Portfolio improvement plans.
As CPO, the incumbent provides advice and guides strategic planning through strategic analysis and results frameworks within the assigned country. The incumbent supports and provides input for the design and development of work programs/projects and activities based on the approved Complex strategy and results framework and provide expertise for budgeting of resources.
Under the supervision of the Director General, or Deputy Director General and/or Country Manager, the CPO undertakes the following duties and responsibilities:
- Preparation of reports – Prepare on a quarterly basis, a summary of the Quarterly Portfolio Report for the Directr/Deputy Director General/Country Manager.
- Prepare on a monthly basis a synthesis of the implementation of the Country Office work program and highlight the bottlenecks and proposed solutions.
- Monitor the implementation of the recommendations of the monthly portfolio flashlight reports and other reports such as flagged and projects due for cancellation, outstanding special account balances, etc.
- Budget Management – As Budget Coordinator or focal person to the Country Office, play a coordination role for the preparation of the Country Office work program and related budget jointly with Country Economists and Regional Program Officers and project Task Managers.
- Coordination – Coordinate the Country Office submission through the use of the BRAG tool in coordination with Sector Experts, Economists and Ecosystem Staff.
- Coordinate overall portfolio management and operations programming.
- Monitoring – Follow-up and manage portfolio and operational activities.
- Follow-up on Independent Evaluation and project audit recommendations and requirements of the Board.
- Project & Work Program Management – Work with Sector Experts responsible for specific projects to ensure that solution to pending projects problems are resolved, and additionally serve as Secretary to the Country Team.
- Relationship Management – Serve as a corporate relationship manager for the Bank at the level of the assigned country office.
- Serve as the focal point on operational issues between the Country Office and external constituencies and borrowers.
- Compliance Management – Ensure that activity reports and audit reports comply with Bank requirements and are submitted on time.
- Ensure that the recommendations of supervision, portfolio review and audit missions are implemented.
- Provide effective oversight to project task teams on quality and compliance with Bank operational processes and procedures (including referring them to the relevant responsible staff in fiduciary, legal, safeguards, or other specialized areas);
- Coordinate and support the work of Sector experts in undertaking country portfolio performance review processes with the Government and other Development Partners.
- Undertake quality control of key documents, participate in dialogue with Government, Regional or Country Economic Communities as required, and follow up on agreed actions.
- Support the Director/Deputy Director General/Country Manager in ensuring country office team members actions comply with Bank Ethics, Regulations, Policies and guidance.
- Provide input to the preparation portfolio related to country briefs for Annual Meetings and other briefs to Management.
- Support the Director/Deputy Director General in office administration
- Coordinate, respond and prepare letters for the Director/Deputy Director General/Country Managers
- Undertake any activities/assignments as may be designated by the Director/Deputy Director General/Country Managers.
Coordination of Non-Lending Activities
- Advice the Director/Deputy Director General/Country Manager on strategic options as required to improve revenue generation and/or cost efficiencies. Work closely with the Director/Deputy Director General/Country Manager and provide input to the yearly business planning and budgeting process, by considering the assigned country’s needs & advising to ensure that work programmes are well constructed and aligned with Bank’s priorities that include but are not limited to income generation & operational priorities.
- Provide support in administering the analytics and advisory activities and lending operations at various stages of preparation and provide inputs on such documentation. This function focuses on reviewing and assessing concept notes, draft appraisal reports, other operations documents and final outputs;
- Under the guidance of the Director/Deputy Director General/Country Manager, establish and, strategically manage solid working relationships with the assigned country’s government, international development agencies, clients and key stakeholders.
- Support the Director/Deputy Director General/Country Manager to manage communication and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products.
- Actively support the Director/Deputy Director General/Country Manager to manage relationships with government and other Development Partners (DPs).
- Advise on and lead initiatives and strategies to foster effective and strong relationships with Government, Private Sector and Development Partners.
- Lead the Country portfolio performance review process with the Government and other Development Partners that include responsibility for quality control of key documents, taking part in dialogue with Government and following up on agreed actions;
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of project outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance).
- Actively interact with task managers/relevant Bank units and the PIUs/government agencies to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the portfolio management;
- Provide feedback to the Director/Deputy Director General/Country Manager on Bank policies, strategies and operational procedures, with an aim towards continuous improvement of Bank policies implementation;
- Incorporate lessons learned in project development and implementation.
- Support the Director/Deputy Director General/Country Manager’s efforts to improve the Bank’s visibility in the region;
- Represent and provide visibility when and where required for and including through organizing/participating in events such as senior level visits, interviews, seminars, business events and conferences;
- Focus on ensuring high quality and performance of the country’s portfolio;
- Ensure all reports and submissions are timely and of high quality;
- Work jointly with relevant country teams and managers to meet KPI assigned targets; and
- Play a key role and advise within the assigned country on economic, political, social and other developments relevant to the Bank’s operations in the country.
- Championing the Complex / Regional mandate and purpose – Provide a direct and indirect operational support that contributes to the Region or Country output and mandate of the Complex.
COMPETENCIES (skills, experience and knowledge):
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Engineering, Agriculture/Forestry, Business Administration, Public Administration or any relevant field, and knowledge of development issues.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience in the formulation and implementation of policies, programs and projects either within the Bank or with a similar development institution or the public service;
- Experience working in a team in a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary, international and professional environment.
- Relevant and required experience gained on the African continent;
- Experience gained within multilateral development finance institutions.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation and/or review of operations in a multilateral financial institution;
- Behavioral Competencies:
- Innovation & Creativity
- Client Orientation
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent Communication skills
- Professional Expertise
- Relationship management skills
- Influencing skills
- Takes Initiative/Spotting Opportunity/Pushing Strategy
- Highly organised & structured
- Technical Competencies:
- Comprehensively understands projects structures, including project planning, risk management strategy, issue management strategy, communication management strategy, with an acute knowledge and understanding of the elements essential for the effective delivery and measurement of development impacts through projects and programs in Africa.
- Ability to identify and create meaningful linkages across sectors
- Operational Effectiveness skills using all the systems, procedures and culture within the organization for required results delivery.
- Highly developed strategic thinking skills allied to an ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable projects and programs.
- Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with senior counterparts, both internal and external, and understands when and how to apply tact, influence, maintain a hard line, make or break contacts, understand unwritten lines of influence and conduct oneself accordingly.
Executing for Results
- High level of expertise in managing portfolio performance
- Make effective, timely and well-determined interventions for results delivery.
- Ability to work under pressure in a multicultural and distributed organization.
- Client and results orientation, with strong analytical and communication (both verbally and in writing) skills, responsiveness, sense of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to build successful teams, relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients, internal and external, for effective delivery of results that meet the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution.
- Managerial/Leadership competencies:
- Ability to provide comprehensive thought Leadership on programme delivery and related issues
- Mentorship/coaching skills
- People management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and spoken) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
Apply for this position
1- Regular Staff
If you are currently working at the African Development Bank as a regular staff, click on the button below to apply for this position.Apply for this position(link is external)
2- External Candidate
If you are not currently working at the African Development Bank, or if you are a Short Term Staff (STS), a Technical Assistant or a Consultant at the Bank, click on the button below to apply for the position.