Ongoing Recruitment UN Jobs 2023
Submit your CV now
Business related jobs, Public Administration jobs, Development Management jobs, Natural Resource Management jobs,Journalism jobs, Communication jobs, International Relations jobs, Social Sciences jobs, Computer Science jobs, Geoinformatics jobs,
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Communications Division communicates UNEP’s core messages to all stakeholders and partners, raising environmental awareness and enhancing the profile of UNEP worldwide.
The Writer will produce feature stories on UNEP’s programme of work, with a focus on nature action and disasters and conflict. Under the supervision of the Head Writer, the consultant will perform the following duties:
* Liaise with UNEP’s communication division and subprogramme coordinators to identify, research, conduct interviews and develop story ideas on nature action and disasters and conflict-related issues.
* Draft stories for UNEP and partner websites to support UNEP’s policy positions and advocacy goals on nature action and disasters and conflict-related issues.
* Follow the news agenda on these topics, proactively identify and pitch topics for stories.Qualifications/special skills
(NOTE: Get a 6 Figure Salary Even Without a Degree or Masters working with NGOs and the UN. Get More Details Here.)
Academic Qualifications: Advanced university degree in journalism, communication, international relations, social sciences or other related field is required, A first university degree with an additional two years of qualifying experience maybe accepted in lieu of Advanced University degree.
Experience: Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information, communication, programme management or related field is required
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in written and spoken English is required; knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
Ocean biophysical datasets visualization consultant
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Head of the Nairobi Convention Secretariat and direct supervision of the Programme Officer of the ACP MEAs 3 programme, the consultant will be responsible for the following:
1. Create data visualization dashboards and awareness products on:
a. Oceanographic data showing ocean near surface monthly and annual climatology, surface salinity, water turbidity, surface currents, upwelling, tidal range, coastal hydrodynamics and offshore current systems, pH, threats to the ocean environment (oil spill, land based pollution, sedimentation, acidification)
b. Biological data e.g. marine habitats with special reference to coral reefs at national level, mangroves, seagrass beds, salt marshes, kelp, biodiversity on areas beyond national jurisdiction, ecoregions and related transboundary marine conservation areas, Ecologically and biologically significant areas (EBSA), vulnerable marine ecosystems (VME), fisheries
c. Coastal and marine and geomorphological features of importance in influencing the marine environment e.g. freshwater resources and drainage (rivers, groundwater, springs, estuaries, deltas and coastal lakes), seamounts, knolls, seamounts, banks and shelves, ocean depths, mineral nodules, coastal zone, continental shelf,
2. Identify trends and provide feedback regarding the thematic data in (1) above.
3. Refine the data model and processes to improve the underlying data and processes that impact data analysis, dashboard creation and reporting.
4. Employ strong analytical and database skills for analysis, identify data gaps, and develop awareness products.Qualifications/special skills
Min. Academic Education
Master’s degree in Computer Science, Geoinformatics or related fields is required;
Min. years of relevant
¿ A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in information and knowledge management, data analysis, collection and visualisation systems, results and online reporting or related area is required.
¿ Proven skills in designing and developing effective data visualizations (preferably in marine and coastal areas) using data visualization platforms such as advanced Excel visualizations, Tableau, PowerBI, and other business intelligence tools such as Geonetwork.
¿ Experience in information and knowledge management within the UN common system or another comparable international organization is desirable.
Fluent written and spoken English (required)Additional Information
• Professionalism: Knowledge of information management and data analysis tools and techniques, including those related to spatial and operational data management. Ability to awareness products with management and policy orientations based on trend analysis of data and information provided.
• Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES::
1.Project Delivery and Performance
• Support the Technical Advisor of UNEP on coordinating the UNREDD TA in Indonesia
• Supervise the TLGF (Tropical Landscape Finance Facility Grant Fund) and TLFF operation on finance and administration, human resources, including oversight of the tropical landscape grant fund, and overseeing and organizing staff movement in line with UN safety and security requirements
• Oversee project management of the GAC (Global Affairs Canada support for for TLFF Secretariat and TLFF Grant Fund), and the USAID-funded SIAP IFM (Integrated Fire Management) and the Dutch-funded Landskap project activities. This includes overseeing project management unit and project implementation, and oversee administrative matters, work-plans, budgets, monitoring and reporting.
• Be part of the UN Indonesia OMT (Operational Management Team) and actively involves in the meeting/events and sharing the information to all staff. Collaborating on operational matters with other UN agencies in Indonesia
• Actively engage in resource mobilization and provides strategic inputs/feedbacks to budget and workplan formulation and related legal agreement formulation and follow up and response to donor queries.
• Manage and oversee the overall operational team of GAC and SIAP project, including its compliance to UNEP HR policies.
• Oversee the engagement with the GoI on policy advisory services respected to the GAC and SIAP project and other UNEP initiatives as necessary, such as the International Tropical Peatland Center (ITPC) and the Tropical Landscape Finance Facility (TLFF);
• Actively contribute to coordination and synergies between activities in Indonesia and the wider UNREDD portfolio and climate finance unit in Asia Pacific and other regions.
• Actively building knowledge sharing with UNEP colleagues and UNEP partners in Indonesia.
• Coordinate and liaise with Supervisor on the progress implementation, including internal and external reports, as delegated by Supervisor
• Identify and report threats to UNEP/TLFF internal business case to supervisor, including any deviations from the plan and updated plans.
• Advice provided to UNEP Indonesia and TLFF team on updated GoI policies and procedures.
• Advice provided to the team to ensure reporting, monitoring and evaluation meet the deadlines and requirements
• Provide substantive feedback on program/project annual report development
• Provide technical assistance as needed to other UNEP’s projects
• Support Supervisor in maintaining the following:
o Electronic File,
o Manage compilation, consolidation and analysis of relevant data.
o Assist Supervisor in the reporting preparation
3. Stakeholder Management:
• Support UNEP and TLFF secretariat liaising with key stakeholders, including international and local non-government organizations, and interest groups and opinion shapers in and outside Indonesia on a regular basis.
• Support Head of TLFF Secretariat in connection with academic institutions, think-tanks and individuals that undertake analysis on sustainable development and climate change issues in Indonesia both at national and subnational level.
4. Personnel Management:
• Lead and motivate staff
• Coordinating and overseeing staff/consultants
• Ensure that behavioral expectations of team members are established
• Promote teamwork, collaboration, and diversity by providing timely guidance and supervision to the team
• Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
• Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice
• Actively interact with other team members and/or other UN and INGO’s officials to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
• Complete lessons learned as per reporting format
• Incorporate lessons learned from others as per planning format
Core Values and Principles:
• Understand and respect sustainability principles
I. Look for ways to embed sustainability principles in day-to-day project management
II. Seek opportunities to champion gender equality at workplace
III. Champion and communicate project’s sustainability aspects with key stakeholders
• Understand and respect national ownership and capacity
i. Understand the principles of the Paris Declaration on aid effectiveness and mainstream them in the project plans
ii. Seek opportunities to recruit qualified local staff
iii. Look for ways to build capacity of local counterparts
• Partnerships and Coordination
i. Understand the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and UNEP within the UN system
ii. Strive to build strong partnerships and effective coordination among relevant project actors (e.g. United Nations, governments, and non-governmental organizations or other relevant partners)
• Accountability for results and the use of resources
i. The project management processes are designed to deliver maximum accountability, transparency and results.
i. Contribute to innovation and the adaptation of best practice standards of sustainability and quality.
Academic Qualifications: An advanced University degree, in business or public administration, development management, natural resource management, sustainable finance or related areas. preferably in environmental sciences, forestry and land use management or the equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Experience: • A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in project and program management, administration and related areas. Experience of working in a UN agencies/secretariat is an advantage.
• Understanding and experience working with various project management tools and program is an advantage. Experience and understanding of working on environment finance and natural resources issues in Indonesia is critical.
• Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to Climate Change and REDD+, and practical experience in environmental management, climate change adaptation or other related fields.
• Experience in working closely with senior officials of the Government of Indonesia and NGOs
e. Functional competencies:
• Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural hazards and humanitarian crisis).
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with people in a multi-cultural environment.
• Ability to manage, organize, plan and implement work assignments
• Cope effectively with competing demands and work under pressure of frequent and non-negotiable deadlines.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and ability to handle a range of management and coordination issues.
d. Other Skills
• Good analytical and problem-solving skills, fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications
• Strong analytical skills, understanding of the political economy of tropical peat land use, integrated fire management, land-use and forestry.
• Familiarity with the UN system is an asset
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English and Bahasa is required.