Feeling Stuck in Career?
Get free professional career coaching
African Wildlife Foundation (AWF) works with the people of Africa to ensure its wildlife and wild lands thrive in modern Africa. The organization is seeking high-performing individuals to fill the position of Youth Coordinator. This position will ensure that current and future Youth programming is designed and implemented most appropriately to the African context and meets AWF’s vision and strategy. Further, the Youth Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring effective coordination with other actors, monitoring and evaluation, and quality assurance of AWF’s Youth portfolio.
The Youth Coordinator ensures leveraging and alignment with other youth programs related to conservation and works with AWF’s staff. S/he is responsible for developing a three-year youth strategy, contributing to program design and development, technical support to interventions, measurement, research and documentation, representation and partnership development, proposal and resource development and training, mentoring, and organizational learning for implementing youth program partners. Finally, the Youth Coordinator is responsible for the development of a strong and sustainable Youth program portfolio in AWF. The position will report to the Vice President, Strategy & Knowledge Management.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop a 5-year AWF Youth Strategy and a 3-year implementation plan aligned to AWF strategic plan.
- Develop, implement, and oversee a portfolio of Youth Program activities and ensure that services are delivered on time, on budget, and in compliance with donor regulations.
- Ensure that the Youth Program is implemented in ways responsive to communities, partners, and AWF’s principles, values, and strategic plan and is compliant with AWF’s procedures
- Work with the staff to develop work-plans and follow up with team members regularly to ensure that activities are on track.
- Monitor program progress against both programmatic and budgetary targets, making adjustments to program design as necessary.
- Work with the Program Design team and Country Directors to identify appropriate future partners for implementation of the Youth Program.
- Take part in ongoing capacity assessments of Youth Program partners.
- Collaborate with program teams and others to ensure the Youth agenda is embedded in AWF’s programming.
Partnership & Capacity
- Support partnership modality by ensuring partner organizations are active members/participants in all operations cycle.
- Conduct periodic reviews of annual plans to identify bottlenecks and the ways those bottlenecks could be addressed.
- Support the development of capacity building plans for Youth programming partners.
- Provide regular coaching on technical and program management skills to field staff and other patters as needed.
- Provide mentoring and role modeling for staff and partners on youth issues.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Actively monitor Youth program activities, ensuring quality of AWF program.
- In collaboration with the Knowledge Management department, develop appropriate and additional institutional metrics and indicators as necessary to track Youth Program progress.
- Ensure appropriate, timely, and accurate data collection against agreed indicators to enable both internal and external reporting.
- Support design and organization required for assessments, baselines, and evaluations, particularly in regard to communicating needs to the Youth Program’s partners team, and participate where possible.
- Make a relevant business intelligence analysis and adopt best practice and examples of well executed projects, especially in the field of sustainability which managed to mobilize massive youth engagement and capacity building and analyses success factors and opportunities.
- Identify partnerships that can support AWF’s Youth Program.
- In collaboration with Program Design, Field Programs, Corporate Communications develop proposals to fund the Youth Program.
- Advanced degree in (or Bachelor’s degree and equivalent experience) in social sciences, international development or other relevant field.
- At least 8+ years of experience with Youth or Youth-centered programs.
- A strong understanding of the African context.
- Ability to analyze information, evaluate options, and to think and plan strategically.
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports.
- A team player who is able to work collaboratively and with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent writing, editing, and analytical skills. Written and spoken fluency in English required. French a plus.
- Cultural sensitivity with strong interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of basic financial principles, budgeting, and cost analysis.
- Strong leadership capacity including management of team resources (both financial and human), providing guidance and mentorship to junior staff, and ensuring team’s delivery of goals.
- Patience, listening skills, diplomacy, and a sense of humor.
- Willingness to travel, sometimes to remote locations within Africa.
- Demonstrated commitment to conservation of wildlife and wild lands.
Closing date: July 31, 2019
How to Apply for a Job by Email in 2020 and Get The Job Interview