Feeling Stuck in Career?
Get free professional career coaching
UNEP careers, Finance and budget officer Jobs
FINANCE AND BUDGET OFFICER, P4
- Posting Title: FINANCE AND BUDGET OFFICER, P4
- Job Code Title: FINANCE AND BUDGET OFFICER
- Department/Office: United Nations Environment Programme
- Duty Station: NAIROBI
- Posting Period: 17 July 2020 – 30 August 2020
- Job Opening Number: 20-Finance-UNEP-138017-R-Nairobi (X)
- Staffing Exercise N/A
Org. Setting and Reporting
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This position is located in UNEP, Corporate Services Division, Budget Unit in Nairobi. Under the direct supervision of the Head of Budget Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Reviews, analyses and finalizes the preparation of the medium-term strategy and its revisions on the basis of departmental submissions, taking into account recommendations and decisions of specialized intergovernmental bodies including UNEA and the General Assembly.
- Provides substantive support to relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies in their review of the medium-term strategy and its revisions; secures approval from UNEA and the General Assembly.
- Ensure legislative mandates are accurately translated into program budgets.
(NOTE:Are you feeling stuck in your career? Get FREE career and professional consultation, coaching and mentoring.Join us for the FREE Professional Development Training.We have limited space. Book your spot here.)
- Reviews, analyses and finalizes cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements from (a) the divisions and regional offices, including programmatic aspects; (b) ensure compliance with the medium-term strategy and other legislative mandates.
- Provides detailed input with respect to resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Reviews, analyzes and finalizes program budget/financial implications to the Security Council statements in light of additional mandates.
- Provides substantive support to relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies in their budget review; assists in securing approval from UNEA and the General Assembly.
- Lead the yearly allocation process for core financial resources and their deliberations through the Budget Steering Committee.
- Issues allotments, authorizes sub-allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary, ensuring appropriate expenditures.
- Manages and monitors budget implementation and recommends reallocation of funds as necessary.
- • Monitors expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized levels.
- • Administers and monitors extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
- • Administers and monitors extra-budgetary resources pertaining to Norway, Sida, and other corporate agreements as assigned by the Director of Corporate Services Division. Reviews draft agreements and cost plans, support the allocation of the yearly contributions, ensures allotments are recorded in the ERP system against approved projects and initiatives, monitor and follow up on expenditures including monthly review of outstanding commitments, timely closure of the associated grants, reporting the financial reports to the donors, while ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
- Reviews and makes appropriate recommendations with respect to the finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Prepare periodic and ad-hoc reports including monthly budget dashboard reports to senior management, Programme Performance Reports (PPR) to UNEP Senior Management as well as to the Committee of Permanent Representatives (CPR).
- Manage approved staffing table for Corporate Services Division, Executive Office, and Evaluation office.
- Prepare monthly post incumbency reports and update the positions’ cost distribution in Umoja Organization Management to ensure correct coding blocks are charged.
- Provides substantive support to relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
- Provides advice and guidance, including training, to headquarters and field staff on budgetary and financial policies and procedures, including results-based budgeting.
- Participates in inter-departmental meetings and/or technical survey missions on matters related to resource requirements, programming and budgetary issues.
- Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to program, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
- Drafts reports for intergovernmental bodies and for management on budgetary issues, and correspondence.
- Undertakes research and analysis of budgetary policies and procedures, makes recommendations for changes and/or modifications.
- Acts as Certifying Officer under Financial Rule 110.4 to ensure that proposed obligations and expenditures are in accordance with approved budgets and established regulations and rules.
- Ensures the integrity of financial and management systems and the controls that underpin them.
- May plan, organize, manage and supervise the work of the Unit/Section assigned.
- Incumbent may be asked to perform other related duties.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of financial and budgetary principles and practices, budget development and financial administration of resources. Ability to develop budgetary policies, procedures and new programmes. Ability to formulate new strategies and technical approaches to budgetary matters. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible work experience in finance, administration, budget, business administration or a related area, is required.
- Proven working experience with the Enterprise Resource Platform (ERP) systems, (e.g.,UMOJA) is required.
- Strong qualitative research and analytical skills are highly desirable.
- Experience with management reports and use of reports in Business Intelligence is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
How To Apply
- Click Here to Apply
How to Apply for a Job by Email in 2020 and Get The Job Interview