Ongoing Recruitment UN Jobs 2023
Submit your CV now
- Description of assignment title: Evaluation and Knowledge Management Specialist
- Assignment country: Kenya
- Expected start date: 07/07/2023
- Sustainable Development Goal: 17. Partnerships for the goals
- Volunteer category: International UN Volunteer Specialist
- DoA reserved for persons with disabilities: No
- Host entity: UNICEF
- Type: Onsite
- Duration: 16 months
- Number of assignments: 1
- Duty stations: Nairobi
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Mission and objectives
UNICEF, also known as the United Nations Children’s Fund, is a United Nations agency responsible for providing humanitarian and developmental aid to children worldwide. The agency is among the most widespread and recognizable social welfare organizations in the world, with a presence in 192 countries and territories. UNICEF’s activities include providing immunizations and disease prevention, administering treatment for children and mothers with HIV, enhancing childhood and maternal nutrition, improving sanitation, promoting education, and providing emergency relief in response to disasters.
In June 2018, UNICEF’s Executive Board approved the revised Evaluation Policy of UNICEF. This policy sets out the purpose and use of evaluation in UNICEF, provides definitions, norms, and standards, and outlines governance arrangements and accountabilities as well as performance standards for the evaluation function. It aims to increase the quality, independence, credibility, and utility of evaluation evidence for learning, decision-making, and accountability, which in turn support better results for children. One of the key accountabilities for UNICEF’s East and Southern Africa Regional Office (ESARO) is to provide support and oversight for quality assurance activities and evaluations. The revised Evaluation Policy demands an increase in coverage and quality of evaluations. To facilitate the successful implementation of the policy, ESARO is increasing its technical capacity to meet its accountabilities
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Evaluation Adviser, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks: 1. Strengthen the regional evaluation function. Support the implementation of the revised Regional Evaluation Framework and Action Plan in accordance with the UNICEF Evaluation Policy and build regional evaluation capacity.
- Monitor and report on the implementation of the Regional Evaluation Framework and Action Plan and its key indicators against targets.
- Support the implementation and update(s) of regional evaluation-related guidance notes on evaluation management and use, quality assurance, and national evaluation capacity development (NECD).
- Organize and plan regular regional evaluation network meetings with relevant colleagues at country, regional, and headquarter levels, focusing on regional priorities and key evaluation topics.
- Provide evaluation capacity development support at the country and regional levels, including the design and delivery of training curricula.
- Support the NECD activities and management of NECD-related partnerships (including the regional Programme Cooperation Agreement with CLEAR-AA) at country and regional levels.
- Support the development of, and maintain region-specific guidance on a range of topics, including Country Programme Evaluation terms of reference, and standard operating procedures for country offices on evaluation planning, management, quality assurance, and use.
- Support other tasks related to strengthening the regional evaluation function, including providing support to country offices and the regional office in increasing evaluability, evaluation coverage, evaluation quality, independence of the evaluation function in country offices, etc 2. Evaluation design, management, quality assurance, and use. Support the planning, management, and quality assurance of country-level, multi-country and regional evaluations, as assigned by the Regional Evaluation Adviser.
- Support evaluation planning, design, management, and use of specific evaluations (and evaluative work) of country offices.
- Support the quality assurance function of the Evaluation Section, reviewing terms of ref-erence, inception reports, and draft evaluation reports.
- Support the management of regional evaluations (and evaluative work), in accordance with the UNICEF Evaluation Policy and regional guidance notes on Evaluation Manage-ment and Use and Quality Assurance. 3. Regional knowledge management, peer support, and networking. Facilitate the sharing of, and learning from, evaluation-related lessons, conclusions and recommendations, and support knowledge exchanges on content and methods across and beyond arrange of regional stakeholders.
- Maintain and update the Evaluation page of UNICEF ESARO public website in Share-Point.
- Manage ESARO Evaluation Section’s SharePoint collaboration site and ensure the or-ganization of document libraries and their contents and the accessibility to relevant users.
- Provide knowledge sharing and knowledge management supports to country offices on evaluation-related topics and matters.
- Liaise with the Evaluation Office at headquarters on Evidence Information Systems Inte-gration (EISI) record keeping and related questions/issues.
- Support ESARO’s Evaluation Section’s engagement in and contribution to United Nations Network for Evaluation in Sub-Saharan Africa (UNNESSA).
- Develop knowledge products or organize knowledge sharing/peer learning events for different audiences on lessons, conclusions, and recommendations from country-specific, multi-country, and regional evaluations.
Age: 27 – 80
Nationality: Candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
4 years of experience in evaluation, research, and/or knowledge management/learning. Experience in conducting research and analysis on social and economic issues and in conducting meta-analyses or systematic reviews Demonstrated interest and skills in knowledge sharing, peer learning, and networking. Experience in working with multiple stakeholders at different levels – including government, civil society, and other development partners. Familiarity with the development context of Eastern and Southern African countries.
Area(s) of expertise: Development programmes
Languages: English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
- Master degree or equivalent in social sciences, statistics, international development or development economics
Competencies and values
Accountability Adaptability and Flexibility Commitment and Motivation Commitment to Continuous Learning Communication Creativity Ethics and Values Integrity Judgement and Decision-making Knowledge Sharing Planning and Organizing Professionalism Respect for Diversity Self-Management Technological Awareness Working in Teams
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot