- Job Opening ID: 221909
- Job Network : Management and Administration
- Job Family : Finance
- Duty Station : NAIROBI
- Department/Office : United Nations Environment Programme
- Date Posted : Nov 29, 2023
- Deadline : Dec 28, 2023
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
This post is in the Ecosystems Division, Programme of Work Finance Unit. Under the supervision of the Chief of Unit, the incumbent will perform the following functions:
- Provides support with respect to the review, analyses and preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions.
- Prepares supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements.
- Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Undertakes research and provides support to higher level Finance & Budget Officers with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
- Monitors expenditures and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary.
- Reviews requisitions for goods and services to ensure. a. Correct objects of expenditure have been charged, and b. Availability of funds.
- Assists in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures. • Monitors integrity of various financial databases. • Verifies accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data in previous allotments to new allotments issued. • Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports. • Periodic reconciliation of accounts (Umoja systems) • Prepare request to FMO on redeployment of funds and to UNON Finance section on movement of funds. • Act in putting exchange rates in Umoja System • Record in Umoja system inputs on direct disbursement and miscellaneous document • Review the monthly expenditures in Umoja and suggest to FMO adjustment as necessary • Review data on monthly staffing complement • Process fund distribution received from CSD and input allotment advice in Umoja System
- Identifies deposits in UNEP Treasury weekly reports.
- Files and archives as required.
- Keeps up to date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
- Drafts or prepares correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant financial and budget matters.
- Maintain and keep up-to-date files.
- May be responsible for providing guidance, training, and daily supervision to other general service staff in the area of responsibility.
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of, and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in the UN environment. Knowledge, skills and ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data across the full range of finance and budget functions, including programme development and database management, claims and treasury operations. Ability to perform analysis, modelling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Ability to identify and resolve data discrepancies and operational problems. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
TECHNOLOGICAL AWARENESS: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
- Relevant training in the field of accounting, finance and business administration is desirable.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in finance, budget, accounting, administrative services or related area is required.
- Experience working in grants management, funds management and financial management modules using an Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) system such as Umoja or other is required.
- Experience working with UN or similar international organization is desirable.
- Experience in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems especially focusing on the cleanup of receivables balances in the ERP System is desirable.
- One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
- NOTE: “Fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and “Knowledge of” equals a rating of “confident” in two of the four areas”.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot