- Description of assignment title: Finance Assistant- Nairobi Convention Secretariat
- Assignment country: Kenya
- Expected start date: 10/01/2023
- Sustainable Development Goal: 14. Life below water
- Volunteer category: National UN Volunteer Specialist
- Host entity: UNEP
- Type: Onsite
- Duration: 12 months (with possibility of extension)
- Number of assignments: 1
- Duty stations: Nairobi
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Mission and objectives
Since its inception in 1972, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has been the global authority that sets the environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, UNEP works through its divisions as well as regional, liaison and out-posted offices and a growing network of collaborating centres of excellence.
The Nairobi Convention Secretariat is the Regional Seas Convention for the Eastern and Southern Africa region administered by UNEP within the Division of Environmental Policy Implementation in UNEP responsible for the coordination, development and implementation of the Nairobi Convention’s Work Programme. The UNV will provide support in the management, monitoring and evaluation of the projects executed by the Nairobi Convention Secretariat by supporting the management of projects, in budgeting, accounting and administrative roles.
Under the direct supervision of the Head, Nairobi Convention Secretariat, the UNV will assist in the following tasks:
- Provide support with regard to the review, analysis, and preparation of the projects’ budgets and their revisions (periodic, completion, and closure).
- Prepare supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to GEF submissions and UNEP Programme of Work budget template.
- Assist in preparing contractual documents for projects partners including memos, small scale funding agreements, Project Cooperation Agreements, for their timely approval, etc.
- Assist in the preparation of travel requests for meeting participants, verify accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data with budget allocation and availability.
- Assist in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analyse variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Use UN ERP system to prepare periodic reconciliation of project accounts reports, monitor expenditures, and compare with approved budgets; prepare adjustments as necessary.
- Review incoming expenditure reports from project partners and upon certification by the program e officer, record expenditure in the UN ERP system, prepare payment request.
- Notify payees on status of payments.
- Assist fund management officers regarding queries on budget, payment, and deposit related issues and related correspondence.
- Support contract management for consultants and individual contractors (CIC), processing CIC and related payments.
- Maintain updated files and archives/databases as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned. Results/Expected Output:
- Accurate project finance data maintained.
- Provision of and liaison between financial and substantive transactions in support of the Nairobi Convention portfolio and all related partners.
Age: 27 – 80
Nationality: Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
3 years of experience in finance and accounting activities, business administration, or a related field at the national level. A progressively responsible work Experience in the use of Finance Enterprise systems is desirable. Experience with MS Office 2007 or newer versions, and financial management, using an electronic systems environment is desirable.
Area(s) of expertise: Economics and finance
Languages: English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Bachelor degree or equivalent in Finance, Commerce Economics or related field. Two years of qualifying experience as an Accountant CPAK, additional technical training in finance, accounting or administration is desirable.
Competencies and values: Communication Professionalism Team work Integrity Planning and organization
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot