Work with NGOs Starting Salary- Ksh 200k
NGOs Internships, Internships in Kenya
- Title of Post: PD Summer Intern
- Unit: Supply Chain, Port Operations
- Supervisor: Logistics Officer of Unit, Head of Office
- Duration: At least 3 months (May/June to August/September 2020)
- Closing Date: 12 February 2020
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We are currently seeking to fill for candidates to participate in the PD Summer Internship Programme 2020 in the Policy and Programme Department (PD).
The position will be based in the Port Operations / Supply Chain unit, Mombasa, Kenya. The internship will be typically for the period of at least 3 months during May/June to August/ September 2020.
Brief description of WFP activities in Port Operations/Supply Chain Unit in Mombasa, Kenya
(NOTE: Not sure where to get started on your cover letter? Check our NEWLY UPDATED cover letter template for NGOs for FREE! You can copy and paste this proven sample to create a lasting impression and get invited to the interview right away. Get it here.)
Mombasa Port is the main port of entry in Kenya and main HUB for WFP operations in the Region with a turnover of over 300,000MT foods and non-foods items per year. WFP Mombasa is responsible for handling arrivals of containerized cargo and charter vessels supporting the landlocked countries and Kenya operations.
The Mombasa Office is very operational and dynamic, involving warehouse management / land transport, port clearances activities and vessel discharge operations. We are looking for young talented individuals with an interest in supply chain and port operations. The intern will be supervised by the head of the office providing training in shipping activities, warehousing management and logistics in general.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of a logistics officer of the unit, the PD Summer Intern will perform the following duties:
- Update weekly reports, including maintaining our Tableau Dashboard
- Assist the various teams in our internal business processes, Warehousing, Transport, Shipping
- Manage WFP’s container tracing system during vessel discharge
- Provide a daily warehouse assessment using the mobile APP
- Coordinate and organize workshops for service provision
- Participate in the in-house trainings on the various supply chain subjects
- Perform other related duties as required
Qualifications and experience
- Currently enrolled in a master’s degree programme OR a recent graduate of a master’s degree (graduated within the last 6 months
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher, Outlook)
- Excellent English verbal and writing skills
- Excellent IT skills / dashboards / mobile APPs
- Interpersonal Skills
Working knowledge of English (proficiency/level C) is required.
(NOTE:Are you feeling stuck in your career? Get FREE career and professional consultation, coaching and mentoring.Join us for the FREE Professional Development Training.We have limited space. Book your spot here.)
Supervision (Level/Methods of Supervision)
Under the direct supervision of a Logistics Officer of Unit, the incumbent will be provided with close mentoring, guidance and technical supervision. Performance planning and reviews as well as learning and development discussions will be elemental part of the supervision. Head of Office will be the second-level supervisor. With the support of a comprehensive induction package and assignment of a buddy/mentor, the intern will rapidly become a productive member of the team.
Throughout their assignment WFP interns have access to an industry leading learning platform, WeLearn. Depending on opportunities and availability of funds, he/she may participate in WFP workshops or seminars, as appropriate.
At the end of the assignment, the Intern should have:
- Results-based skills in supply chain activities, port operations and warehouse management
- Good knowledge in modernizing our internal processes, Dashboard implemented, mobile APP and Transport Allocations tool concluded
- Understanding in Shipping / Maritime industry
- Skills in planning, coordination and partnering both with the internal and external stakeholders
- Integration and more service provision
- General understanding of WFP overall operations
Information on the Country of Assignment
- Living conditions in Mombasa, Kenya
Mombasa is a coastal city of Kenya along the Indian Ocean. It is Kenya’s second largest city and has an extra-large port and an international airport. The city remains one of the most popular tourist destinations in Kenya and is also usually frequented by UN personnel for both work and holiday. The area’s security remains generally stable.
In general, Mombasa records highs of 88°F (31°C) and lows of 80°F (26°C), representing a very small range. This explains why it is hot for most parts of the year. It would therefore be advisable to bring light clothing. The area is also prone to tropical diseases such as Malaria, Dengue Fever therefore staff are advised to used mosquito repellents and sleep inside a treated mosquito net.
- Other relevant information
The local currency Kenya is the Kenyan shilling (KES) divided into 100 cents. Coins are of 50 cents and of KES 1, 5, 10, 20 and 40. Notes are of KES 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1000. The exchange rate averages KES 100.00 to US$ 1.
Terms and Conditions:
- The PD intern will be paid a monthly stipend of approximately USD 700 per month as a contribution towards basic subsistence costs.
- WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, necessary visas and related costs.
- WFP will reimburse travel ticket for candidates who are nationals of developing countries and are pursuing their studies in their home country.
- WFP will recognize candidates’ educational credentials from recognised institutions that have been certified by competent international or national authorities such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) or Ministries of Education.
- Candidates who bear any of the following relations to WFP staff members are not eligible to apply: sons, daughters, brothers or sisters.
Click Here to Apply