Medical jobs,Healthcare jobs, Clinical officer, Nursing jobs,
- Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiary’s health conditions.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits , consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctorsand informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
- MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Use appropriate personal and protective equipment (PPEs) provided by the facility while in the clinical setting and also when attending to patients.
- Ensure proper triaging, timely consultation and intervention of patients in the clinical setting where the officer is designated to work (ER or wards).
- Ensure activities in the reproductive health and newborn unit are organized. Support / collaborate with the midwife in charge of department in the management of obstetric emergencies or other obstetric problems.
- Responsible of the care and treatment of pregnant mothers(including ANC-PNC-FP high risk clinic ) ,Gynaecological patients and neonates in NBU and maternity ward by ensuring Daily ward rounds & routine reviews in Maternity ward and NBU is done.
- Perform basic procedures like MVA, assist the nurses during difficult deliveries, perform C/S as soon as it is necessary etc.
- In coordination with the maternity supervisor, conduct the High-risk clinic and ensure a follow up strategy is in place with the outreach team CHW / TBA s visits all High-risk mothers and remind them of the danger signs.
- Ensure on the job training of Clinical officers and ANC-RH working in the department on management of pregnancy complications, neonatal care and conduct CME at least once in a month in collaboration with hospital director &/Nursing activity manager.
- Examine and treat all SGBV cases in a confidential manner and be responsible for the P3 forms for the SGBV cases.
- Actively participate in the project’s quality of care activities such as CMEs, case reviews, Mortality audits & rational prescription audits.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Medical Doctor Degree
- 2 years’ experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training).
- Desirable in tropical medicine, or post-registration experience in Public Health, obs and gynae, pediatrics, A, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, general medicine or minor surgery.
- Mission language essential (English).
- Local language desirable (Kiswahili, Somali).
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel)
- Organizing and ensuring medical consultations to the target population providing treatment to patients within the scope of his/her medical competencies and referring them when appropriate, according to MSF protocols, procedures and the universal hygiene standards in order to guarantee quality and efficiency of the service provided.
- Ensuring the implementation and standardization of MSF clinical protocols, tools, and hygiene protocols in order to minimize clinical risks and to guarantee the quality of patient care management. Promoting and maintaining confidentiality regarding all patient cases and records
- Implementing proper physical examination, diagnosis, prescription and prevention procedures that fall under the scope of his/her competencies applying medical knowledge, asking appropriate questions to patients and following protocols in force as well as using laboratory services when necessary, in order to ensure correct diagnosis, appropriate medical treatments and to refer patients when appropriate.
- Participating in the planning and supervision, in close coordination with other supervisors, the HR processes (sizing, staff shifts, recruitment, training, evaluation, development and communication) of the team in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required, improve people triage capabilities, their motivation and commitment and their active participation in teaching the targeted population on therapeutic and preventive protocols.
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- In cases of emergency, carrying out first aid care and treatment according to protocols in order to reduce mortality rates
- Recording in the individual patient’s card and registration books, all performed medical activities (drugs prescribed, lab results, vaccination status, epidemiological activity, doses, etc.) keeping data traceability in order to ensure patients treatment continuity.
- Participating in data collection and reporting when required.
- Knowing and implementing Patient Therapeutic Education (PTE), i.e. keeping contact with all patients, providing them information regarding their health state and responding to their questions.
- Knowing and promoting the proper application of Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit and Sexually Gender Based Violence (SGBV) protocol
- MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Use appropriate personal and protective equipment (PPEs) provided by the facility while in the clinical setting and when attending to patients.
- Ensure proper triaging and timely consultation of patients in the clinical setting (health post, ER, OPD or ward) giving priority and prompt attention to patients in critical state first. Seek the support of the doctor assigned to department for review of challenging or severely sick patients.
- Ensure all patients under-5 years (or less than 60months) old are consulted using the eCARE system in the health post
- Ensure all patients sent to ER for admission (or directly to the isolation ward, in the case of an epidemic or pandemic) meet the admission criteria; good information and proper health education is provided to all patients to enhance adherence
- Actively participate in the project’s quality of care activities such as CMEs, morbidity reviews, Mortality audits & rational prescription audits.
- Emergency preparedness team member: attend to any mass emergency in the project area. Notify the Hospital director/project medical referent whenever a mass casualty arrives at the ER or is anticipated to arrive.
- Offer clinical support & on job training for other clinicians, nursing team members in collaboration with the Hospital Director/departments Doctor/nursing team supervisor /MAM. Actively participate in disease surveillance and reporting by ensuring timely reporting of diseases of outbreak potential or any abnormal disease pattern.
- Ensure all patients seen in ER, OPD are timely tallied i.e. OPD patients are tallied in morbidity tally sheets while those admitted are tallied in the admission tally sheets.
- Perform minor procedures such as stitching for small cut wounds, exploration of foreign bodies which can be done under local anesthesia in ER.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
- Essential Clinical officer diploma
- Desirable previous clinical supervision experience of at least one year,
- Essential, 2 years of relevant working experience
- Essential Mission ( English) language.
- Local language knowledge ( Somali) would be an asset
- Desirable computer literacy
- Results and Quality Orientation L2
- Teamwork and Cooperation L2
- Behavioural Flexibility L2
- Commitment to MSF Principles L2
- Stress Management L3
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment. Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Identifying Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the medical team so they can receive the necessary treatment. Knowing and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort. For ER and OPD nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary
- Sending material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed.
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Fol-lowing the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures
- MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Participate in the hospital platforms, departmental meetings, quality control activities like death audits, case reviews, prescription audits etc.
- Ensure the registration of day to day consumption according as per procedure in place including proper cold chain management and maintenance in the department.
- EPREP team member: Assist in response to emergencies within the project or as required.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Essential recognized nurse degree/diploma
- Desirable 2 years of previous experience and previous experience in other NGO’s.
- Mission language essential. Local language desirable.
- Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service
- Provide obstetrical care to pregnant women and their babies, doing follow up before, during and after delivery, according to MSF obstetrical and reproductive health protocols, universal hygienic and newborn caring standards and under supervision of a specialist doctor, in order to ensure their health conditions and avoid post-delivery complications.
- Ensuring the implementation and continuity of antenatal and postnatal care, family planning, obstetrical care (BEmONC 1 and CEmONC 2), neonatal and comprehensive abortion care, management of victims of sexual violence, reproductive tract infections and Fistula care in accordance with MSF Reproductive Core Package of Activities and reinforce the implementation of standardised protocols.
- Where PMTCT is implemented, ensuring implementation of the PMTCT protocol in the ANC/delivery and PNC consultations (pre counselling, test and post counselling
- Collaborating with the medical doctor and /or nurse in the management of Sexual Violence cases
- Assessing the feasibility for referral of pregnant women form the TBAs to the OPD/MCH for medical evaluation and/or complicated deliveries.
- Ensuring hygiene and sterilization criteria (including universal precautions) are met according to MSF specifications.
- Performing cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Guaranteeing a regular and ongoing supply of drugs and equipment required for maternity activities (including monitoring/consumption control/ordering of orders.
- Properly following up all newborn babies from delivery until discharge, informing mothers and relatives about importance of breast feeding, vaccination and possible complications resulting from harmful traditional practices.
- Ensuring patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality is respected
- Supervising that administrative procedures of admissions and hospitalizations comply with MSF protocols , as well as verify patients are properly informed and receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card, etc
- Participatingin the organisation of the ward in collaboration with other midwifes and the maternity ward supervisor. Ensure transfer of relevant information to the next shift team (specially identifying risk cases)
- According to MSF protocols in force, conduct normal deliveries independently Manage obstetric emergencies; identify cases needing referral and send them in time, clean up the newborn, executing and registering first neo-natal medical acts (cutting and cleaning the umbilical cord, vaccination, etc.), detecting possible anomalies/infections of the newborn and reporting them to the doctor, in order to ensure successful interventionsSupervises the use of drugs, facilities and obstetric material, in order to ensure, in accordance with number of patients and prescriptions, a rational use as well as pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated, kept under appropriate conditions and above minimum safety point. 1 BEmONC = basic emergency obstetric and neonatal care = Administration of antibiotics, oxytocics, anticonvulsants, manual removal of the placenta, removal of retained products following abortion, assisted vaginal delivery, preferably with vacuum extractor and newborn care including neonatal resuscitation. 2 CEmONC = comprehensive obstetric and neonatal care = the full package of BEmONC Plus; surgery (caesarean section, hysterectomy, laparatomy), safe blood transfusion and care to sick and low birth weight newborns
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Compensate (or make sure that someone can compensate in the right way) patient lack of autonomy especially regarding feeding, personal hygiene, movements and their comfort.
- Leads sensitization activities and health talks
- Carry out when necessary a therapeutic education of the patient (and family) using a patient based approach.
- Ensure that routine laboratory tests are performed, interprete the results and adapt the approach if necessary
- Participate actively in the monitoring and the reporting of medical activities (correctly fill in patient files, forms, statistics, HIS reports) and propose analysis of these statistics.
- Identify high risk client antenatal and postnatal and refer them to high risk clinic or maternity for management and monitoring. Educate, inform and book high risk client for review at high risk clinic on discharge from Maternity ward.
- On discharge, educate patients; advise mothers on useful topics for their home return; breastfeeding, emergency signs of post-partum complications, family planning (importance of child spacing)
- Ensure the patient’s correct understanding of possible treatment
- Verify that the patient has received the documents: birth certificate, vaccination card, etc
- Essential Diploma in Kenya registered community health Nursing (KRCHN). Desired Bachelor in Nursing.
- Essential working experience of at least two years in midwife activities related jobs.
- Experience with other NGOs and/or MSF is an asset
- Essential, mission language; local working language would be an asset.