Healthcare jobs, Nursing jobs, Aga Khan jobs,
Anaesthetic Assistant, Operating Room
Applications are invited from qualified candidates for the above position based in Nairobi Kenya. The position holder will report to the Nursing Manager, OR/Theatre.
- Setup, test and calibrate physiological monitors and equipment such as anesthesia machines, airway devices, physiological monitors, infusion devices, nerve stimulators, patient/fluid warming devices and fiber optic bronchoscopes.
- Perform equipment checks as indicated and maintain records of problems
- Replace and change anesthetic equipment supplies as per routine schedule
- Maintain a stock of drug supplies at anesthesia workstations.
- Troubleshoot anesthetic equipment
- Correct problems that have been discovered and follow up with the theatre manager, the biomedical technician/engineers, and manufacturer’s service representative.
- Participate in operating theatre’s infection control program.
- Performing duties such as maintaining cleanliness of anesthetic equipment in accordance with quality assurance programs.
- Assist with the setting up of the physiological monitors such as ECG, Pulse oximetry and non-invasive blood pressure (NIBP).
- Assist the anesthesiologist with the insertion of peripheral venous lines, arterial lines, central venous catheters and pulmonary artery catheters.
- Adjust therapies (e.g. Ventilation, temperature control devices, fluid flow rates etc.) as directed by the anesthesiologist.
- In liaison with the circulating nurse, provide diagnostic data for the anesthesiologist by performing random blood sugar sampling and arterial blood gas sampling as requested.
- Arrange for transportation of emergency blood samples to the lab and collection of blood products from the blood bank.
- Assist at anesthetic emergency by performing duties such as aspirating secretions from the trachea and pharynx, deflating airways cuffs, and provide emergency airway equipment. Remove monitoring equipment after surgery.
- Assist with the transfer of post operative patients to the Post Anesthetic Care Unit (PACU) under the direction of the anesthesiologist, surgeon and nurse.
- Assist with the transfer of ventilation and/or anesthetized patient to the intensive care or high dependency unit under the direction of the anesthesiologist, surgeon and nurse.
- Diploma/ Equivalent Required or Completion of Anesthesia Assistant Course
- In service Course on Basic Nursing skills and Anesthesia
- Certificate in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in the Theatre is preferred.