NGO jobs, Project Management jobs,
Country Director – Kenya
- The Country Director – Kenya shall have deep experience and knowledge of various donors as well as agricultural value chain development. This position requires experience working in a highly competitive donor environment. The Country Director – Kenya is the national-level representative of Heifer International in their respective country. This position will report to the Africa Regional Senior Vice President.
- New business development is the main function of this position. This position is responsible for building relationships and providing strategic direction to grow a strong portfolio of funding and programs. The Country Director – Kenya will work closely with the Africa Regional team and new business development teams to develop and implement country specific and cross region new business strategies by aligning Heifer’s programmatic priorities with funder priorities.
- This position will serve as Heifer’s chief brand ambassador in the country. The Country Director – Kenya will represent Heifer in strategic forums to ensure Heifer carries strong brand recognition within the country. As a brand ambassador, this position will drive impactful strategic brand communication cantered on effective strategies that will increase Heifer’s profile and visibility.
- Ability and willingness to adopt the inverted Organogram, challenging the traditional model of leadership. The successful candidate must be ready to shift the decision-making power to the front-line staff, and to be consistent in doing so.
Essential Character Traits
- Ability to apply a strategic mindset, business insight and organizational savvy to drive results in complex environments. Ability to collaborate, communicate effectively, instil trust and demonstrate self-awareness. Ability to build effective teams and to be resourceful. Ability to provide effective leadership and drive team spirit.
Responsibilities & Deliverables
BRAND AMBASSADOR (20%)
- Facilitate the increased visibility of Heifer amidst the larger public including government officials, corporations, institutions, non-governmental organizations, and other development agencies in the country.Represent Heifer International before all persons and organizations at the country level, government, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), private sector, donors, and partners.
- Educate others about Heifer’s brand and positively always promote the brand.
- Thoroughly understand Heifer’s value proposition and tailor messages for individual audiences.
- Demonstrate an aptitude for creativity and innovation.
- Position Heifer as one of the thought leaders on thematic issues (i.e. livestock, agriculture, livelihoods, women, and youth).
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT and STRATEGY (60%)
- Lead the process of strategic visioning for Heifer International at the country level under the Africa Regional priorities.
- Form strategic partnerships that embrace the triple bottom line (social, environmental, and financial).
- Strengthen strategic alliances and partnerships (Public & Private) with all program stakeholders’ donors, and supporters.
- In collaboration with the New Business Development Teams, ensure the development and implementation of new business strategies with full landscape analysis.
- Keep abreast of funder priorities in the region.
- Establish solid knowledge of the government’s and donor’s development strategies for the country.
- Contribute to the proposal process to ensure adequate information is provided to build winning proposals.
- In partnership with signature program leaders work to identify and deploy capital investments across the signature programs.
- Build and maintain strong relationships among partner organizations and expand strategic networks and partnerships at local, country, and international level.
- Drive the development of Heifer Kenya’s strategic framework on Access to Finance.
- Provide technical and strategic support to broaden access to agribusiness finance in Heifer Kenya to finance Kenya Accelerator Programs.
- Work with Heifer Impact Capital (HIC) and other critical stakeholders (development partners, equity investors, etc) to drive Access to Finance for Heifer Kenya.
OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE AND LEADERSHIP (15%)
- Remain knowledgeable of and commission market-based demand driven value chain studies to build out signature programs within the country.
- Maintain, cultivate, and grow a strong signature program portfolio.
- Work with signature program leaders to ensure quality delivery of Heifer’s model.
- Systematically identify viable value chain opportunities
- Fosters a sense of connection and belonging.
- Shows openness to new ideas and fosters organizational learning.
- Maintain country level requirements for Heifer’s legal operation.
- Provide sound operational and fiscal management.
MAY PERFORM OTHER JOB-RELATED DUTIES AS ASSIGNED (5%)
- Master’s Degree from a recognized university or equivalent in Social Sciences or Business Administration, plus 15 years of relevant experience with at least ten (10) years in a supervisory capacity.
- Fluent in English and local language/s, both spoken and written.
- Demonstrated knowledge of major funders such as USAID, DFID, IFAD, AFDB, FAO, etc.
- Proven professional experience & results in agribusiness/community development.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Proven knowledge of new business development strategies
- Inspires and motivates others to take action.
- Aligns resources to accomplish key objectives and assigns clear accountability for important objectives. Achieves meaningful accomplishments.
- Ability to support differences of opinion, and help individuals constructively resolve conflict.
- Proven experience in development actions under the following or related themes: Food Security and Nutrition, Environment, Women and Youth Empowerment
- Knowledge of NGO regulatory environment in country of employment
- Knowledge of and skill in managing institutional and project budgets.
- Existing relationships with potential partners in Agri-business in country.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Familiarity with and experience in responding to requests for applications/proposals (RFA/RFP), call for proposals, indefinite quantity contracts and task orders.
- Excellent networking and negotiation skills.
- Public speaking skills.
- Skills with Microsoft Office package, internet browser, and other appropriate technology.
- Good understanding of and sensitivity to poverty, social and ethnic issues.
- Understand the importance of traditional customs to various ethnic issue.
- An excellent team player with the ability to work with diverse cultural groups.
Essential Job Functions And Physical Demands
- Unify a group of individuals behind a commonly shared vision.
- Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision.
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the public.
- Constant sitting, standing, and walking, with occasional bending and lifting; may work at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Occasional lifting and carrying of up to 30 pounds (14 kilograms) floor to waist.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively, both locally and internationally.
- Ability to meet and deal with others in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and to maintain confidentiality.