Data Science jobs, Data Analysis jobs, UN jobs,
National Information Management Officer (Data Analyst)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
This position is located in the team of the Senior Human Rights Adviser (SHRA) to the United Nations Resident Coordinator for Kenya and is based in Nairobi. The National Information Management Officer reports to the SHRA and works in close collaboration with staff of OHCHR and other UN agencies to exchange information and data, to support a human rights-based approach to programming and service delivery.
Under the supervision of and in close coordination with the SHRA, the Information Management Officer will be responsible for identifying, collecting, collating, and presenting information and data, to support the SHRA’s mandate to assist national actors to comply with human rights obligations under international law and strengthen the capacity of the UNCT in Kenya to integrate human rights in their programmes and policies.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Identification of Data Sources and Collection and Analysis of Data
- This entails identification of data sources, and collection, compilation and analysis of data required to produce quality information products for advisory purposes, strategic planning and decision-making.
- Design and Management of Data/Information Collection Plans and Systems
- This involves designing and managing data/information collection plans, performing data quality and consistency control, identifying appropriate data sources for analytics projects, engaging with data providers to support information flow; and developing and implementing databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies to collect, compile and manage relevant data, and that optimize statistical efficiency and quality. It also involves researching, analyzing and evaluating new and innovative applications of information technology to data and information management and making recommendations for their deployment.
- Support Implementation of a Human Rights-Based Approach to Data
- This entails engaging with national partners and UNCT entities to support inclusive data practices, and implementation of a human rights-based approach to data.
- Use Data to Produce Analysis and Information Products
- This involves facilitating the production of periodic human rights and risk analyses drawing on all relevant information available within the UNCT and from partners and other sources, providing ad-hoc analysis (including of open source data) to support thematic research and reporting on human rights issues, assisting in the identification of data sets and indicators to monitor progress against human rights commitments and implementation of recommendations of human rights mechanisms, producing and updating information products (e.g. reports, charts, infographics and maps) by turning data into graphical products to convey messages and analysis, and developing materials including one-pagers, presentations and other visual materials to support the presentation of analysis and research.
- Geographic Data Management and Map Production
- This entails utilizing Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for map production and geographic data management while promoting data standards and harmonized management of geographic data/information. It also involves ensuring the collection and management of data for GIS use is integrated in information-gathering methodologies, tools and databases.
- Coordination and Collaboration with UN counterparts
- This involves coordinating and collaborating with information management personnel of other UN entities in-country to improve information management and sharing procedures, developing information sharing protocols, and promoting data and information sharing with UN counterparts.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively:-LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously:-LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility :-LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner:-LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion:-LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Business Management-Communication Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Business Management-Digital Awareness and Literacy-Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Digital &Innovation-Data Analysis-Ability to extract, analyse and visualize data (including Real-Time Data) to form meaningful insights and aid effective decision making
- Digital & Innovation-Data Collection-Being skilled in Data Sorting, Data Cleaning, Survey Administration, Presentation and Reporting including collection of Real-Time Data (e.g. mobile data, satellite data, and sensor data).
- Digital & Innovation-Co-creation-Enables a diverse group of stakeholders to solve a common problem, develop a practice, or create knowledge together.
- Ability to embrace diversity, work with a diverse group of stakeholders understand their interests, perspectives and views and tap into to them as a source for creativity.
- Ability to facilitate processes and create conditions that are open for diverse inputs, stimulate collaboration and sharing.
- Digital & Innovation-Data Story Telling and Communication-Skilled in building a narrative around a set of data and its accompanying visualizations to help convey the meaning of that data in a powerful and compelling fashion.
- Professionalism: Excellent analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, manage, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy. Ability to analyze, model and interpret data in support of decision-making, and convey information succinctly to management. Ability to collate and present information in easily digestible tables, charts, maps and graphs and deliver reliable, accessible and user-friendly, relevant and timely information products. Experience handling confidential data and demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows a willingness to learn new technology.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) data science, analytics, statistics, information management or a related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with additional qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 2 years with an advanced university degree, or 4 years with a first-level degree, of progressively responsible experience in Information Management, information systems, data management, statistics, geographic information systems & mapping, and/or data visualization, is required.
- Experience collecting and managing datasets is required.
- In-depth knowledge of industry statistical and graphics design software, including but not limited to Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, PowerBI and Tableau, is required.
- Proven experience with the Microsoft 365 Suite – Dataverse, Power Automate, and Power Apps – is desirable.
- Experience working on human rights issues is desirable, including human rights within the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of one or more local languages is desirable.