UN jobs, Communications, Media jobs, Data jobs, Business Analysis jobs,
Index Development Project Consultant
Duties and Responsibilities
- The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially, economically, and environmentally sustainable cities, towns and other human settlements. It is the focal point for urbanization and human settlements matters within the UN system. As part of UN-Habitat’s efforts to provide technical support to countries worldwide for efficient monitoring and reporting on urban development agendas, the Data and Analytics Unit (DAU – formerly known as Global Urban Observatory (GUO) under the Knowledge and Innovation branch, is currently leading SDG 11 and the NUA monitoring at the global level. This task involves development of methodologies which are globally applicable and adaptable to the country level for urban data generation, their piloting, building the capacity of countries to use these methods and undertake continuous reporting on the urban related indicators, and supporting countries and cities to generate accurate and up to date data which is used for national and global reporting on the progress towards sustainable cities and human settlements.
- In line with UN-Habitat’s mandate, DAU is working to a) Improve the capacity of countries and cities to access relevant information, setting global standards in the design analysis and collection of urban data, and supports the translation of data/information into policy formulation; b) Guide methodological developments of the urban related indicators and targets used by the international development community to monitor global progress towards implementation of the NUA and the urban SDGs; c) Improve worldwide urban knowledge base by supporting governments, local authorities and civil societies in the development and application of policy-oriented urban indicators, statistics and other urban information. The unit plays a vital role in developing the Global Urban Monitoring Framework (UMF) with the internal and external experts. The consultant will be involved in the development of the SAI and support the technical discussions, research and analyses of the SAI, including developing the framework of the Index, refining the indicators, developing the methodology of calculating the Index, selection pilot cities, coordinating data collection, facilitating the testing of the draft SAI, drafting related reports, etc. The consultant will also be responsible for the coordination between the Data and Analytics Unit, the data experts and related internal UN-Habitat stakeholders and external donors and partners. In addition, the consultant will also organize SAI Events on WUF12,including event application, drafting session agenda, coordinating speakers and guests invitation and event implementation. The consultant will also support on organizing and producing reports of other relevant workshops, experts group meetings, technical exchange as well as communications and publicity events.
The Index development project consultant will work in the Knowledge and Innovation Branch, under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Data and Analytics Unit. She/he will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Implement 2023 workplan and draft the work plan for 2024 of the UMF – Shanghai Adapted Index and facilitate the implementation of the work plan according to the proposed timeline.
- Advice (Guide) the development of the draft UMF – Shanghai Adapted Index methodology, including conducting research and analyses on and for the Index, providing inputs to the technical discussions and assisting with the drafting of the technical documents.
- Work together with the data experts to collect data, process and test the UMF – Shanghai Adapted Index in selected pilot cities.
- Facilitate the technical exchange between the UN-Habitat team on UMF – Shanghai Adapted Index and the Chinese partners team.
- Coordinate the collaboration between the UN-Habitat team and other internal and external stakeholders, including UN-Habitat Regional Programme Division and the Chinese counterparts.
- Coordinate the research on the potential interlinked activities between UMF – Shanghai Adapted Index and Shanghai Award and SDG Cities Flagship Programme, etc.
- Organize SAI event on WCD 2023, and also other relevant workshops, expert group meetings, knowledge exchange, promotion and publicity events related to UMF – Shanghai Adapted Index.
- Contribute to the connection of the work of the Data and Analytics Unit with the timely implementation of the UMF- Shanghai Adapted Index.
- Jointing and contribution to drafting and finalizing the Research report
- Provide the support for UMF team based on the assignment of request of supervisor.
- A master’s degree in urban studies, statistics, mathematics, demography, economics, actuarial sciences, environmental sciences, monitoring and evaluation, or any other closely related field is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive work experience in data analytics, indices, development of methodologies for measurement frameworks, research on a broad range of urban and human settlements issues or any closely related area is required.
- Familiarity of the UN system, including experience working in international settings is desirable.
- Some level of knowledge of and experience working with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) or the New Urban Agenda is highly desirable.
- Previous work experience in organizing technical workshops or publicity events is desirable
- Proven experience in working in teams, creativity, taking responsibility for project completion, delivering under tight deadlines is desirable.
- For this consultancy, fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in Chinese Mandarin is highly desired. Although not a requirement, knowledge of any other UN language will be an advantage.
Advocacy Support Consultant
Duties and Responsibilities
- The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable human settlements development and the achievement of adequate shelter for all. For close to forty years, UN-Habitat has been working in human settlements throughout the world, focusing on building a brighter future for villages, towns, and cities of all sizes. The Urban Practices Branch of UN-Habitat supports countries in developing urban planning methods and systems that address current urbanization challenges. It promotes urban planning approaches to address rapid urban growth and urban transformation processes in countries with rapid urbanization and where cities face a backlog of services and housing.
- In response to increasing global trends of migration of refugees, and the lack of adequate provision of infrastructure and spatial planning strategies, UN-Habitat is undertaking many projects within the region and externally to provide normative, tool development, programme support, and visibility considering such issues, of which the consultant will contribute to.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Humanitarian Development Programme Management Officers within the Planning Finance and Economy section, of the Urban Practices Branch. The purpose of this consultancy is to deliver specific activities related to the engagement of UN-Habitat’s SDG localization and local governments team and humanitarian development practice
These includes the following tasks;
- Facilitate the overall preparation of the strategic report for humanitarian development practice
- Facilitate discussions across PFES teams on migration, voluntary local reviews and SDGs
- Produce advocacy and communication material for humanitarian development practice
- Produce the strategic report for humanitarian development practice
- 1st level university degree in Public Affairs, Political Science, Social Sciences, Urban Studies Social Sciences, Communications, Development Studies, or other relevant areas is required.
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience in advocacy engagement, preferably on issues related to sustainable development, local and urban development, and international cooperation is required
- Experience in the organization of events and workshops is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required for this specific consultancy. Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.