NGO jobs, UN jobs, ICT jobs, Internships jobs, Volunteering jobs,
Intern – IT Database Development Specialist (3 Positions), I
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background, the interns’ assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Coordinator, the intern will:
- Assist in the development of a multi-functional database system allowing for online collection, storage, retrieval, management and quick usage of programmes and activities data such as countries updates, regional pipeline reports, and projects implementation summaries needed for further
- generation of knowledge, programming, monitoring and reporting.
- Design a user-friendly online matrix for programme’s integration with specific components for assembled by categories (mainly thematic, regional, and others) compiling for aggregation and further use where and whenever applicable. The matrix or its elements should provide living tools allowing for easy administration of selected data, by means key words, needed for substantive trends analysis and reporting.
- Perform training sessions to familiarize colleagues and programme managers of RPD at HQ and regional and country levels with the new databases and to demonstrate their value-added to improving the current practice of inputs and information collection, compilation and management for a better coordination of UN-Habitat’s country activities and reports.
- Support planning, implementation and reporting on activities recorded in the database, e.g. preparation of legislative sessions and outreach events, development and maintenance of information and knowledge generated, and monitoring.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Have graduated with Bachelor’s degree, Masters, PhD or equivalent
- Be computer literate in standard software applications (Microsoft Office).
- Have demonstrated a keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes a willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Preferred areas of studies:
- Computer Science, Information technology or another related field, e.g. mathematics, urban geography, science and engineering.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- Experience in developing and managing/maintaining a multi-purpose database for the collection, analysis and aggregation of projects implementation data and reporting updates is required.
- Knowledge in organizing a series of online trainings sessions for outposted project managers to familiarize them with the new database and its integrated components for data population and compilation is desirable.