Business Analysis Job, program design and implementation, International Rescue Jobs,
Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) Coordinator
Working under the supervision and guidance of the Deputy Director Programs (IRC Kenya), and technical support from WPE Technical Advisor, the WPE Coordinator will be part of the country management. The Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) Program Coordinator is the senior most technical and program expert on WPE within the Kenya program. The position is responsible for providing overall leadership in advancing the implementation of Strategic Action Plan (SAP), guidance, coordination, and technical support to IRC’s WPE and gender programs throughout Kenya.
The WPE Coordinator will provide regular technical support and field-based monitoring visits to WPE teams to ensure that all interventions are technically sound, consider international best practices, and are appropriately meeting the needs of survivors in target communities. S/He will be required to work in collaboration with other technical coordinators, the Grants, Operations and Finance teams and field teams to ensure that the program activities are implemented according to approved plans, the IRC Kenya WPE sector strategy, the country program strategic plan and in accordance with the IRC program framework. The WPE coordinator is responsible for ensuring a robust program that is evidence driven through research and reflection and continuously exploring opportunities for growth and sustenance of women protection and advancement programs.
- Lead the WPE team in program design and implementation process and effectively translate program objectives and strategies into high quality inputs and activities in IRC current and future programme operations.
- In collaboration with program managers, revise plans and budgets to maintain program quality and progress; work with the Deputy Director of Grants and Accountability to ensure all program activities are implemented in compliance with donor requirements and meet the measurement requirements of IRC and donors.
- Provide leadership and direction on integration of WPE activities with other sectors including, but not limited to, Nutrition, Health, Livelihoods, Child Protection; work with relevant stakeholders to conduct operational research and document and disseminate lessons learnt.
- Work with the program teams to ensure that field experiences are documented and used to advocate on behalf of the communities with which we work.
Technical monitoring and Program Quality:
- Promote the quality of the IRC’s WPE programs by setting up quality assurance mechanisms and providing technical supervision of prograrm staff, and technical support to IRC Kenya programming activities.
- Ensure that all activities are consistent with established best practices and utilize standardized protocols, policies, and guidelines, as outlined by relevant health institutions and statutory bodies.
- Ensure that the stated goals and objectives of all WPE programme are met with strong monitoring and evaluation (M&E) follow up, including any required operational research, with technical support from the Country Technical Advisors for health and nutrition as needed.
- Participate in the design of robust M&E plans, lead technical assessments, design/adapt health information systems including surveillance systems as a basis for primary health care program development.
- Contributes to the development of any revision of the WPE strategy planning and documentation, in consultation with the technical unit.
- Ensure that ethical and sound data collection and information management systems are in place with associated information sharing protocols for GBV analysis, planning, evaluation, and advocacy. Provides technical guidance on confidential and safe data collection, case identification, safe information sharing and referral mechanisms in line with internationally recognized best practices..
- Support to improve quality of specialized services available in country in addition to contributing to the standardization of WPE protocols, referral pathways and SOP’s.
Strategy and Business Development
- Proactively look for funding opportunities for WPE and Gender related programming in Kenya, lead in development of quality proposals and review donor reports in collaboration with Program Managers, other Technical Coordinators, and the Technical Advisors.
- Develop strategic partnerships with local and international organizations to support positioning to pursue new funding opportunities to deliver on the program strategy and scale up different implementation modalities that are cost-efficient and sustainable.
- Advance IRC SAP 100 ambitions within WPE programming and contribute to the achievement of the articulated SA ambitions. Specific emphasis is placed on gender integration and mainstreaming within IRC programming.
- Support partnerships on GBV and gender programming with Local Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Support IRC programs to fully reflect and where required transition their approach to system strengthening as an essential component of WPE programming.
- Work at the policy level with key decision makers from various county governments and donors, participating in strategy development and technical discussions relating to future direction of gender and protection program and influence policy reforms/development across all sectors.
Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Ensure that the IRC Emergency Preparedness and Response Plans are prepared in consultation with relevant government and aid partners, are kept up to date with protocol, standards, and guidance from relevant bodies on Protection and Gender and conform to the needs of clients.
- Together with the Senior Management Team (SMT), collaborate with the SMT on establishment and operationalization of the Emergency Response Team (ERT) as pertains to WPE and gender considerations.
Staff and Partner Capacity Development:
- Participate in recruitment and design of staff development plans based on performance reviews in collaboration with the human resources department and contribute to the training of health staff (mentoring, as well as formal training). This includes staff training in program management areas such as reporting, budgeting, monitoring, evaluation, and supervision.
- Develop/organize training and other capacity strengthening opportunities to build the capacity of local partners where relevant/ required.
Coordination, Representation and Advocacy:
- Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders in Kenya including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Lead and advise on advocacy activities for the sector also ensuring the integration of Gender, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion objectives in IRC and partner programming.
- Represent IRC Kenya in external forums and actively participate in coordination mechanisms at the county, national and regional level. These include but are not limited to GBV, Gender, child protection coordination mechanisms and position the IRC as a leader in coordination spaces.
- Advanced degree strongly preferred in gender, women’s studies, child development, protection, humanitarian response, social work, psychology, human rights, international law, social science or related field.
- At least six years of experience implementing, technical assistance, and managing women’s protection programming in an emergency or complex security contexts, with demonstrable understanding of the relevance of humanitarian action; professional experience in Kenya and the Horn of Africa is strongly preferred. An experience in child protection, and/or general protection programming is an added advantage.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of international child protection and women’s protection standards and best practices in humanitarian response and development contexts.
- Applied experience in mental health and psychosocial support programming.
- Demonstrated experience and capacity in the transfer of technical knowledge and management skills through technical training, coaching and mentoring of staff, as well as identified partner organizations.
- Demonstrates strong understanding of integrated programming and has experience in managing multiyear and multisector programing.
- Must be capable of applying skills and knowledge in a range of capacities, including direct implementation and advisory functions,
- Demonstrated experience and success working in partnership models particularly with women led or right based organizations and with remote management.
- Demonstrated experience working with new program start up..
- Demonstrated capacity to work with innovative systems and creative approaches to programming.
- Experience working with new technologies and/or hotlines is an asset.
- Strong program/technical and budget management skills, budgeting, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills across multiple grants and countries.
- Demonstrates strong relationship building skills with a strong presence in coordination bodies and advocacy processes
- Proven practical experience in program design, implementation, and M&E and experience in developing and using community participatory approaches.
- Experience working with community groups, community engagement and negotiation.
- Highly diplomatic with excellent political awareness and advanced negotiation skills.
- Experience of working on issues related to human trafficking and smuggling desirable.
- Experience of working with forced migrants is required.
- Proven experience in governance programming such as working with GOK, county governments, devolution processes for increased demand and improved service delivery is desirable. Experience of working on government policies and laws.
- Proven practical experience in partnership/stakeholder engagement and management
- Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties
- Strong people management skills with cross-cultural exposure and comfortable working as part of a diverse team. Sensitive to interpersonal differences and a range of viewpoints.
- Demonstrated advance planning and organizational skills. Able to effectively prioritize and follow multiple activities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Flexible and innovative. Able to adapt plans and pivot approaches in response to changes in context.
- Proactive, reliable, and able to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Fluency in English and Swahili, spoken and written- a must.
Business Systems Analyst
The Business Systems Analyst is a crucial position within a growing technology team to coordinate with technical stakeholders, translate stakeholder conversations to technical definitions, analyze business data, and contribute to technology road mapping. They will be a part of the 10-person Signpost technology team which supports technology that has reached 48 million people to date and continuously engages over 300 customers (Signpost program staff) in over 20 countries. This position is a core focal point working to ensure broad understanding exists of technology issues, improvements, enhancements, processes, and workflows. Success will contribute to improving the team’s accuracy, trust, transparency, and speedy delivery of new feature builds and support requests.
The Business Systems Analyst analyzes Signpost’s technology team business practices, identifying gaps, and remediating them; documents and maintains institutional knowledge, sharing it as needed; and empowers technology product design and implementation with defined scopes of work. The Business Systems Analyst works closely with the Signpost Product Lead, product team, various working groups across IRC, and Signpost Programming teams to ensure requirements and processes are accurately documented and put to action, and that timelines are broken down into tasks that are realistic to launch. They will coordinate with humanitarian programming teams across the globe about support and feature requests, detailing changes in technology in a digestible format for developers and product administrators. They are dynamic and self-motivated with a passion for data and strong experience with enterprise systems.
Technical Coordination (60%)
- Coordinates with different departmental teams to drive better business outcomes
- Stakeholder-based analysis and planning, and network mapping alongside Product Lead. Promotes equity in development, enhancements, and support across teams with multiple conflicting interests.
- Develops requirements definitions for new tasks in Jira and contributes alongside the product lead toward defining Product Epics
- Collaborate with the product lead to establish priorities, and convert roadmap features into manageable user stories and implementation plans for long-term epics
- Creates detailed business analyses, outlining problems, opportunities and solutions
- Creates scoping documentation alongside Product Lead and Product Specialist to help set actionable, ticket based development goals
- Creates thorough, and clear conditions of satisfaction for developers and product implementation teams to improve understanding of each task’s deliverables.
- Coordinates with Signpost project teams alongside Product Teams to sequence tasks, set priorities, and define new problems or features
- Analyze Signpost support queues in Zendesk. Manage relationships with teams to further define issues alongside country teams. Follow up with teams to convey technical progress, updates, barriers, and next steps.
- Manages relationships with teams for resolving troubleshooting and bug fixing
- Helps design, document and maintain process changes and enhancements.
- Actively participate within the established Agile Scrum project management framework, and contribute to the adoption of this culture within the technology team
Data Analysis (25%)
- Gather and analysis business systems data to identify best approaches to technical program growth
- Create and edit reports and visualizations to draw insights on system data from Google Analytics website troubleshooting data, Google Search Console, and custom Content Management technology to proactively suggest feature updates and bug fixing
- Work alongside Signpost measurement officer to identify business improving analytics for country teams
- Report and analyze core product data and analytics on a bi-weekly and monthly basis
Business Quality Assurance (10%)
- Test business processes and recommend improvements
- Collaborate with Quality Assurance Analyst to identify and define system bugs as well as bug fixes to clarify priority for the development team using data-based decision making.
- Monitor automated integrations with other systems and suggest improvements and/or escalate issues to the appropriate support
Product Administration (5%)
- Access, create, and edit business rules (automations, macros, SLA service targets, triggers, views) in Zendesk and Jira
- Maintains a log of Signpost related costs and pricing for tools and implementation cost considerations for level-setting.
- 5-7 years experience as a Business Systems Analyst, or systems focused professional in a technology or nonprofit systems environment
- At least 4 years experience in an agile-scrum technology environment
- Proven ability to apply data to derive actionable insights and define solutions to improve processes or technical features
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; demonstrated ability to successfully work in a fast-paced environment across time zones and geographies;
- Communicative, innovative, and problem solving demeanor;
- Ability to develop positive relationships with local and remote staff; customer service oriented
- Ability to work independently with remote supervision
- Mission oriented and dedicated to serving on a tech for good project with unique challenges
- Required: Data proficiencies enough to find data anomalies and determine potential root cause(s).Preferred: Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Kumu, Facebook Analytics, Zendesk, Power BI, Monday, and other reporting skills
- Required: Excellent oral and written communications skills (English)
- Preferred: Spanish and French language skills. Arabic is nice to have
- Required: Experience with Agile, JIRA, and other core business analysis competencies
- Preferred: Experience with Google Cloud, Google Search and Search Engine Optimization
- Preferred: Experience with process modeling and business automations in Zapier, PowerAutomate, Zendesk, Salesforce