Data science jobs, Computer science jobs, Information Management jobs, Statistics jobs, Public Administration jobs, Public Information jobs, Project Management jobs,
Data Scientist, P4
- Studies, explores, and evaluates new and existing data sources to determine their effectiveness and accuracy for use in decision making, and assess their suitability for actionable output. Provide data-driven recommendations to stakeholders.
- Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes, monitors and analyzes their development and implementation, and drafts and reviews relevant documents and reports.
- Designs and builds predictive data science products, such as visualizations, models or AI/ML algorithms for initial simulations or prototypes and subsequent ingestion into mainstream software applications.
- Liaises with technology stakeholders to access infrastructure, software and services needed to develop and deploy data science products.
- Promotes use of data science solutions by showcasing the products to stakeholders; disseminating of data products, and raising awareness of available data products.
- Develops products, tools and processes to periodically validate the effectiveness of data science products and their expected and observed benefits. Assesses impact on business defined key performance indicators; Iteratively improves products based on findings.
- Engages in complex research and analyses to develop data products; uses internal and publicly available data and information.
- Oversees and allocates resources to the building of analysis, reporting and quality control capabilities, contributes to short- and long-term planning of UNEP and assists in identifying threats and opportunities to the successful implementation of its mandate.
- Coordinates with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes and translate organizational needs into analytics and reporting requirements to support decisions, strategies and workflows with data and information.
- Develops processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy and conduct full data analytics lifecycle analysis, including data requirements, activities and design.
- Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of data analysis life cycle from ingest and wrangling to analysis and visualization to present findings. Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, ability to build new products and drive new approaches. Ability to convey complex / difficult data science topics to clients in a relatable manner. Takes pride in the work for the organization and understands the impact that can be brought into the organization by allowing data-driven and evidence-based decisions. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- MANAGING PERFORMANCE: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority. Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member. Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills. Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines. Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff. Encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative. Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff. Appraises performance fairly.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree, or equivalent) in data science, computer science, information management, statistics, public administration, public information, management or a related field is required.
- A first-level degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in the specified fields of studies with two (2) additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in data science, data analytics, applied mathematics, information management or related area is required.
- Experience in using data to advance decisions, strategies and execution is required.
- Experience managing small teams is required.
- Experience of working with international multi-agency projects, ideally in an environmental context, is desirable.
- A minimum of two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.9
E-mobility PPG Consultant
Duties and Responsibilities
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority. It sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This consultancy is in UNEP’s Industry and Economy Division, Energy and Climate Branch, Climate Change Mitigation Unit, Africa team, and will be home based.
- UNEP’s Industry and Economy Division works with a portfolio of Global Environment Facility (GEF) medium-size and full-size climate change mitigation projects in Africa. The projects, which are in different stages of development (concept, design, implementation, closure), are executed by different partners (Ministries, NGOs, etc.). The Industry and Economy Division, in its role as implementing agency, provides oversight and ensures adherence to GEF guidelines.
- Under the supervision of the Task Manager for Africa for GEF mitigation projects, and in coordination with the Africa mitigation team, the consultant will execute the project preparation process (incluing developing the full GEF-8 CEO endorsement request package) for the Senegal E-mobility project.
Specific tasks and responsibilities
- For the development of each CEO endorsement request packages:
- Lead the preparation of the CEO endorsement document and its attachments.
- Be responsible for the design of all substantive elements of the CEO endorsement document and its annexes, including sections such as the log frame, budget, workplan, results framework (indicators, end-of-o-project targets), baseline scenario, gaps and barriers analysis, alternative scenario, stakeholders engagement, risks, consistency with national priorities, institutional arrangements, gender action plan, knowledge management, theory of change (ToC), and monitoring and evaluation.
- Prepare an outline of the strategy and methodology to develop such elements, including a provisional timetable.
- In coordination with the UNEP Africa Climate Change Mitigation Team and with support from National Government, the consultant will take the lead in organizing a project scoping mission (first in-country mission) including a stakeholder consultation workshop, bringing together key stakeholders to discuss the project baseline, maps the gaps and barriers, collect relevant country data, co-financing, the problem tree, theory of change and proposed project interventions to prepare the project’s “skeleton” document. Prepare a report summarizing the workshop, with an attendance list.
- Prepare a mission report including main findings on scope and stakeholder consultations (following first country mission).
- Develop the project “skeleton” document, consisting in a 2-page document indicating the proposed project components, outcomes, outputs (with budget at output level), deliverables, as well as the proposed indicators, the problem tree and the theory of change.
- Prepare a presentation for internal discussion to UNEP management describing national circumstances and context, baseline, barriers, proposed intervention, and indicators.
- In consultation with the government, establish project and program specific indicators in Annex A.
- Align substantive elements of the project with national strategic and planning documents.
- Undertake a gender analysis, ensure project deliverables are gender sensitive and prepare a gender action plan with activities, indicators and targets.
- Prepare a first draft of the CEO Endorsement Package, including relevant annexes (annexes to be included in the first draft will be discussed and agreed upon with the Task Manager).
- Prepare and organize in close coordination with the national counterparts a stakeholder validation workshop (second country mission) to validate the developed CEO Endorsement Document (log frames, results framework, budget, workplan, gender action plan, etc.) with key country counterparts.
- Prepare a mission report and validation workshop report summarizing the findings, recommendations and decisions taken during the workshop, and the participants’ list.
- Lead the discussion of co-finance contributions, validate the amount and nature of contributions, identify to which project Component(s) the contribution is allocated, complete the co-finance budget template and provide any inputs required to obtain signed co-finance commitment letters.
- Prepare a final stakeholder consultation report. The GEF requires that a report is prepared and submitted on stakeholder holder consultations undertaken during the PPG.
- Prepare a final and complete version of the CEO Endorsement Document and annexes for UNEP internal review and submission to GEF Secretariat.
- Prepare the submission package of the CEO endorsement document and associated annexes to the UNEP Project Review Committee (PRC) and draft the responses to the Committee’s reviews.
- Prepare the submission package of the CEO endorsement document and associated annexes to the GEF secretariat and draft responses to Secretariat reviews, until final approval.
Inform UNEP on the status of work and highlight, in a timely manner, risks related to the quality of the information received and the fulfillment of the project’s development schedule.
- Advanced university degree in economics, engineering, environmental sciences, management, or a related discipline is required;
- A first level degree with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree
- Minimum of two years of experience in developing, assessing, evaluating or managing projects in the field of climate change, transport, mobility, renewable energy, environment or development is required.
- Experience in drafting project proposals and assessing project documents, including concepts, progress reports, work plans, and financial documents (budgets and expenditure reports) is required;
- Experience working with GEF or UNEP projects is a desirable;
- Experience in working for multilateral or bilateral funding entities in the field of climate change, transport, mobility, renewable energy environment or development is a desirable;
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this consultancy, fluency (both oral and written) in English is required. Working proficiency in French is required.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.