Natural Resource Management jobs, Forestry jobs, Environmental Studies jobs, Agro-forestry jobs, Project Management jobs,
National FMNR Scaling Lead
Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategic and technical support -40%
- Develop and continually improve and iterate World Vision Kenya National FMNR Scaling Strategy (2023-2033) to respond to new opportunities and challenges and incorporate new ideas and innovations.
- National FMNR Scaling Strategy regularly updated
- Lead the development of annual work plans to implement World Vision Kenya’s National FMNR Scaling Strategy.
- Work cross-functionally with the directors/heads and members of diverse teams and departments across World Vision Kenya to coordinate the implementation of annual work plans that progress strategy realisation at the national-level. This could include the establishment of internal coordination structures (i.e., committees, working groups etc.) as deemed appropriate.
- Co-lead the development of six-monthly progress reports against annual work plans (together with the National FMNR Evidence Lead).
- Co-lead the development of an annual FMNR scaling report card against the National FMNR Scaling Strategy (together with the National FMNR Evidence Lead).
- Work with the MERL coordinator to monitor, track and report national level contributions by WVK and partners to the World Vision global FMNR Vision
- Using the Kenya restoration barometer template, work with MERL coordinator to monitor, track and report national level contributions by WVK to Kenya’s national restoration targets and AFR100.
Engagement, Networking and Advocacy-20%
- Map and identify scaling partners and prioritise for engagement.
- Mobilise and engage an alliance/network of national partners to support the scale-up of FMNR in Kenya. Where relevant structures have been established via projects, this position will co-lead partner engagement activities with project staff.
- Establish an engagement framework between FMNR scaling efforts by partners at the national level with those occurring at the global level.
- Represent World Vision Kenya at key national, regional and/or global events relating to FMNR and engage relevant national and global public and private partners as required. In liaison with RAM department, engage donors and potential donors supporting FMNR scaling efforts as required.
Programme Development and Grants Acquisition-20%
- Work collaboratively with World Vision Kenya’s Grant Acquisition and Management (GAM) team to ensure that all emerging funding opportunities are leveraged (where relevant) to support the implementation of the National FMNR Scaling Strategy.
- Work collaboratively with key stakeholders from World Vision Australia to design investment ready projects for diverse donors that support the implementation of the National FMNR Scaling Strategy.
- Where relevant, work with RAM department and the Child Learning and Household Resilience Programme to ensure that all new funding opportunities, including PNS and grant opportunities from Support Office are leveraged to support the implementation of the National FMNR Scaling Strategy
- Ensure new FMNR scaling projects are designed in line with World Vision’s FMNR scaling approach to activate more diverse pathways to scale
- Support programs/projects to ensure that high quality FMNR Program/Project Designs are in place
- Facilitate Regions and Programs to develop high quality FMNR projects through conceptualization, innovation, development and planning
World Vision partnership engagement-10%
- Contribute and align with World Vision’s global FMNR scaling frameworks and processes, including regular meetings with World Vision Australia and other National FMNR Scaling Teams across the region.
- National FMNR scaling efforts in Kenya are aligned with and support World Vision’s global FMNR scaling frameworks and processes
- World Vision Kenya is actively participating in regularly scheduled coordination meetings organised by World Vision Australia
- Opportunities for cross-country learning and collaboration are leveraged
Accountability, Learning and Innovation-5%
- Ensure interpretation and utilization of assessment, baselines, evaluations and verification on quality of designs
- Strengthen research, learning, documentation and dissemination of WVK work in FMNR
Day to day activities-5%
- Participate and contribute in committees and task forces.
- Perform any other task related to the project not mentioned, that affects the sector.
Qualification, Knowledge and Skills
- The job holder must have a minimum Bachelor’s degree in Natural Resource Management, Forestry, Environmental Studies or Agro-forestry related discipline.
- Post-graduate degree or Minimum 5 years of experience in lieu of Master’s degree in the above fields and with some experience in Agriculture will be an added advantage.
- Past experience and in-depth knowledge and experience of FMNR model as a landscape restoration approach is greatly desired.
- Broad understanding of climate change mitigation and adaptation in practice is greatly desired, particularly in the context of smallholder systems in Kenya.
- Minimum of three (3) years relevant working experience in an advisory or management role with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, working for programming-level interventions in climate change adaptation and resilience.
- Strong demonstrated experience in strategy, operations and/or management is a requirement for this work.
- A high level of diplomacy and networking skills is required.
- Strong capacity building and facilitation skills.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview, emotional maturity and physical stamina.
- Ability to manage work life without supervision.
- High level engagement skills (donor, researchers, regional technical leads, plus facilitation skills)
- Strong management background, with skills in budget management
- Ability to scan the environment and adapt quickly to the needs or come up with suitable options.
- He/she must have proven supervisory and project management experience in the related fields. Experience working with NGOs will be an added advantage.
- Proven experience working with different stakeholders in matters of environment and climate change.
- Proven capability to think/plan strategically and act practically (i.e., put plans into action).
- Experience in cross-functional coordination and collaboration for the achievement of shared outcomes.
- Experience working collaboratively with and influencing donors, government and other stakeholders.
- Excellent engagement and influencing skills with an ability to build trust and credibility.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Excellent advocacy and communications skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and resourcefulness.
- He/she must be able to communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that is an example to others.
Project Manager II
- The Project Manager II role is responsible for the end to end management of one or more strategic medium to large-sized, moderate to high complex projects as well as high value Multi-year project budgets.
- Individuals within the Project Management job family are responsible for the planning, development and implementation of project efforts. They develop, establish and maintain project management standards and procedures. They are responsible for developing the project scope, defining project guidelines, obtaining business and information technology sponsor approvals and coordinating the resources necessary to successfully complete the project. Other responsibilities include the refinement of requirements, project coordination, development of plans and schedules, resource planning and estimation and project maintenance.
- Once a project is set in motion, individuals are expected to communicate major milestones, identify potential project risks, provide continuing direction to the project team and conduct regular status meetings to review project activities. They are also responsible for enforcing the change management process. Near the end of the project, they obtain feedback to ensure that project efforts meet customer expectations for contracted time, cost and performance.
- Individuals serving in this role require proven skills in managing within a matrix organization. They have excellent communication skills, with the ability to clearly communicate vision, mission, and goals to both business and IT audiences. They have a sound understanding of technology and its application to achieve business objectives. Lastly, they are expected to provide the highest level of expertise in the application of the tools and techniques of the project management discipline.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships with business owners, project sponsors, vendors and key clients.
- As per the overall stakeholder management plan, effectively communicates and interacts with key stakeholders to ensure their commitment to project outcomes and decision roles.
Project Planning and Integration Management
- Develops, and continually updates, project plans and schedules. Develops Work Breakdown structures.
- Identifies project dependencies prior to the start of the project. Works with the Business Analysts, Product Owners/Business leads and other stakeholders to define/refine the project scope.
- Facilitates the gathering of information required to estimate project cost, resources, time and deliverables. Prepares all project management planning artefacts.
- Coordinates and integrates all elements of a project, including tasks, resources, stakeholders, and deliverables to ensure that processes run efficiently and meet predefined goal.
- Manages competing demands from stakeholders and negotiates conflicts to find workable solutions throughout the project life cyclee. Acts as a mediator between stakeholders and team members.
- Determines staffing requirements and forms project teams. Develops budget requests for resources.
- Works with functional managers to effectively optimize resource allocation across their respective projects.
- Provides work direction and leadership to assigned projects, including scheduling, assignment of work and review of project efforts.
Procurement Planning & Vendor Performance
- Supports the identification of resources/components that need to be procured outside the organization. Describes technical or other issues that need to be considered and assists in the development of Statement of Work (SOWs).
- Contributes to the vendor management process involving RFI, RFQ, RFP, Bid Evaluation, Awarding, contracting and onboarding.
- Evaluates service provider performance. Approves invoices for payment. Provides an issue escalation path and resolves vendor performance disputes.
Risk and Issue Management
- Undertakes continuous identification, assessment and monitoring of all project risks/opportunities/issues to determine their relevance and impact on the project.
- Develops and maintains risk plans, processes and systems in order to mitigate risk. Creates action plan for risks that occur and follows through on plan.
- Maintains issue list, proactively escalating issues to project and departmental leadership to mitigate risk. Recommends and takes action to direct analysis and solution of problems.
- Estimates costs associated with a project including physical, financial and human capital costs.
- Develops a detailed cost baseline from cost estimations. Refines project cost estimates and confirms funding sources. Monitors and controls the actual cost of a project versus the budget.
- Reviews bills and evaluates factors that may potentially cause cost changes. Conducts in-depth root cause analysis of project budget discrepancies.
Standards, Policies, and Procedures
- Utilizes established project standards, procedures. Contributes to the development of new quality metrics as well as new ways of working.
- Compliance to established policies, procedures and standards.
- Identification of quality metrics.
- Develops a communication plan to convey project scope, goals, milestones, budget, risk, status, change requests and critical issues to the client and project team.
- Assesses the effectiveness of the interaction and communication with the client and project team.
- Coaches or mentors less experienced personnel.
- Develops, positively influences and Transfers of knowledge to team members.
KNOWLEDGE/QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE ROLE:
Required Professional Experience
- Requires 5-7 years experience in the IT environment, including 3 or more years in managing Global/Enterprise Technology and Digital Solutions.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally, as necessary
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English.
Preferred Knowledge and Qualifications
- Accredited Project Management Certifications: PMP, Prince2, Agile Certified Practitioner, Professional Scrum Master, Disciplined Agile, Scaled Agile Framework amongst others.
- Project Manager of Global or Regional Technology and Digital Solution projects.