Legal jobs, NGO jobs,
Legal Advisor/Policy Advisor
- As someone with experience working in or with the police, the legal profession, in inter-governmental organisations, human rights NGOs or social movements, you will have a sound understanding of human rights law, particularly as it relates to military, security and policing. You will have strong advisory, advocacy and communication skills, with experience undertaking strategic human rights litigation.
- Fluency in English is essential, whilst fluency in either French, Spanish or Arabic is highly desirable.
- Develop Amnesty’s work on police and human rights in partnership with AINL’s Police and Human Rights Programme.
- Significantly contribute to the organisation’s global campaign on the right to protest in all areas related to policing, in particular by way of specialist advice, coaching, training and other relevant capacity building support.
- Lead, help develop and/or support research, drafting, advocacy, policy, training and standard-setting activities.
- Help further develop Amnesty’s work on military, security and policing, and facilitate partnerships between civil society groups working on these areas.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Substantial expertise and professional experience in human rights law.
- Particular experience and expertise on police and human rights, including from an operational policing perspective, is essential, while expertise on other relevant military, security and policing areas as well as on the prohibition of torture and other ill-treatment would be a key asset.
- Good knowledge of the right to freedom of peaceful assembly is essential, while good knowledge on the rights to freedom of expression and/or association as well as relevant areas of criminal justice and administrative practices affecting protests and protest movements would be a strong asset.
- Excellent written and verbal English is essential; in addition, the ability to work to a high professional level in another widely used language, such as Arabic, Spanish or French, will be an advantage.