- Job Opening ID: 225459
- Job Network : Economic, Social and Development
- Job Family : Programme Management
- Category and Level : General Service and Related Categories, G-6
Duty Station : NAIROBI
- Department/Office : United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- Date Posted : Jan 18, 2024
- Deadline : Feb 16, 2024
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The post is located in the UNODC Regional Office for Eastern Africa (ROEA), Division for Operations (DO), United Nations office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). The incumbent will work under the general guidance of the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Officer, Team Lead of the Africa Anti-Corruption Hub (the Hub), based in ROEA. The Hub will serve UNODC’s anti-corruption work in Africa, including by providing backstopping to other UNODC regional offices through substantive and administrative expertise and knowledge. For more information on UNODC, please visit the website: www.unodc.org
The incumbent will provide day-to-day administrative support to programme activities of the Hub related to preventing and combating corruption. Within assigned authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following specific duties:
- Provide assistance in support of the Hub, programme and project planning and implementation activities/processes.
- Research, compile, analyse, summarize, and present basic information/data on specific programmes/project and related topics.
- Assist in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation; monitor status of programme/project proposals; take necessary action to ensure project documents are completed and distributed to relevant parties for approval.
- Serve as focal point for administrative coordination of programme/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, e.g., recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment.
- Assist in the recruitment process and monitoring of contracts for long- and short-term staff, as well as technical assistance personnel, as required for effective project/programme implementation. Organize and deliver training of the newly recruited staff according to the office and staff needs.
- Draft correspondence and communications related to the Hub and programme/project administration and implementation.
- Provide support with respect to the review, analyses and preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions.
- Prepare supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements.
- Assist in the elaboration of resource requirements for programme/project budget submissions, including reviewing cost plans/budgets for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures and identifying inconsistencies prior to submission for approval and signature.
- Monitor expenditures and compare with approved budget; prepare adjustments as necessary; review budget revisions; verify availability of funds; ensure necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system. • Review requisitions for goods and services to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged, and (b) availability of funds.
- Assist with the preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures; prepare and update periodic reports, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets, etc.
- Monitor integrity of various financial databases.
- Verify accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data in previous allotments to new allotments issued.
- Co-ordinate with all project staff on related issues during preparation of expenditure reports.
- Review, analyse and process payments to third parties, commercial entities and individuals.
- Ensure that the asset register is accurate and up to date; review the asset register and make necessary adjustments as required; carry out annual asset verification.
- Generate a variety of standard statistical and other reports, work orders, etc., using various databases including SAP/UMOJA and IPMR.
- Compile, summarize and enter data on project delivery; draft related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and bring to the attention of management.
- Keep up to date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to the Hub, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
- Maintain and keep up-to-date files.
- Provide general office assistance; respond to complex information requests and inquiries; review, log and route incoming correspondence; set up and maintain files/records.
- Support the organization of meetings, workshops and trainings through (among others) budgeting, procurement of services, hotels, catering, arranging travels and booking tickets for participants.
- Assist with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assist with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
Professionalism: Has knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme /project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Has knowledge of and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in the UN environment. Has knowledge, skills and ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data across the full range of finance and budget functions, including programme development and database management, claims and treasury operations. Is able to identify and resolve data discrepancies and operational problems. Has ability to perform analysis, modeling, and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in administrative services, programme support and administration, is required. The minimum number of years of relevant experience is reduced to five for candidates who possess a first-level university degree or higher.
- Experience in budget, accounting, and in programme management or related areas is required.
- Work experience with organizing workshops and trainings is required. Work experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is required.
- Work experience with SAP/Umoja is desirable. Experience in financial analysis and budget monitoring is desirable.
- Work experience within the United Nations system or similar international organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot