UN Jobs, Programme Management Assistant Job, UNEP Jobs, United Nations Jobs,
- Job Opening ID: 223844
- Job Network : Economic, Social and Development
- Job Family : Programme Management
- Category and Level : General Service and Related Categories, G-5
- Duty Station : NAIROBI
- Department/Office : United Nations Environment Programme
- Date Posted : Dec 28, 2023
- Deadline : Jan 26, 2024
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
Our mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
UNEP’s Communication Division raises the organization’s profile, informs policies and influences attitudes, behaviour and decisions related to the environment worldwide. This position is located in the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Communication Division, at the Nairobi Duty Station.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Section, Public Advocacy and Communication, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assists in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation work for, typically, a medium-size and complex component of the departmental programme/project initiatives; monitors status of programme/project proposals and receipt of relevant documentation for review and approval.
- Compiles, summarizes, and presents basic information/data on specific programmes/project and related topics or issues.
- Reviews project documents, especially cost plans/budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identifies inconsistencies; distributes project documents to relevant parties upon approval.
- Reviews budget revisions; verifies availability of funds; ensures necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system.
- Serves as focal point for administrative coordination of programme/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organizational units to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services.
- Serves as Focal Point for Umoja related tasks in Grantor Management.
- Compiles, summarizes and enters data on project delivery; drafts related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and brings to the attention of management.
- Initiates and follows through with all steps and transactions in the grantor module for projects supporting campaigns, communication activities.
- Serves as IPMR (Integrated Planning, Management and Reporting) focal point for the Division.
- Drafts correspondence on budget-related issues and prepares and updates periodic reports, briefing notes, graphic and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets.
- Provides general office assistance; responds to complex information requests and inquiries; reviews, logs and routes incoming correspondence; sets up and maintains files/records; organizes meetings, workshops; handles routine administrative tasks, such as maintaining attendance records, assessing telephone billing.
- Provides guidance/training to new/junior staff.
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Understanding of the functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related units. Ability to work well with figures, undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources. Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in programme or project administration, technical cooperation or related area is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to three (3) for candidates who possess a first-level university degree or higher.
- Two (2) years’ experience of working with organization-wide mandated financial, human and physical resources management online platform is required.
- Three (3) years’ work experience in the United Nations system or similar organization is desired
- One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
- “NOTE: “ fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ” Knowledge of” equals a rating of ” confident” in two of the four areas.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot