Ongoing Recruitment UN Jobs 2023
Submit your CV now
|Posting Title:||Programme Management Officer, P3|
|Job Code Title:||CRIME PREVENTION AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE OFFICER|
|Department/Office:||United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime|
|Posting Period:||27 June 2023 – 26 July 2023|
|Job Opening Number:||23-Drug Control and Crime Prevent-UNODC-212111-R-Nairobi (A)|
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the Regional Office for Eastern Africa (ROEA), Division for Operations (DO) of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) in Nairobi, Kenya. The incumbent will work under the general guidance of the ROEA Representative and the direct supervision of the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Officer heading the Crime Prevention, Criminal Justice and Anti-Corruption Programme.
For more information on UNODC, please visit: www.unodc.org
The incumbent will substantively contribute to project management including providing substantive and technical expertise in the area of programme implementation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation in conformity with UN rules and regulation, and policies for the implementation of the Programme for Legal Empowerment and Aid Delivery in Kenya (PLEAD II). S/he will work in close cooperation with the National Partners within the Criminal Justice Sector of the Government of Kenya. Within assigned authority, the Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following specific duties:
- • Provide substantive and technical support, coordination and guidance for the development and implementation of the Programme for Legal Empowerment and Aid Delivery in Kenya Phase II (PLEAD II).
- • Work closely with the National Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Partners within the Government of Kenya to prepare and disseminate relevant programme documents on Legal Empowerment and Aid Delivery in Kenya.
- • Provide substantive and technical support, coordination and guidance for the development and implementation of the Regional Programme on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice and Anti-Corruption Programmes in Eastern Africa.
- • Provide, as assigned by the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Officer heading the CPCJ Programme, guidance and substantive support including coordination and monitoring of the project implementation and activities while liaising with the GoK counterparts, donors, and other stakeholders.
- • Provide, as assigned, guidance and substantive support to streamline cross-UNODC coordination and stimulate synergies between projects while expanding the Criminal Justice Reforms under the Plead II Project.
- • Identify technical assistance needs for capacity building and support sustainable strategies to reform and strengthen the Criminal Justice Sector in Kenya.
- • Guide, coordinate and support the efforts and contributions of consultants, experts, UNODC’s project personnel, donors, and government institutions towards the achievement of the programme’s and pillar objectives.
- • Prepare and disseminate while coordinating and track teamwork-plans, terms of reference, and other UNODC’s project-related documentation.
- • Raise awareness to government counterparts and donors on the use of UNODC manuals, handbooks, guides, standards, and norms related to Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Reforms in line with UNODC Mandate areas.
- • Ensure that operations, budgetary and financial administration, procurement, logistics, liaison and communication activities assigned to the programme are conducted according to UNODC standards and procedures and follow-up on input/actions to be taken.
- • Monitor the project progress on a daily basis as well as the use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary.
- • Organize and support training courses, seminars, working groups, workshops, and study tours.
- • Prepare project revisions, budgets allotments and IPMR (Integrated Planning, Management and Reporting) solution as the Project focal point.
- • Monitor progress of UNODC’s project implementation, plan, coordinate and solve operational issues, prepare budget revisions, and prepare reports on programme implementation for the UNODC ROEA Representative, and other senior officials of ROEA and UNODC Headquarters.
- • Has ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management.
- • Perform other work-related duties as required.
• Professionalism: Has knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to criminal justice, police reforms, law enforcement and/or related fields. Has knowledge of policies and practices in international crime prevention and criminal justice as well as the mandates of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. Has very good research and analytical skills and is able to identify problems and contribute to the solution of problems/issues. Has ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Is able to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in criminal justice, criminology, law, political science, management, or other relevant discipline, is required. A first-level university degree in similar fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional experience in criminal justice, police reform, law enforcement and/or related fields is required.
- Work experience in developing, implementing, and evaluating programmes /projects is required.
- Work experience with EU funded projects is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in managing teams and managing partnerships is desirable.
- Work experience within the United Nations system or similar international organizations with a focus on budgetary and financial administration and procurement is desirable.
- Work experience in organizing workshops is desirable.
- Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot