- Work Location: Kenya – Nairobi
- Expected Travel: up to 40%
- Type of Contract: Local
- Language Requirement: English
- Employee Duration: Full-Time
This role is open to Kenyan Nationals only and will be on a national contract
CARE USA manages, supports and oversees 9 Country Offices (COs) in the East & Central Africa region (hereafter referred to as ECA) including Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan, Burundi, Uganda, Rwanda and DRC) region through the regional management unit (RMU). Within the Regional Management Unit (RMU) the Regional Head of Finance is a key Finance Support role that will report to the Regional Business Services Director and will provide effective oversight of financial operations at the COs level across the ECA region.
The role is accountable for organizing and providing high-level quality financial services to individual COs programs, projects, and units staff. Works closely with the Shared Services Center (SSC) and Regional Office (RO) and COs senior management to ensure appropriate financial support and assists in the mobilization of resources necessary to drive financial excellence at the CO. Ensures a strong partnership is developed and nurtured between Finance, Program, and other program support units in the COs.
The role profile includes very strong accounting and financial management knowledge, analytical skills, attention to detail, ability to work effectively under time pressure, very strong business partnering skills with the ability to influence CO senior staff. A team player, proactive individual with the ability to offer structured guidance, ability to ensure that the right priorities are set for the CO finance team, proven experience in training finance and non-finance staff, proficiency in English.
Regional Financial Management Coordination and Support
- Provide technical support to CO financial operations and ensures that process flows and controls over financial and accounting functions are adequate, CO data are processed in the system timely and accurately and reported to donors, management, and other partners timely. Work closely with CO Finance Leads/Heads of Finance to ensure COs have efficient process flows and controls over their finance and accounting functions.
Quality Review, Analysis, Compliance and Control Functions
- Develop and implement strategies to improve financial management practices and ensure appropriate action is taken by CO management.
- Review and analyse financial information and reports including but not limited to; balance sheet; bank reconciliations; income statement; grants/contracts reports; unrestricted and private contributions reports; actual expenses vs. budget; shared program costs and cost recovery; payroll allocation and time sheets; etc.
Business process Improvements
- Partner with the wider organization in the rollout of special projects/initiatives aimed at improving financial management and reporting in COs. These include Global AP, Time Entry, STP, etc.
- Support in the socialization of the use of new tools and templates by CO teams and provide feedback to the wider organization
People management, Capacity building, Recruitments and Onboarding
- CO capacity building in financial management for finance and non-finance staff in the country office.
- Gap filling in COs where they have capacity gaps and identify deployments to fill gaps in COs.
- Direct supervisor of Regional Business Analyst, including coaching/mentoring and providing opportunities for growth and development
Annual budgeting, Panning and Financial Reporting
- Support technical Coordination of the Regional Annual FY budgeting process. Leading on the receipt and collation / analysis of the submissions from BUs.
- Guide CO’s on the mid year forecasting process, receiving and reviewing the CO and RO submissions in line with the forecasting guidelines,
- Accountable for preparation and submission of complete, reliable, and timely financial reports for RMT and other stakeholders.
- Monthly financial reviews of all the COs financial management performance through the designated tools, (COMFORT)
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Management or equivalent (Required): Membership in CPA or any other relevant professional qualifications (ACCA, CIMA)
- About 10 years of progressive experience and relevant work experience at a regional or country office set up in similar sized INGO, and experience with major donor management and audits (e.g., USAID, EU, etc.)
- Highly experienced in accounting systems and thorough understanding of financial accounting, reporting, grants, and contract management processes.
- Strong communication and facilitation skills and ability to conduct training sessions for small, medium, and large-sized groups.
- Excellent analytical skills, problem-solving, an ability to quickly learn new systems, processes, and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring finance staff and strong interpersonal.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel and Word
- Core competencies include – Building effective teams; Functional/technical skills; process management; Organization agility; Managing diversity; Command skills; planning and communicating with impact.
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Change Coach. I help professionals change their careers and transition to the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
As your career coach, I assist you in getting unstuck in your career. I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot