- Job Opening ID: 222637
- Job Network : Economic, Social and Development
- Job Family : Programme Management
- Category and Level : General Service and Related Categories, G-7
- Duty Station : NAIROBI
- Department/Office : United Nations Environment Programme
- Date Posted : Dec 11, 2023
- Deadline : Jan 9, 2024
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UN Environment’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This post is located in the Ecosystems Division, UN Environment, at the Nairobi duty station.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Programme Support Unit Officer, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Independently provides full range of programme/project management and implementation assistance at all phases of the programme/project cycle for, Division’s programme/project initiatives, seeking guidance only in exceptional circumstances.
- Research, compiles, analyses, summarizes, and presents basic information/data on wide range of programmes/projects and related topics, highlighting noteworthy issues/trends for consideration by appropriate parties.
- Tracks resolutions and other legislative decisions that affect programme/project content and oversees the preparation of the relevant database(s) to ensure the incorporation of programmatic and other changes enacted by legislation.
- Reviews, appraises and revises, as necessary, all submissions for projects, ensuring compliance with guidelines and programme/project objectives; identifies problems/issues, seek clarification from Branches and Units of the Division, and prepares a summary for the Programme Management Officer with suggestions for further action.
- Provides substantive assistance in the review of legal instruments where necessary to ensure that the legal instruments meet UN standards and channel exceptions for approval from the relevant offices to the Corporate Services Division.
- Drafts inputs for a wide range of documents/reports, briefings/debriefings, and correspondence as they relate to programme/project activities.
- Serves as focal point for monitoring and reporting activities for the Division’s Programme of Work and projects, ensuring that relevant implementation information is regularly updated in the enterprise programme/ project monitoring and reporting systems (i.e. Integrated Planning, Management and Reporting Solution (IPMR) and Project Information Management System (PIMS).
- Supports the Programme Management Officer in the smooth transition to the Umoja programme/ project monitoring system ensuring the accurate migration of programme/ project information from the legacy systems. May undertake mission/field work in support of above activities, e.g. specific administrative, operational/control tasks for programme/project activities.
- Establishes internal databases utilizing Microsoft tools such as Microsoft lists, power apps, power automate and forms; sets up, files, stores and manages data and information relevant to the scope of programme/project activities; identifies technology needs, as appropriate.
- Maintains and further develops the register of audit and evaluation recommendations, follows up on the implementation of those audit and evaluation recommendations related to Programme of Work, projects, and legal instruments, and facilitates timely substantive feedback by relevant Branches and Units to audit/evaluation questions and recommendations, as needed.
- Maintains and further develops the Division’s registry of legal instruments, monitors and updates their implementation status and documents their technical completion when outputs are delivered and reports are provided by the parties and liaises with Financial Management Team for their final closures.
- Serves as the publications focal point for the Division: reviews the Division’s publication proposals and coordinates their submission to the UNEP Publishing Board; coordinates technical review of publications by other Divisions; and represents the Division at the Publishing Board meetings.
- Develops, expands and maintains already existing Power BI dashboard(s) that tracks project financial performance and lifecycle elements to ensure compliance and adherence to corporate standards.
- Supervises junior support staff, including provision of guidance, training, and inputs to performance evaluation.
- Support project financial and administrative closure process.
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of internal policies, processes, and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Understanding of the functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related units. Ability to identify, independently assess, formulate recommendations and/or resolve a wide range of issues/problems, undertake research and gather information from standard sources and to work well with figures including ability to analyze and understand financial data. The ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Ability to design information data bases from multiple sources into an integrated programme evaluation system. Ability to direct, supervise and train office support staff. Demonstrated ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given and discretion, resourcefulness and ability to deal proactively and tactfully with offices throughout the organization. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
- Relevant training in project management is desirable.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of professional work experience in programme or project administration is required.
- The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to eight (8) years for candidates who possess a first-level university degree or higher.
- Experience in using Power BI, finance, technical cooperation or a related area is required.
- Experience in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, such as SAP (Umoja) or other equivalent platforms is required.
- Experience in results-based planning and reporting is desirable.
- Experience in the application of relevant regulations and rules of the United Nations, or any similar public service organization, in an operational environment is desirable.
- One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
- NOTE: “Fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ” Knowledge of” equals a rating of ” confident” in two of the four areas.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot