- Job Opening ID: 220617
- Job Family : Administration
- Category and Level : General Service and Related Categories, G-5
- Duty Station : NAIROBI
- Department/Office : United Nations Environment Programme
- Date Posted : Nov 30, 2023
- Deadline : Dec 29, 2023
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations System and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The overall objective of UNEP’s Industry and Economy Division is to encourage decision makers in government, local authorities and industry to develop and adopt policies, strategies and practices and technologies that promote sustainable patterns of consumption and production, make efficient use of natural resources, ensure safe management of chemicals and contribute to making trade and environment policies mutually supportive.
It promotes the development, use and transfer of policies, technologies, economic instruments, managerial practices and other tools that assist in environmentally sound decision making and the building of corresponding activities. The position is located in the Industry and Economy Division, Chemicals and Health Branch, Sustainable Mobility Unit (http://www.unep.org/transport/) at the UNEP Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. Under the supervision of the Head, Sustainable Mobility Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties
Budget and Finance
- Provides assistance in the preparation, development, monitoring (travel and meeting facilitation funds) and review of the office’s medium-term work plan and budget. Regarding the budget, considers staff, non-staff and programmatic cost estimates.
- Assists in monitoring the work plan/budget with respect to various budgets, trust funds, grants extra-budgetary resources and other funds on a regular basis. Records reallocations of resources and implements the reallocations as necessary.
- Reviews requisitions for goods and services to confirm (a) that correct objects code of expenditure have been charged, and (b) availability of funds.
- Prepares, processes and follows-up on administrative arrangements and forms related to the official travel of staff.
- Drafts routine correspondence.
- Maintains up-to-date work unit files (both paper and electronic).
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required, e.g., operational travel programme; physical space planning; organizing and coordinating administrative arrangements for seminars, conferences and translations, reporting.
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
PROFESSIONALISM: Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work programme, human resources, database management, general administration. Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. Ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job – Specific Qualification
- Bachelor’s degree in administration or finance is desirable.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, travel and/or related area for donor funded projects is required.
- The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced to three (3) years for candidates who possess a first-level university degree or higher.
- Experience working at United Nations Agencies or similar international organization in administration, finance or travel is desirable.
- Working experience in administrative electronic tools, such as Umoja, ERP or similar systems, is desirable.
- Experience in handling and processing travel requests for staff members and meeting participants is desirable. One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
- NOTE: “Fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and “Knowledge of” equals a rating of “confident” in two of the four areas.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment, such as a written test, which will be followed by a competency-based interview by phone or teleconference.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot