|Posting Title:||Assistant Administrative Officer, NOA|
|Job Code Title:||ASSISTANT ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER|
|Department/Office:||United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime|
|Posting Period:||04 May 2023 – 02 June 2023|
|Job Opening Number:||23-Administration-UNODC-208240-R-Nairobi (N)|
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the UNODC Regional Office for Eastern Africa (ROEA), Nairobi, Kenya, Division for Operations (DO), United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Programme Management Officer heading the Transnational Organized Crime, Illicit Trafficking and Countering Terrorism Programme (TOC/CT) and the overall guidance of the UNODC Representative for Eastern Africa (ROEA).
For more information on UNODC, please visit the website: www.unodc.org
Within assigned authority, the incumbent will assist in administrative areas of the Office including human resource administration, financial administration, travel administration, and project/programme planning. The roles will be performed in conformity with administrative instructions, United Nations (UN) Financial Rules and regulation, and the policies for the implementation of the projects. The incumbent will perform the following specific duties:
• Assist in undertaking actions related to the administration of the Office’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
• Provide information regarding conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
• Provide information on the office’s staffing needs for inclusion in pillar’s staffing table.
• In coordination with the Assistant Finance and Budget Officer assist in developing the Office’s work programme and budget; analyse inputs and formulate resource allocations by work programme and assist in monitoring budget/work programmes. Assist with the preparation and submission of financial reports.
• Assist in supporting the implementation of procedures and systems for implementing the appropriate financial database. Develop and maintain a dashboard that tracks the financial performance, compliance, and risks for adaptive project management
• As member of a team assist with the development of budgetary guidelines for the Office.
• Contribute to coordinating and monitoring the office commitments, including travel (and imprest requests), purchase orders, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) financial authorization on a bi-monthly basis and ensure timely closure in line with UNODC ROEA established timelines.
• Perform other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme, monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services, physical space planning and the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems).
• Assist with the development of relevant annual/quarterly plans, such as procurement plans, staff development plans, quarterly recruitment plans, quarterly leave plans, quarterly official mission plans, etc.
• Assist in project/programme planning, monitoring, and reporting in the Integrated Planning, Management and Reporting (IPMR) system.
• Contribute to the collection and analysis of data and identification of trends or patterns and provide draft insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Document requirements and background information used for data analysis.
• Perform other work-related duties, as required.
• Professionalism: Has knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches related to administrative, financial, human resources, travel and project management related fields. Has the ability to generate reports and presentations that include graphs, maps and tables. Has ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Has a broad understanding of the UNODC Eastern Africa region in its role in participation of UN reforms. Has knowledge of the mandates of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- A first-level university degree in finance, business administration, finance, accounting, economics or other related fields is required.
- A minimum of two years of progressive responsible professional experience in administration, finance, accounting, project/programme management and related fields is required.
- Work experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, such SAP/Umoja, Inspira, and Integrated Planning, Management and Reporting (IPMR) is desirable.
- Experience in managing grants specifically EU grants is desirable.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft power BI is desirable.
- Work experience within the United Nations system or a similar international organization is desirable.
- Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English, is required. Knowledge of Swahili is desirable. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot