Head of Quality
HEAD OF QUALITY
- The leadership and management of the quality department are vested on the Head of Quality. He/She shall be the Head of Quality for both operations and the technical departments and shall therefore retain direct liaison with the Head of maintenance and operations.
- He/She is responsible to the Accountable Manager and to the Authority on matters pertaining to quality.
- Responsible to the Accountable Manager for the effective management of the Quality Department and assuring compliance with Company Quality Policy as defined by the Quality Manual and regulations.
- Responsible for establishing an independent quality system to monitor compliance with all Kenya Civil Aviation Authority Approval (KCAA) currently held by the company
- Responsible for liaising and negotiating with Kenya Civil Aviation Authority, on behalf of the Accountable Manager, in matters regarding the maintenance and operations of the company approval granted by the KCAA
- Responsible for implementing a quality audit program in which compliance with all maintenance procedures is reviewed at regular intervals in relation to scope of Approval held. Any observed noncompliance or poor standards are brought to the attention of the person concerned via his/her manager
- The QM has direct access to the Accountable Manager and the Authority in the event of any reported discrepancy not being adequately attended to by the relevant person
- Assessing the terms of reference of his staff and their interpretation
- Assessing sub-contractors for extension of the quality system, and
- Assessing external specialist services required to be used by the company in the performance of maintenance.
- Assessing suppliers of new and used components, and materials, for satisfactory production quality in relation to the needs of the organization
- Preparing standard practices and procedures for use within the organization, derived from approved sources, and keeping them up to date
- Ensuring that all sub-contract orders are correctly detailed and that the requirements of the contract/order are fulfilled in respect of inspection and quality control.
- Acting on any corrective action resulting from quality audit by external or internal organization
- For monitoring the organization’s compliance with regulatory approvals and requesting remedial action as necessary by the Head of Maintenance and Operations respectively, as appropriate.
- To ensure that quality of services produced meet or exceed both customer and regulatory requirements through active leadership and effective implementation of total quality management. That is, to develop a continuous improvement system and a participative culture among staff so that individual talents can, through team effort, be effectively utilized to improve departmental and company performance.
- Maintaining and keeping current all Quality Audit and inspection records for review at any time by the competent authority and other external bodies as appropriate.
- Keep the Accountable Manager informed on all activities related to the Quality System.
Aviation Ground Handler
- Wilderness Air seeks to appoint an Aviation Ground Handler, responsible for performing various tasks on the ground to facilitate the smooth and timely arrival and departure of aircraft. The primary goal of this key role is to ensure the safety and efficiency of ground operations while adhering to relevant regulations and procedures.
- Coordinate and execute the efficient turnaround of aircraft between arrivals and departures.
- Manage the loading and unloading of cargo, baggage, and mail.
- Ensure the timely refueling and servicing of aircraft.
- Aircraft cleaning
- Handle the sorting, transportation, and loading/unloading of passenger baggage.
- Operate ground support equipment such as baggage carts, conveyor belts, and tow tractors.
- Oversee the handling and processing of airfreight and cargo shipments.
- Ensure accurate documentation and labeling of cargo.
- Direct arriving and departing aircraft on the ground using hand signals or electronic communication devices.
- Ensure safe taxiing of aircraft on the ground.
Safety and Security:
- Adhere to safety protocols and guidelines during all ground operations.
- Collaborate with security personnel to ensure the security of aircraft, passengers, and cargo.
Ground Support Equipment (GSE) Operation:
- Operate and maintain various ground support equipment, including aircraft tugs, ground power units, and conveyor belts.
- Maintain effective communication with air traffic control, pilots, and other ground personnel.
- Report any irregularities or issues to relevant authorities.
- Assist passengers with special needs during boarding and disembarkation.
- Provide excellent customer service to passengers and airline staff.
- Support other staff in the day to day administration with a high degree of confidentiality, sound judgment and initiative.
- Provide assistance to other members of the Governors’ Aviation team as required or directed.
- Any other duties may be assigned.
- Emotional intelligence with strong interpersonal skills
- Analytical skills
- Numerical skills
- Listening Skills
- Problem solving
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Personal leadership skills, self-awareness and taking responsibility for personal development
- Diversity management, ability to embrace divergent points of view and sociocultural differences.
- The Driver Guide is responsible for providing a safe, informative, and enjoyable safari experience to tourists and guests. They will drive guests around wildlife parks, conservancies, or reserves, ensuring their safety while providing educational commentary about the flora and fauna encountered. The Driver Guide will also serve as a representative of the company, maintaining high standards of customer service and professionalism throughout the safari journey.
- Conduct pre-trip inspections of safari vehicles to ensure they are in good working condition, reporting any issues to the appropriate personnel.
- Safely transport guests to and from designated safari sites, utilizing expert driving skills and adhering to all traffic rules and regulations.
- Provide accurate and entertaining commentary to guests on the wildlife, plant life, and natural landmarks encountered during the safari.
- Assist guests with entering and exiting the safari vehicle, ensuring their comfort and safety at all times.
- Maintain a professional and friendly demeanour when interacting with guests, addressing their questions and concerns promptly and courteously.
- Monitor guests’ behaviour and adherence to safety guidelines, taking necessary measures to enforce rules when required.
- Possess an in-depth knowledge of the wildlife within the safari area, including their behaviour, habitats, and conservation status.
- Assist guests in spotting and identifying animals, birds, and other wildlife, using binoculars and other necessary equipment.
- Collaborate with other guides, rangers, and park officials to exchange information and enhance the overall safari experience for guests.
- Maintain accurate records of safari activities, including sightings, distances travelled, and any incidents or emergencies encountered.
- Undertake continuous professional development to enhance knowledge of wildlife, conservation practices, and local culture.
- Ensure the cleanliness and tidiness of safari vehicles, reporting any maintenance or cleanliness issues to the relevant authority.
- Adhere to all safety procedures and guidelines related to wildlife encounters, emergency situations, and driving in potentially challenging terrain.
- Stay up-to-date with latest wildlife conservation, environmental and safety regulations affecting the safari industry.
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent qualification. Some college coursework in wildlife conservation, ecology, or related fields is preferred.
- Proven experience as a Safari Driver Guide or in a similar role is highly desirable.
A valid PDP driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- A Wilderness Level 2 qualification
- Extensive knowledge of indigenous wildlife, including mammals, birds, reptiles, and vegetation found in the specific safari area.
- Strong driving skills, with the ability to navigate various terrains, including off-road and challenging surfaces.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with fluency in English. Proficiency in additional languages is an advantage.
- Ability to handle emergency situations calmly and effectively, demonstrating good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Proven customer service and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact with guests of diverse backgrounds and ages.
- Physical fitness and stamina to endure long hours of driving and walking during safaris, in varying weather conditions.
- Understanding of environmental conservation practices and commitment to sustainable tourism.
- Familiarity with GPS navigation systems, first aid procedures, and basic vehicle maintenance techniques.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and public holidays, as safari schedules may vary.
- Strong problem-solving and adaptability skills to handle unexpected situations during safaris.
- Knowledge of local customs, traditions, and cultural practices is advantageous.