Machine Learning – PhD Internship Opportunities
- Collaborate with our research and development team to design, implement, and optimize machine learning algorithms, with a focus on Generative AI and language models.
- Analyse and preprocess large datasets to extract meaningful insights for model development and/or finetuning.
- Evaluate and experiment with various machine learning models, frameworks, and techniques to investigate robustness and equity of LLMs in the African setting.
- Communicate research findings through publications, presentations, and engaging with the academic and research communities.
- Currently pursuing or recently completed a PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Experience with deep learning and natural language processing.
- Strong theoretical and practical knowledge of machine learning algorithms, with a preferred focus on NLP.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, TensorFlow, and/or PyTorch.
- Clear understanding of Large Language Models (LLMs) & related AI technologies
- Passion for staying up to date with the latest advancements in AI & ML.
- Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills within a multidisciplinary team.
- Passionate about building the next generation of equitable AI technology for Africa
Machine Learning for Geospatial Analysis – PhD Research: Internship Opportunities
- We are currently looking for a PhD intern with a strong passion for machine learning and GIS to participate in a four-month project centred around flood prediction in Africa. The intern will become an integral part of our dynamic research team, aiming to actively contribute to the advancement of a sophisticated flood forecasting system. This involves harnessing diverse data sources and integrating machine learning models into the development process.
- To be able to work independently and conduct high-quality research under the mentorship of a senior researcher within MARI.
- Evaluate and experiment with various machine learning models, frameworks, and techniques to build a flood prediction model.
- To collaborate successfully with MARI researchers, other interns, PhD students, post docs, professors, and industry partners to produce outstanding research.
- To contribute to a high-quality publication in a top peer reviewed journal or conference.
- Communicate research findings through presentations and engaging with the academic and research communities.
- Must be currently enrolled in, or recently completed a PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Geospatial analytics, or a related STEM field.
- Must have at least 2 years of experience with modelling in Python.
- Must have at least 2 years of experience with machine learning models.
- Experience working with satellite imagery data and geospatial analysis.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively collaborate with multidisciplinary teams.