MIKE Data Analyst Consultant
Under the overall supervision of Chief, Outreach and Projects Unit, the MIKE Data Analyst consultant will:
- Ensure that all MIKE site elephant mortality data received by the MIKE Central Coordination Unit (MIKE CCU) for 2023 is entered into the MIKE online database, and verified as needed through follow up with MIKE CCU staff and site and national focal points;
- Undertake analysis of all MIKE site elephant mortality data received by the MIKE CCU for 2023, and produce trend analyses for Africa (including analyses of the four sub-regions of west, central, eastern and southern Africa) and Asia, of the proportion of illegally killed elephants;
- Prepare a draft report of the results of the trend analyses (continental and sub-regional) and present to the MIKE-ETIS Technical Advisory Group and MIKE CCU to obtain feedback;
- Revise the draft report, taking into account feedback from the MIKE-ETIS Technical Advisory Group, the MIKE CCU and Secretariat staff, to prepare a final report for submission to the MIKE CCU;
- Prepare MIKE reports for each MIKE site in English or French, including a breakdown analysis for each MIKE data element for each reporting year of the site.
- Prepare power point presentations detailing the analyses carried out and the various results obtained, which will be presented during MIKE-ETIS Technical Advisory Group meeting;
- Provide training (online and in-person) to the relevant MIKE CCU staff on MIKE data analysis, including PIKE trend analysis, the use of the MIKE online database and any other skills related to MIKE data management.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
- Qualifications/special skills
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, environmental statistics, environmental science, or related fields is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least five years of relevant work experience in data analytics, including the use of data analysis systems and software is required. Knowledge of R statistical software is required.
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; knowledge of database management; and office technology equipment; is desirable.
- Experience in preparation of presentations and reports is desirable;
- Experience with international organizations is desirable.
- Professionalism: demonstrated understanding of operations relevant to CITES Secretariat; technical capabilities or knowledge relevant or transferrable to CITES Secretariat procedures and rules; discretion, political sensitivity, diplomacy and tact to deal with clients; Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work ability to apply good judgement; ability to liaise and coordinate with a range of different actors, especially in senior positions; where appropriate, high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; resourcefulness and willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented;
- Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, mixed-gender environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity; sensitivity and adaptability to culture, gender, religion, nationality and age; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of UN operations; ability to achieve common goals and provide guidance or training to colleagues;
- Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities;
- Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations; ability to communicate and empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts and local interlocutors coming from very diverse backgrounds; capacity to transfer information and knowledge to a wide range of different target groups.
- English, French and Spanish are the working languages of the CITES Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in spoken and written English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable
- Lead the Multimedia Unit, including support to the unit’s clients, ensuring effective integration of multimedia outputs in the broader conceptualization and planning of communication interventions. Oversee the recruitment of consultants. Manage the Unit’s financial resources, including the procurement of goods and services inline with the UNEP’s policies, procedures, regulations and rules. Implement the Audio-Visual strategy, bringing state of the art practices, techniques, technologies and approaches to bear on the organisation’s multimedia work. Prepare protocols and procedures to streamline multimedia production and to manage the organisation’s digital and other media assets. Develop a database of partnerships supporting multimedia production, dissemination, distribution, and broadcast.
- Produce and oversee the production and versioning of multimedia content for the organization, coordinating and supervising the work of internal and outsourced multimedia professionals from relevant fields including photography, filmmaking, animation, data visualization, music, design, translation, ICT, etc. Oversee asset management, dissemination, distribution, and broadcast. Support production research, scripting, direction, and editing.
- Plan and implement the unit’s work, including executive producer, producer, and director capacities. Provide guidance to the section on multimedia initiatives.
- Initiate and maintain high quality rosters of, and long-term arrangements with, individual and institutional service providers for all aspects of multimedia production, suiting a wide range of projects and budgets, and positioned to deliver excellent multimedia products on a turnkey basis.
- Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of audio-visual technologies, approaches and practices for the creation and maintenance of high-quality audio-video material for varied media projects; proven creativity and ability to oversee and develop design that will advance the image and priorities of the UN. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; establish effective collaboration and partnerships with officials at all levels inside and outside the organization. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocate appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Speaks and writes clearly; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailor language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in media/multimedia production, production management, film making, or related area is required.
- A first level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an desirable.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in multimedia, filmmaking, broadcast journalism, communication or related field is required.
- Experience in an international environment is desirable.
- Experience managing international teams of multimedia professionals is desirable.
- One (1) year of experience in producing science-based content is desirable
- Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working knowledge of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.