Get a 6 Figure Salary Even Without a Degree
Working with NGOs, the UN & International Organisation
Find details here
Communication jobs,Public relations jobs,Journalism jobs,
Opening date: 16th December 2021
Closing date: Not specified
(NOTE: 3 Simple, Easy to do tips to make you NEGOTIATE a 6 Figure Salary like a PRO (backed by case studies and research). Get More Details Here.)
The role will ensure that the right communications resources are produced to facilitate Plan International’s engagement with its diverse audiences, including strengthening its internal and external communications to increase brand knowledge and awareness.
This role requires a self-driven, passionate communications professional who is a strategic thinker, relationship builder, team player, a planner with a passion for creative storytelling through writing, photos, and or video production.
management scope, reporting lines, key relationships
- Communications Team: Corporate Communications and Media Relations Manager, Assistants, Graduate Intern
- Programmes Team: Programme Units, Project Managers, Technical advisors, Coordinators and officers
- Direct reports: No direct reports
- Service Providers and suppliers
- Partners from Community Based Organisations
- Other NGOs and Government
Level of contact with children
Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children
Typical office environment with (40%) travel to various program offices and project sites in the country.
Based in Nairobi at the Kenya Country Office (KCO), expectations for the position holder include:
Content development for internal and external engagement 40%
- Support the production of high impact communications products to facilitate Plan International Kenya external engagement efforts and resource acquisition;
- Produce high quality written stories that demonstrate impact for engagements on digital channels, donor engagements, and public engagements;
- Engage with selected service providers to produce high-quality documentaries for projects in line with agreed on Terms of Reference (TORs);
- In liaison with project staff, coordinate message development, packaging, and dissemination of reports and other Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials;
- Package and disseminate stories to Plan International global hub through approved information management channels;
- Initiate relevant topical content in support of Plan International key priorities and key global moments for use to engage audiences;
- Ensure all content complies with Plan International’s safeguarding protocols.
Media communications – 20%
- Support in developing and maintaining key media contacts and build strategic relationships with media;
- Proactively pursue opportunities to pitch compelling story ideas including press releases and interviews to the media;
- Coordinate, plan, and facilitate media visits to Plan International’s programmes;
- Facilitate and coordinate Plan International’s engagements with the media to position the organization as a credible voice for children, adolescents, and youth on advocacy, humanitarian, and development issues.
Branding, reputation, and events – 20%
- Provide guidance to project teams and/or procurement in developing proper specifications for their requests on communication and branded merchandise;
- Ensure Plan International’s brand guidelines consistency and appropriate implementation across all projects and events in line with global and donor branding and visibility guidelines;
- Manage selected vendors to ensure developed products are in line with the organization’s style and brand guidelines;
- Quality control by signing off work and counter checking deliveries;
- Develop a branding schedule to keep track of branding tasks and update the same on a monthly basis;
- Support calendar-driven plans for events around celebrated days/campaigns including designing and or working with the graphics designer to churn out creative unique concepts;
Internal Communications 15%
- Participate in the design of communications business plans and initiatives that ensures the communications department delivers on high-value results;
- Support the production of content for Plan International Kenya internal communications/engagement initiatives;
- Facilitate staff engagement during key global moments;
- Support staff training to effectively communicate the impact/contribution of Plan International Kenya;
- Facilitate and support all communications aspects of internal and external engagement for other departments
- Participate in inter-agency meetings and technical working groups of interest and strategy to Plan International Kenya communications department;
- Any other responsibilities as might be assigned from time to time.
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Leads the orientation of programme staff to ensure that they are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in project design, during implementation, and as principles applied in day-to-day work of Programme team;
- Ensures that Plan Kenya contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
- Courageous in taking a lead, focussed on Plan International’s purpose and making the most effective contribution within my own work;
- Behaves in line with our values and safeguarding practices, inside and outside work;
- Challenges own attitudes, unconscious bias, and behavior and speak up when they see wrong doing, especially by those who use their power over others to create fear or abuse;
- Understand and adhere to the policies, processes, practices, and standards relevant to own work and keep their knowledge and skills up to date;
- Takes responsibility for own performance and development: reflecting; seeking and listening to feedback; learning from mistakes; finding people or resources to help them learn;
- Constructive and optimistic in facing setbacks, challenges, and change, using own initiative to analyze issues and improve things;
- Good team player, communicating effectively and being open and supportive towards those around them.
Business Management competencies
- Understands relevant sectoral context including how the sector operates in terms of funding and governance and awareness of Plan International’s purpose, values and global strategy;
- Manages legal and reputational risk including risk assessment, communication, risk management and reporting in full compliance with risk-related standards, including in areas such as Child and. Youth Safeguarding and Protection, Gender Equality and Inclusion, counter fraud, safety and security;
- Managing activities and resources including skills in planning and organizing, financial and project management;
- Managing people and information including skills in communication, both speaking and writing, digital working including personal digital skills.
Technical expertise, skills, and knowledge
- University Degree in Communications – Public Relations, Journalism, or related field.
- 3 years experience in the communications field preferably in the development circles or journalism.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Branding experience
- Content Management of the website and social media
- Photography, basic videography, and interviewing skills
- Microsoft Office Suite (Adobe suite/ Microsoft Publisher)
- Desktop Publishing
- Ability to plan and follow on tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to respond to internal & external communication needs and prioritize tasks accordingly.
- Take the initiative to identify and solve problems.
- Exhibit creativity in their work.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and positive attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Working knowledge of Swahili is desirable;
- Role model our values and behaviors both internally and externally.
- Engages sensitively with community members on issues of gender equality and inclusion, demonstrating an understanding of the local culture and context.
- Promotes equality, including gender equality, inclusion, and girls’ empowerment in Plan International’s work and in its work with partners
- The ability to build collaborative working relationships
- Uses creativity to challenge the norm and promote innovation and thinks and acts for the wider organization – linking partnership opportunities with the context of the wider organizational strategy
- Communicates effectively at and with a range of appropriate styles for different audiences
- Builds capability through knowledge sharing, networking, mentoring, coaching and advocates the importance of knowledge management