- Residential location (if applicable): Grade: GS5
- Staff Member / Affiliate Type: General Service
- Reason: Regular > Regular Assignment
- Remote work accepted: No
- Target Start Date: 2024-04-01
- Job Posting End Date: November 30, 2023
- Standard Job Description: Senior Travel Administration Assistant
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The incumbent serves staff members going on mission/official travel and therefore deals with different UNHCR entities as well as external counterparts; the extensive customer exposure encompasses counterparts in other UN agencies, UNHCR field offices, and travel management companies.
The Senior Travel Administration Assistant has a strong sense of service-orientation towards travellers and developing teamwork relations beyond boundaries of the functional unit.
This job entails as well a significant portion of financial accountability by ensuring compliance with the UNHCR travel policies and triggering confirmation of reservations to the travel agent(s) and payment of travel entitlements to traveller(s).
The Senior Travel Administration Assistant communicates regularly with travellers, requiring a positive, knowledgeable solution oriented and service minded approach. To ensure smooth administrative support to travellers, it is of utmost importance that the incumbent is able to work under pressure in an accurate manner and limited supervision.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Arrange and confirm travel bookings for applicable staff members, Affiliate Workforce and external meeting participants in line with the rules and regulations in place,
- Creates and processes Travel Authorization (TA), Travel Advances and Travel Claims in accordance with the relevant administrative rules and regulations; respond to any queries and/or comments from the certifying or approving officer
- Advise and assist staff on their travel entitlements, needed documentation and matters pertaining to travel as per operating administrative instructions and procedures.
- Liaise with Finance on payments due from Partners, UN Agencies, staff and other Organisations.
- Advise and assist staff on their travel entitlements, needful documentation and matters pertaining to travel as per operating administrative instructions and procedures. d53l45s B2wJsS
- Prepare, summarise, and submit invoices for payment of travel related services procured.
- Assist in medical evacuations as required.
- Provide/share required information or data which may be useful for the safety/security of concerned travellers.
- Submit requests and subsequently ensure the issuance of appropriate travel identification documents, in accordance with UN rules and regulations. Initiate requests for visas
- Maintain the filing systems for UN travel identification documents.
- May process emergency visa requests required for official travel and ensure their timely issuance.
- Provide statistics of UN travel documents and visas.
- Perform other related duties as required.
For G5 – 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Certificates and/or Licenses
- Logistics, Air Operation, Business Administration
Relevant Job Experience
- Familiarity with Oracle-PeopleSoft or other ERP system.
- Good knowledge of UN, UNHCR, other international organization or private sector Travel Policies and Procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Very good knowledge of Excel.
- Knowledge in UNHCR Logistics rules, procedures and processes.
- Knowledge in air and travel agencies booking systems i.e. Galileo, Amadeus etc is an asset.
- Knowledge in how to calculate air tariffs, ticket refunds and cost comparison between routes and airlines is an asset.
- CO-Cross-cultural communication
- TV-Amadeus – Global Distribution System
- TV-Galileo – Global Distribution System
- UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Desired Candidate Profile: The desired candidate should: – – Have at least 10years relevant experience handing travel related duties. – Have knowledge and easy interpretation of the UNHCR Travel Policy. – Assist colleagues and non-UNHCR staff with initiation of personal profile and travel requests in Cloud ERP Travel Management module; – Have interpersonal skills for negotiations with travel agents. – Be able advice staff accordingly on the least costly travel options.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot